!!

Welcome to ITTSB Forum, extension and content sharing platform of ITTSB.EU Blog

Registration this is Free, to support this Blog please use our donation links available in our Blog page and forum.

Copyright Notice:  All content of this web site this is copyright protected.

Author Topic: ATTEN AT-90DH advanced soldering station, all their secrets in one picture.  (Read 8316 times)

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
It is good to have your own forum even about keeping a log of your own purchases.

Gentlemen the back-light of my AT-90DH screen is now dead,  the white digits it is somewhat visible, but the blue back-light is no more, and this thing in all that time it did not worked more that 200 Hours.  :o

Definably I am out of warranty according the calendar, and therefore I forced to do my own attempt so to troubleshoot the problem.

Details of my story will follow soon. 

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Offline giorgos

• Global Moderator
Im sorry for your trouble. If your lcd display is like the one in attached picture, I have a spare one  to send you (free) to replace it.
 If it is a different type , please upload a photo to see how i can help you, as I have some experience with this kind of displays.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Hi Giorgos,

According to blow-out I am going to deal with something different.
I am going to take it apart in the next 48 hours, because I have an active project over my bench this moment.

If I discover that the problem shown up due bad soldering  (cold join) over this PCB I will freak out.  :)
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
There is a new development or finding in my story.

By pressing with some force the plastic window inwards, back-light becomes active.
I going to open it right away.

Offline giorgos

• Global Moderator
So fortunately the most possible case, is to be a bad soldering.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
It seems that I fall in a rabbit hole with significant length.
My first word will be that with out hot-air rework there is no chance to disassemble this thing.

In my attempt to remove the metal cage that holds the display , I got scared and stop.
The contact between PCB and display screen is made by some sort of double side sticky paper.

So far there is no evidence that this problem came due soldering issues, but I am suspecting that something has to do with the pressure which the metallic cage bonds the screen with the PCB.

I will take a break and have a look of it when I will be relaxed later on.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Made it to walk in and out with out getting wet.  :)

Some things are made just to be assembled once and that's it,  unfortunately even this product is one of those.
While there is some simplicity in the circuitry what ATTEN did totally wrong is the dimensions of the holes of regular parts as for example the capacitors.
Parts removal is a pain in the ass.

Electrolytic capacitors are made by an unknown brands called as JWCO and after some research over internet I just find some comments that is just a bit better than totally cheapest ones.
I did ESR measurements one 47uF 35V seemed degraded and I did replace it by a better Nichicon.

The true problem about the back-light was the hand soldered LED, which took me long time to isolate as problem because it did seemed as soldered.
What really happened is that PCB holes does not match with the specific LED system that gets behind the display.
So eventually ATTEN used a person to patch the problem, but the next problem is that LED leads are sort, so to travel around the PCB and be soldered as it should be, the only way to do that is to bent the leads with tremendous accuracy, which it did not happen here.   

Generally speaking I am kinda disappointed about finding inside such budget capacitors, and fragile push buttons, which if you are not careful when using hot-air rework station these could melt. 

Even so this adventure reminded me how crap was my older soldering station, which I had to use in this repair.
My opinion today is that I will never trust ATTEN  about buying the supposed more expensive with more features soldering station.
By such build quality inside they definably do not respect their customers.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Thanks to this topic, this working as log, I am now aware that my heater + sensor part this lasted for three years and 10 months.

Yesterday and suddenly my soldering station display this reads Error code S-5.

I am currently seeking replacement part CBB024441 (AT90DH), and I am making international inquiry about it.
Mostly because price this vary extremely, and you can easily be cheated and pay over 50 Euro for a part with production cost of 4 USD.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Best settlement finding this part in Greece this is found.
While prices change by the day, I did order two spare parts, better prepared than sorry.  ;)

ITTSB Links

Blog YouTube facebook twitter PayPal Donate Link

ITTSB Blog Sponsors

priniotakis.gr - Electronics division protosnet.com - Internet solutions

2016 Review samples received by

HIOKI EE Corporation - Japan Times Electronics ltd UK Vishay Foil Resistors POWERTRON resistors - VPG DER EE Electrical Instrument Co., Ltd.