!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: MASTECH MS6812, Cable Detector / Tracker by signal injection  (Read 5481 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
I am considering getting one of those cable detector / tracker,  by signal injection.
It looks that this MS6812 of Mastech is dominant due it price mostly on eBay.

Alternative solution as more multifunctional could be considered this (no-name) probe with LAN tester.

Common complain with all those gadgets is that they are helpful about locating the cable in telephone lines troubleshooting, but its harder to actually locate a good healthy pair of wires with it.

By experience I would say that in a NEW cables installation, the basic functionality of this tool it does help.
But when dealing with possibly injured underground cables, which possibly has occur moister/ water penetration, and even damaged pairs of wires, such cable detectors offer far more false readings which they do driving you mad.

By visual comparison of those two pictured solutions below, the obvious is that the second having an metallic probe tip than an isolated as this Mastech has.
Other than than the basic functionality as cable tracer looks identical.

If you have see those two in action and have feedback to offer as comparison point feel free to do so.   
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

giorgos

Re: MASTECH MS6812, Cable Detector / Tracker by signal injection
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 02:32:09 PM »
Unfortunately I have not ever use a detector like this, so Im out of suggestions.
By the way, in my work (alarm installations) many times I have to identify many cables in a house before installation.
As usual all of the cables (from every door/ detector/ sirens etc) terminates in a point where is control panel.
So in order to identify them fast , I use the following trick.
I have made some short pieces of cables connected with alligator clips and a resistor in series, as image.
Every pair has a different resistor value and also a label on it. For example number 1 contains resistor 1 kΩ number 2 , 2,2 kΩ number 3,  3,3 kΩ etc.
I grab every pair in every cable for example no1 in siren position, no2 in ir detector position, no3 in door position.
Then I go to terminal point and I measure one by one. So if i measure 3,3ΚΩ i find that this cable is at door, or if i measure  1 KΩ  i find that is the siren cable etc.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 02:52:22 PM »
Electricians basic need is to trace just the cable, the color coded wires inside they are color coded for a good reason. ;)

Your work around is good for new installations.

In my head right now is the idea that I hate this green color that Mastech uses on them, and even discovered the same as yellow which I do favor more, and also add some visibility to it, so to not forget it in a junction box.
But the price gets much higher. 

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 09:19:03 PM »
Giorgos this video is just for you.   ;)

As about me, I did spent all my Sunday watching pictures of probes and videos.
I started by looking the cheapest, but now I do no know where I will end up.

I need true sensitivity adjustment and not just a speaker volume control knob, as most cheap ones have. 

giorgos

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 02:30:33 PM »
Thank you very much for this interesting video.
I have done exactly the same. The only difference is that I use multimeter to identify each set of clips/resistor.
Also I was intrigued by watching this video , to build a similar device in order to replace the multimeter.
My first thought is to use a LM3914 IC. Tolerances is not critical on this project, because there are enough differences between the values of resistors i use.
We will see. I will inform you if i will make something like that.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
SPERRY Wire Tracker ET64220 Multipurpose Wire Tracer
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 11:25:35 PM »
It is not unusual for some like me, to be a high quality product hunter.  ;)

With a bit of luck I did win the bid which loaded me with happiness, and I got rescued from getting this average performing basic wire tracer of Mastech.

SPERRY Wire Tracker ET64220 Multipurpose Wire Tracer !!!  :)

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix