!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Wanted WINDOWS PC USB-Bluetooth module for U1177A (IR)-to-Bluetooth Adapter  (Read 5031 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
U1177A (IR)-to-Bluetooth Adapter this designed to have connectivity with Bluetooth 4.0 Android phones.
When it comes to PC connectivity it is required one USB-Bluetooth module this also compatible to Bluetooth 4.0.

Unfortunately and even up to date, most to all USB-Bluetooth module they require software support by the operating system (windows) or by its one module manufacturer.
The Bluetooth driver stack in some modules requiring purchase of  third party software,  and in some other cases there is free Bluetooth driver stack at the size of 100MB.

Speaking of hardware selection, this is the tricky part.
Only if you buy and test such a PC USB-Bluetooth module you can verify compatibility with Agilent-Keysight  PC software logger. 

Basically such hardware suggestions/recommendations  they should come from Agilent-Keysight, (IR)-to-Bluetooth Adapter it is their product, and what they did was to skip research of recommended solutions for wireless connectivity with windows PC.

Therefore feel free to add in this topic any solutions of  PC USB-Bluetooth module and of Bluetooth driver stack , which both worked for you.

All Agilent-Keysight Android APP has stopped be developed, significant issues are not getting fixed, practically Android APP they are limited in usage tools.
Therefore wireless PC connectivity with compatible modules this is an area to be rediscovered regarding solutions by us the end users. 

Personally I did have good success by using instead  Serial - Bluetooth module,  but this is not the most cost effective solution.

http://www.ittsb.eu/forum/index.php?topic=1159.0
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
I did some extra research,  Broadcom bcm20702 this is one candidate for this application,  and another one could be CSR8510™ Bluetooth chip.

Recently Broadcom posted one new announcement in their page :  Windows drivers for Broadcom Bluetooth devices are no longer posted here. They should be available through Microsoft's Windows Update service.
https://www.broadcom.com/support/bluetooth

Regarding CSR8510 I do not see any drivers available either in their website
http://www.csr.com/products/bluetooth-smart-csr101x-product-family
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

PeterJohn48115

Hi...i am a new user here. I have one query with me here. Has ypu been able to upgrade their firmware using the Bluetooth adapter? I can get the logging s/w working on both the PC and my phone, and can connect to the Bluetooth adapter via putty, set commands, etc. But I can't get the actual firmware s/w to load. It just doesn't seem to communicate.
I've tried just about every combination of baud rate in the meter, Bluetooth adapter, and the win7 comm port configuration. The "connection" light stays solid for about a second when I try to connect, then goes back to blinking. The upgrade s/w never reports finding the device. It acts like it's connecting, them disconnecting due to a data exchange problem. Strange that the logging s/w is fine.
I tried resetting both the meter and the Bluetooth adapter, and only ran the ATL2 command to adjust the speed (which seems to work according to ATI1). New batteries, etc. adapter in both setup and on mode.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Hi Peter,

Lets clarify few things.

1) U1177A this includes security code for connection to Android devices

2) I do not have any problem connecting  U1177A with my Samsung Galaxy SM-G900F ( as soon security code entered at New Bluetooth device registration panel).
You should do this once.

3) I have also manage to connect  U1177A with Keysight software due Bluetooth to Serial port module ( LM technologies ) pairing of modules this is made manually due LM Technologies configuration software,  as soon pairing this is completed ( security code and all) , then those two modules they are connecting automatically as soon they are both powered on.
This type of connection of two very specific modules this is like a marriage, I have three U1177A but only the paired one will work with the specific ( LM technologies ) Bluetooth to serial adapter.
This is Bluetooth 2.1, this does not support multiple BT connections. 

In summary...  with out a proper stack this offering BT code pairing, any basic AT command set, will not help much for establishing communication.
I am no programmer , I do not know to write script for AT command set.

I hope my explanations to helped a bit your query.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
I have an update, I just did the choice to go forwards and get to test one ORICO BTA-408.
Specific Mini Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter comes with specification of 10 meters warrantied range (20 Max), and also comes with drivers CD including windows XP support.

Full specifications:

ORICO BTA-408 Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter, Features with BCM20702 chip
Transforms any computer with a USB port to a Bluetooth enabled computer
Built with the latest Bluetooth specification v4.0 Class 2
Supports all common Bluetooth (wireless) peripherals - keyboards, mice, headsets, stereo headphones, etc
Backwards compatible with Bluetooth versions 2.1/2.0/3.0
Compatible with Windows 8 / Windows 7 / Vista / XP. Not compatible with Mac OS
Consumes very low power from the host PC

As soon this arrives I will add my next update about it. 

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
I am happy to report success with ORICO BTA-408 , now I am able to perform data logging  at my desktop PC by the use of several U1177A .  :)

One engineer from Keysight he admit that they never tested Keysight Handheld Meter Logger with USB to Bluetooth 4.0 dongle.
But some one took a screen shot of such a test by the use of PC setup, but this it could also be a Laptop with internal Bluetooth 4.0 ? Either way I got motivated to discover the truth at my cost.   

Keysight Handheld Meter Logger software this is designed to cooperate with windows due Microsoft Bluetooth stack.
Bluetooth stack this is another software that it does hardware control operation of Bluetooth dongle.

Microsoft for windows XP did a very poor job by writing Bluetooth stack this only capable for services as file transfer & wireless link and nothing more.
Multimedia capabilities of  Bluetooth 2.0 & Bluetooth 4.0 are not supported in Windows XP because Microsoft was hunting for more money, by developing other Windows versions. 

Microsoft Bluetooth stack: this is able to operate only and if ..... driver file of Bluetooth dongle this has digital signature of Microsoft hardware compatibility.
Luckily for me BCM20702 chip it did accept digital signature of Microsoft hardware compatibility at 3/2012 but never again after this date.
Older driver will work, newer drivers will fail to operate with default settings of Microsoft Bluetooth Radio ( Driver level hardware support).

Broadcom Bluetooth stack:  This is alternative hardware control software, this includes file transfer & Wireless link and multimedia (speaker phone & sound wireless link ... for smart phones),  but this hardware control software can not collaborate with Keysight Handheld Meter Logger.
Broadcom Bluetooth stack this can aloud only activation of just one connection at the unit of time.
Translation: only one U1177A this can be recognized by Keysight Handheld Meter Logger.

Keysight Handheld Meter Logger:  Thankfully Agilent software developers added to it special part of software this capable to cooperate with Microsoft Bluetooth stack in the way this to create software mechanism this supporting activation and initialization of several U1177A modules.

Bluetooth stack & Driver File :   These are two different software tools.
Windows Driver File this introduces to Windows operating system required needs about software support and capabilities of specific hardware device.
Bluetooth stack must be installed only if windows does not include relative software tools.

Today I did accept to sacrifice multimedia capabilities of my new ORICO BTA-408, by using this limited in potentials Microsoft Bluetooth stack, just because this is compatible with Keysight Handheld Meter Logger and Windows XP Pro that is my favorite operating system for work.
My benefit this is simultaneous operation of several Bluetooth radios ( Bluetooth 4.0 supported capability) but only due Keysight Handheld Meter Logger.

In summary
At 4/2016 I did invest a serious amount of money buying from USA three U1177A.
I did that because my requirement (plan)  this is three phase data logging system due Windows PC.
Smartphones and tablets has several limitation and I can not use them for serious work.
Today that I did manage succeeding at discovering undocumented details speaking of software compatibility / hardware capabilities, I am now ready by a next purchase of Keysight dmm, to make my wish an reality.  ;)

Unfortunately this FLUKE Connect family of Bluetooth tools, this has tremendously poor PC software, FLUKE deliberately made their software this be a budged version.
Windows PC FLUKE Connect software this is only for instant review of several modules,  but recording and analysis of several measurements in the unit of time this is missing.
If I can not log three phases instantaneously?  then such a system this is useless to me.   

Three phases instantaneously logging this is a feature of power analyzers.
In the question : Does this Keysight Handheld Meter Logger among with necessary cost of cash for buying several meters and Bluetooth radios worth investing?
My answer this is that even after several years no one introduced in the market a similar package of tools.
Use of of several Bluetooth radios for data logging this translate to 3-4 seconds  sampling per voltage line.
Real power analyzer this can do sampling of more than 15 times per second, and logging of all measurements.

Real power analyzers pricing starts for 3000 Euro and medium price range this is at 7000 Euro.

Therefore for an electrician whom likes to have a data logger and not a power analyzer, this Keysight Handheld Meter Logger it does seems to me as acceptable solution.
Additionally if your range of applications involve also DC other than working with AC, Keysight Handheld Meter Logger this can record testing of battery cells at charge or discharge cycles, and such logging it can further expand power analysis capabilities.
Yes I am seeing the glass as half full.  :)   

And I also think that Keysight should reward me by a free offering of a U1272A for my work as Field applications Tester Engineer of their Keysight Handheld Meter Logger software.

Now lots of pictures of my latest adventure. 8)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
ORICO BTA-408 packaging review - unboxing.

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix