!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Fluke 28II battery compartment  (Read 3630 times)

Offline Marco1971

• job title: Electronics engineer
Fluke 28II battery compartment
« on: March 20, 2019, 10:33:22 AM »
Hi, after changing batteries in my new Fluke 28II (made in USA in September 2018) from Energizer Alkaline to Energizer Lithium Ultimate i discovered the same problem reported here (2012)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/fluke-28ii-battery-compartment-bulge-normal/

Same bulging in battery compartment after closed it with six TORX T8 screws.

Then i wrote to Fluke European support (for Italy at this address roc.italy@fluke.com) asking about this "problem".

Marco1971

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Re: Fluke 28II battery compartment
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 06:48:33 PM »
Well as far I remember, Fluke User Guide this is very clear regarding instructions,  assembly of battery compartment cover this requiring special Torque Screwdriver.

Unorthodox use of force over these TORX screws, it can naturally deform this plastic cover.
Any one not using correct in diameter batteries it is like asking for trouble. 

If you do all three mistakes it will get damaged,  the third mistake is to leave it exposed in the sun light in the summer, when there is inside oversize cells, and all TORX screws tightened with brutal force. 

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Offline Marco1971

• job title: Electronics engineer
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 10:07:16 PM »
Hi Kiriakos, in my case i made carefully reassembly with little very little force and obviously through Torx T8 screwdriver.
In the italian version of Fluke 28II user manual https://dam-assets.fluke.com/s3fs-public/2x_2____umita0100.pdf on page 40 there's mention for Philips screws.
Not oversized cells but Energizer Lithium Ultimate in the same form factor AA LR6 E91

http://data.energizer.com/pdfs/l91.pdf

Marco1971

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 11:01:20 PM »
I just mentioned few hypothetical scenarios as precautions that every one should have in mind about 28II and similar.

You better check also calibration manual for 28II, this is more informative than the User Guide about battery compartment assembly.
Also be aware that O-ring they do have limited life cycle, no more than four years.

I did sold my 28II this year, this stayed nine years in my hands totally undamaged, since day one and when ever I did battery replacement, I was adding Vaseline over the O-ring so to protect them and to prolong their life.
Battery cover installation this is not easy, this must be installed with care, be centered and screws must be tighten slowly and equally, correct way this is tighten gently one screw after the other at circular path.

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix