!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Samsung galaxy S5 with EP-TA10EWE charging performance & measurements  (Read 4957 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Intro:
While many aspects about S5 G900F this is known all ready by a huge amount of web reviews and even videos.
What no one did so far, this is one detailed recording of fast charging system in action by demonstrating all electrical parameters in detail.

Among the missing electrical information’s from Samsung this is the impedance (internal resistance) of EB-BG900BBE 2800mAh battery.

Other missing electrical information, this is how Samsung galaxy S5 and (Note 3) charging system this operates in detail? 

Therefore this topic it is going to answer three major questions, and the answers will have some value to other experts with good training at evaluating electrical measurements’ results.

Topic No 1: Samsung galaxy S5 with EP-TA10EWE charging performance
As you may see at the pictures (end of page) of my handmade logging, G900F this does charging by this using a complex method.
Technically G900F this has by default an active current limiting circuitry which this it does self-adjust according to where this phone gets connected.
PC USB port = 400mA automatic current limiting.
5V Generic charger = 800mA automatic current limiting
5.3V Samsung charger = about 1600mA automatic current limiting.
When current limiting circuitry this gets at highest level of 1600mA this now called a Fast charge.

G900F this does not use any simple CC/CV mode that we can review simply by observation of voltage and current.
Inside there is a complex battery management and power distributing circuitry full of controls and instrumentation so this to operate independently.

By powering OFF the phone, any incoming power due micro USB plug (this always limited by the phone at 1.6A) this only then will be used in full by the charging system.
Detailed observation of incoming energy due the charger, this can offer some real proofs only regarding the electrical and chemical condition of the battery (battery status evaluation).

Topic No 2: EB-BG900BBE 2800mAh battery specifications’
My Battery impedance meter this measured 57 milliohm when the battery this is at 100% charge plus balancing (Balancing requiring another 90 minutes).
Now my fully charged battery this is removed from the phone and stayed idle for 100 minutes, voltage measurement this is 4.362V measured by FLUKE 28II.

Now I can almost safely assume that internal resistance specifications, this should be at about 40 milliohm for a new battery = three months after production the most.

From previews experiences with such Li-ion battery packages, double value of internal resistance or impedance this only degrades the charging time.
Triple value of internal resistance or impedance, this translates that battery this should be replaced.
Such a battery will demonstrate unexpected cut-off even when Galaxy S5 this measuring some portion of remaining capacity.

I also tested my EB-BG900BBE at receiving a phone call at just 3% remaining capacity.
Therefore by all my electrical parameter measurements’ among with practical tests, my EB-BG900BBE (this produced about 15 months) this now it is considered as 98% healthy.

Many people are not aware that 360 to 400 complete charging cycles (example  20% charged up to 100%) this is the most that Li-ion battery cells then can deliver today.
Such a battery completing 400 charging cycles, this also have now an 20~35% capacity loss.
Therefore if you draining down the battery in daily base, you should expect a battery to last in your hands no more than a year.

According to Samsung at Ultra power saving mode, a fully charged battery this wills last 12 days.
This is a minimum of three charging cycles per month, or 36 charging cycles per year.
If we lived in a perfect world? Such information translates to 10 years life cycle for this battery, but average chemical life cycle of Li-ion, this is no more than three years (constant chemical reaction this starting for production date, this causing battery degradation even if this stays unused).
In conclusion, a good point of balance this is 100 Charging cycles per year, this is about eight times per month or two times per week.

Topic No 3: How Samsung galaxy S5 and (Note 3) charging system this operates in detail?

S5 G900F & Note 3 (phone) Fast charge system, this it should not be confused with latest Adaptive Fast charge technology that Samsung using at S6 & S7.

S5 G900F & Note 3 both using identical charging technology, one Samsung 5.3V charger this is required for full speed charging.

For EP-TA10EWE charger, 5.3V this is named output, under load output becomes 5.41 V and this returns to 5.3V when load this is minimal again (end of charge).
Therefore an original EP-TA10EWE this is a stable source of power supply, and smart enough to always deliver 5.40V down to 5.3V but never ever less than that.

S5 G900F charging circuitry this is very complicate, and it is so because this is part of a larger SMART power management system, this controlling all other devices requiring power in that phone.
In simple English just imagine one power distributing system this controlling 30 sub systems, which all On/Off switches or even dimmer switches them are all controlled by a single computer, and this has one single goal.
No matter of how much energy this will be required, those systems will self adjust at maintaining the current input at Micro USB Plug, or this plug outgoing power for OTG devices, at a level close to 1.6A Max continues.   
This limitation also explains of why charging and OTG operation at the same time, this is not possible.

Now speaking of Fast charge, S5 G900F this simile to a complex factory, it powers supply this is limited to 1.6A and this is also electronically protected, then if you expect a great portion of energy this to be directed at charging system, then this translates that other circuits must be turned OFF.

When charging and battery balancing both finished, my battery this measured a minimum charging current of 15mA this staying unchanged even 24 hours later.
This DC current it is a mixture of consumption caused due internally formed battery impedance (due battery age) among with consumption from other live electronics in that cell phone.

Adaptive Fast charging, this is a new workaround so more incoming energy to pass thru from the charging connector of the phone.
By keeping stable 1.6A DC current and by elevating voltage at 9V the gain this is more incoming VA power, this now it gets transformed by internal DC/DC converters to a lower voltage but in to a higher DC current.
Such a workaround this helping Samsung S6 & S7, so them to deliver a higher charging current to their own battery, but no one said that such batteries are 100% similar to generation of battery that S5 this is using.
Using always high charging current this causes battery degradation too, Samsung this is technology seller and also technology provider.
If latest fast charge 2.0 by Qualcomm technologies this is well implemented regarding quality of batteries that Samsung using at S6 & S7, this will have to be proved in time.
But even in the best scenario, I think that Samsung did their own math so S6 & S7 them to be no more in the market after three years of time. 

For now Samsung S5 G900F, this is using a lesser complex battery charging technology, nothing close to a single diode and capacitor, but even so this technology it is now tested, G900F by using regular battery this can stay at consumer hands for several years.
And personally I do love matured and tested technology with out this to be limited by any planned obsolescence.

Speaking for the future, this VA power conversions (transformations) this is at constant developing, while Samsung they did use up to 9V, fresh USB cable specifications them mentioning up to 20V that they can be used.
Therefore 20Vx1.6A = 32VA as Max due Micro USB connectors. 
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
I got my Smartphone 20 April 2016 (came as used from Switzerland) battery condition unknown, but after several tests which I did, I was convinced that battery was in very good condition.
Today this is 1 August 2017,  and this is about 15 months in my hands.

Just for testing purposes I did leave the phone to go down to 0% of charge, this turned off by it self by regular shutdown process ( Samsung logo appeared and turned off)

Since 2016 I did a DIY measuring test-bed for evaluating chargers and cables performance, and even charging behavior of the phone it self, this is complicate engineering and not a light bulb.  :)

In all those months I have the opportunity to experiment allot, and now I am aware that best Fast charging setup this includes Original 5.3V charger among with 38 centimeter long cable.

Bellow they are charging statistics of charge obtained percentage VS time in minutes.

55% = 43m
77% = 65m
85% = 75m
97% = 100m
99% = 108m
100% = 110m

While the LED gets Green and 100% message appears, charging will actually completed according my measurements at about 30 minutes later.
This translates that after green light, Galaxy S5 will require another 30 minutes for receiving a perfect charge, and when this is accomplished, then all by it self it would stop requiring more power.

Minimal required power after full charge, this is a number of milliamperes (electrical current) and this actual value it  is correlated with internal battery resistance.
Internal battery resistance measurement this consists most reliable method for evaluation of battery status over time.
At critical applications when know battery type with know internal battery resistance (as new), when this resistance increases (gets double) due age, this gets immediately replaced. 

In summary it is now clear to me, that specific battery did not degrade at all in those 15 months of use in my hands.
Battery condition still looks to be as 99% healthy.
Charging time VS charge absorption this is close to identical from what many other users have report in past three years.

Complete Fast charge of S5 G900F with Original 5.3V charger this is 140 minutes at ideal conditions (Battery - Charger - and cable all be perfect).

Now you may also read my fresh article of New UNI-T UT658 USB capacity tester within 2017 Mini Review

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix