!!

Welcome to ITTSB Forum, extension and content sharing platform of ITTSB.EU Blog

Registration this is Free, to support this Blog please use our donation links available in our Blog page and forum.

Copyright Notice:  All content of this web site this is copyright protected.

Author Topic: Safety Warning for owners of GW Instek GDS-200 / 300 Electrical fuse issue  (Read 202 times)

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
For me as Blogger it is my responsibility to thoroughly inspect all aspects of any incoming sample, but exclusively at GDS-200/300 Oscilloscope & multimeter I shown trust and never checked fuses compartment.

Today after removing plastic cover for an eye inspection of lithium battery inside, I did a sad discovery.
Fuses inside these are made by Conquer Electronics Co., Ltd.  in Taiwan,  Fuses model this is UDE and this translates to Slow-Blow  Fuses at 500V.

I am not aware of whom dump-ass with in GW Instek made such a choice of Fuses, but this is major mistake especially when UDE Fuses these have interrupting rating of  :
500mA~3.15A : 1500 amperes at 500V DC and at 4A~12A : 500 amperes at 500V DC

Therefore it is my responsibility to alert public opinion that GDS-200/300 should be not used for direct current measurement to mains, and all GDS-200/300 Owners are obligated to consult  GW Instek brand of which type of fuses they should use as immediate replacement.

Currently if your GDS-200/300 has default fuse setup, you should avoid using current measurements as safety precaution.
My finding this has severe importance and it makes me wonder of how this meter did pass approval to be used even at CAT II 600V / CAT III 300V with Slow-Blow fuses?   
Conquer Electronics Co., Ltd. -  UDE Fuses

I am attaching picture of GDS-300 fuses compartment and of  CONQ UDE Fuses PDF.
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
This is rather interesting, even after a month time, new management group at GW Instek, they stay silent behind the walls of their castle.

This is a great example of how GW Instek behaves when you actually cough them with their pants down.  :P
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

ITTSB Links

Blog YouTube facebook twitter PayPal Donate Link

ITTSB Blog Sponsors

priniotakis.gr - Electronics division protosnet.com - Internet solutions

2017 Review samples received by

HIOKI EE Corporation - Japan Times Electronics ltd UK Vishay Foil Resistors POWERTRON resistors - VPG DER EE Electrical Instrument Co., Ltd.