!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Test leads for Differential Probe for above 1000 volts?  (Read 3984 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Test leads for Differential Probe for above 1000 volts?
« on: March 17, 2014, 12:39:09 AM »
After buying one used Differential Probe in a great price on eBay,  afterwards started searching for getting cables and test leads for it.
The specific probe is capable measuring up to 2.3KV RMS that is 3.5KV peak to peak.

My search for HV probes which are specified for use above 1000V CAT III lasted over 10 hours, and the results was negative.
It looks like that there is not any after-market HV Pincer specified for above 1000V, other than the ones that PINTEK is offering with their Differential Probe when shipped as new. 

My own workaround was to get those 20KV 18AWG white wire and banana plugs, so to make my own HV cable.
And regarding test leads I had to improvise by getting three basic styles certified for 1000V CAT III.

Most High-volt applications in electronics is down to CAT II therefore I feel that my own selection of probes was the best possible, and in the regard of safety and also regarding value for money.
With additional 44 EUR I did managed to make my own collection of HV test leads capable to serve this probe and even in common applications by using them with my multimeter.

The lesson from this story is one, if your applications are exclusively with high volts, do not make the mistake buying the active probe with out the original test leads.

In my case I never though in the past that I would ever buy an differential Probe.
By getting a nice Oscilloscope, the thought of getting an differential Probe it starts hunting you, especially if you are an electrician, because Mains & Three phase systems is the usual applications.

The title of this topic looks as question, but the topic is here to offer mostly answers.

Regarding test leads I did get in a huge dilemma, mostly because there is very few available reliable sources worldwide.

In Europe Hirschmann have offerings which most important are in the link below, and by comparison this seller seems more reasonable than all regarding pricing.
http://stores.ebay.ie/Schuro-Elektronik-GmbH/4-mm-Sicherheitssystem-/_i.html?LH_TitleDesc=1&_nkw=KLEPS&_fsub=3567800014&_lns=1&_sid=217640194&_sop=2&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14&_vc=1

In American market POMONA could be the answer but I did not see on eBay any specific products so to suggest.
From the other hand POMONA have today a non-existent public face over the internet,  they operate with the old fashion way of printed catalogs and that's it.

In Asia there is a significant progress in our decade,  this market almost dislikes branding because OEM business continues bringing them good earnings.
Therefore I did choose Asian products mostly because Germany have not learn their lesson yet, regarding honest pricing.

If you do discover more HV test leads manufacturers, then feel free to add their web site link on this topic.

Below are pictures of my very own shopping list.
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix