!!

Welcome to ITTSB Forum, extension and content sharing platform of ITTSB.EU Blog

Registration this is Free, to support this Blog please use our donation links available in our Blog page and forum.

Copyright Notice:  All content of this web site this is copyright protected.

Author Topic: GW Instek Firmware updates GDS200 & GDS300 Oscilloscope Series  (Read 1636 times)

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Re: GW Instek Firmware updates GDS200 & GDS300 Oscilloscope Series
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 06:54:55 PM »
Hi Daniel,

Images looks great but you really need a tripod  ;D

ITTSB Forum  pictures gallery this offer a maximized preview so any large image this to fit at visitors screen, then if any one makes a right-click and selects view image then his web browser will load the image at full resolution.

What exploded my curiosity right away this is HRC fuses looks as unbranded, and also I was expecting to see the mysterious Lithium Ion battery that GW Instek was so serious by forbidding removal by the user.

Currently my working bench this looks as war zone,  I am charging several Lithium cells for my upcoming contact current load benchmark, I am also warming up my GDS-2102A so to activate internal calibration ( summer time slowly goes away among with high temperatures, and the scope should be calibrated again).
I am up to do some soldering at cables and banana plugs, I am making a pair of cables capable for 30A DC.

Thanks for the pictures, when my to do list gets smaller, I will take few pictures of GDS-320.

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 07:20:58 PM »
I always wanted to be also able to calibrate GDS-200/300 but GW Instek thinks differently and some times unreasonably.
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 09:36:16 PM »
Hi Daniel,

I hope for you to find any educational insights from the pictures below.
Also you should had pass to me a warning about the DC fan cable  ;D

From internals what bothers me the most this is fuses type selection,  both seem slow blow at 10A and 1A 5x20mm.
Two battery packages attached at the back of touch screen, not a smart idea.
Speaking of PCB details my GDS-300 seems older revision that what you have.
CPU this seems identical.

Offline danosimo

• job title: electronics engineer
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 11:56:32 AM »
Hey,

Thanks for the pics, somehow I did not get the notification of the thread being updated, I was wondering if you get the time to look into it.

Sorry about the fan cable detach heads up, I see you did not rip it, so no harm done. I see what you mean about the fuses, I wander if there is a reason beyond cost that drove them to go with that..

The battery location is fairly understandable, real state is limited in the unit and some design decisions must be made. In all fairness Lipos are pretty good about lasting if discharge rates are low, so most likely battery failure should not be an issue. Maybe more about a mod for longer lasting power, but no space anyway.

I do see your unit is bridged at the 200Mhz model, but could this be more of a probe freq. reference than anything to do with unit's bandwidth? I guess the datasheet for the Spartan can give some clues about the bandwidth settings, most likely by means of a voltage divider setting the Mhz limit. Need to look at that in the specs of the FPGA.

The one thing that I like to look at is the serial port, I see the pads for a heather connector (6 pin missing connector) on the bottom left, next to the power switch. I would like to explore the possibilities to include some more APPS in the unit. It is a great idea to have the extra software apps for various things when you are in the field, I see they implemented this on bench units, but it would make more sense if they allowed people to develop and install add-on in the unit. After all it is provably running a Linux Kernel and the Spartans are quiet popular for measuring equipment.

Also I am sure you looked at the HDMI connector for service under the side cover, where the calibration output is. It would be helpful to see what all they routed out in there for a production fixture and service. May be even a second LCD output?. Surely is not an actual HDMI compliant output, just handy to use with lots of lines with good isolation. Wish they offered more info about this unit....

When I get a chance to probe the missing connector with my logic analyzer I will let you know, may be I can get console access and play around with it. It would be nice to have some feedback from GWInstek with regards to developing third party apps to install in the unit (and benchtops too). This is usually a good way to drive sales up and get more market share.

So I will post any findings on this thread, and thanks again for the peek inside your unit. I may go ahead and detach the upper PCB to look at the bottom part of it. If I do I will take some pics, this time with a tripod ;-)

Daniel
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 02:40:35 PM by danosimo »

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 02:45:18 PM »
Hi Daniel,

I have some answers for you and I hope them to reduce a bit of your questions list.

Personally I have nothing to offer as information in your attempt discovering Spartan chip (how to).
FPGA architecture never was area of personal interest.

Fuses issue this is severe, slow-blow fuses are good for a toaster but unacceptable choice for a multimeter.
GW Instek branded goods are not all  GW Instek R&D, but supposedly GDS-200/300 this is their own R&D and such childish mistakes to it are not allowed.

GW Instek team of directors, this replaced in past six months with new people, new directors closed doors and destroyed PR which I build in past five years.

About new Apps for GDS-200/300 they will not be any,  I am now convinced that apps package was agreed  by GW Instek and a specific software developer.
R&D cost was specific, and new apps will never be developed.
I did suggestions for two more apps,  back then when I received product sample, I did that by offering documentation and pictures suggesting how GUI should look in these apps.
All my work were ignored.

While my own product review of GDS-320 this is 100% sincere, what a buyer should have in mind about it, this is if he does find as attractive all features of this package as is?

Blog server does not have issues to notify of new replies.
Check box must be selected (Notify me of replies.)
This is visible when you write a new reply ( Message editor window).

Good luck in your research !   :)

ITTSB Links

Blog YouTube facebook twitter PayPal Donate Link

ITTSB Blog Sponsors

priniotakis.gr - Electronics division protosnet.com - Internet solutions

2017 Review samples received by

HIOKI EE Corporation - Japan Times Electronics ltd UK Vishay Foil Resistors POWERTRON resistors - VPG DER EE Electrical Instrument Co., Ltd.