!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Fake capacity Sub C NiCd 2500mAh (eBay) - True capacity less than 900 mAh  (Read 4391 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
I was aware that after ITTSB this having a new constant current load (battery capacity tester), this tools will help me to find out complete truth about any rechargeable battery that I own.

Sub C NiCd  according to latest EU directives this is a forbidden type of battery to be sold in Europe, by an exception of tools using them (military use or healthcare).

About a year ago I was in need to refurbish NiCd power pack of  screwdriver/ power drill, and I did purchase from eBay NiCd 2500mAh cells by the hope that I would get at least 1400 ~ 1600 mAh from them.
I am not making heavy use of my cordless power drill and therefore I was unable to evaluate actual batteries capacity.   

In recent days I did feel that battery pack this cut-out earlier than the usual, and I did open it up for inspection.
One cell of eight, this formed higher internal resistance, and therefore this one started receiving and storing less charge.
six cells looking good so far, and seventh this just started having higher internal resistance.

I  thought to perform capacity inspection in the ones with lower internal resistance as them be best regarding condition.
Prior performing any test to these cells, i did perform similar tests to unbranded batteries them be designed for cordless tools, them supposed to be 1600 mAH as new and now as used they deliver around 1400.
Testing of cells for power tools, at fast drain 1.6A they did deliver 1.200~1.400 mAh ( three used samples), fourth cell was heavily damaged (No good for any use) .

Today by testing cells at my power pack, I did not liked the truth at all.

Fake labels of 2500 mAh  out-side and cells these be at about 1000 mAh its one, at low drain test 400mA and at high drain test at 1.4A they deliver less or about 700mAh.

Fake capacity this does not only translates that your run time will be less,  Fake capacity also translates that your charger this deliver higher charging current than what these Ni-CD cell for toys, they are able to handle,  and frequent use of your power tool this will create stress to the cells and them will collapse much sooner than what you would expect.

Lesson learned ... I am going to buy only genuine Ni-CD Panasonic stock from Germany, as I am thinking to rebuild this battery pack for a last time.

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
At my latest battery rebuild I did wiser choices, here are my capacity tests of true Ni-CD for power tools.  8)
http://www.ittsb.eu/forum/index.php?topic=1384.0
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix