!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Kiriakos DIY project - Air cooled battery charger with used but special parts  (Read 5289 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Instead accusing your bad luck when using a relative average priced charger which at the summer time it internal temperature will start cooking sensitive parts as for example the electrolytic capacitors, and this will eventually cause a failure.
Here is an example about how to make the difference by combining other parts so to create your own version of a fancy air-cooled battery charger.

The case came to me for free, and it was previously one cheap Mains 220V stabilizer.
Additionally this Smart Fan II A2028,  was a part that I had pay a price premium back in 2005 when I was experimenting with extreme computer case cooling.
An 10V transformer was a remaining spare part from a dead cassette player.
DC volts bridge and a capacitor was also parts stored in my cabinet for a long time.
This white egg shape LED light is the housing coming from a set of drawer light with magnetic switch, all internal parts were removed, and now it is hosting the original charger LED which is dual color.

Therefore I am sharing here pictures of my DIY project for every one to see, yes I have a big smile in my face, mostly because if you searching for an similar product to buy those come for a price of 100-130$ USD but even so, they do come with a small 60x60 DC fan which is very annoying at full RPM.

Today I am able to see even from a distance what this charger does, and my second success is that my selected DC fan moves significant amount of air even at it lowest rotation speed, and fan speed variation is tremendously small, the result is this to stay always silent close to a range of minimum RPM  that is 900 - 1400.

Enjoy !! 

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Bellow full specification of Thermaltake A2028 fan.
It is now an item of the past, but even so it is a product with extreme engineering for it age.   ;)

By downloading this image to your PC you will see it in a higher resolution.
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
At about mid of 2016, I thought to upgrade this project by adding digital panel meters.

I must admit that this was an excellent thought, because I am now able to see due the ammeter lowest input current, and eventually I gained the awareness that my specific battery pack this is fully charged when current this is as low as 74mA. 
This cannot get lower due internal cells resistance.

What is remarkable in my eyes, this is that those Life-Po4 that I am using, after two years of time in service, their internal resistance did not changed at all.

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix