!!

Welcome to ITTSB Forum, extension and content sharing platform of ITTSB.EU Blog

Registration this is Free, to support this Blog please use our donation links available in our Blog page and forum.

Copyright Notice:  All content of this web site this is copyright protected.

Author Topic: Campbell Scientific (CR1000)  (Read 2768 times)

Offline Phyllomedusa

• Frog Addicted.....
Campbell Scientific (CR1000)
« on: October 05, 2012, 03:31:04 PM »
Soooo. I just want to show you some of the stuff we are using and which have been proven to be very reliable.
Mainly we use (for standard weather parameters) some stuff from Campbell Scientific. http://www.campbellsci.com/

Right now I would like to introduce you the CR1000 Series which are widely used by us. It's basic capabilities are
- 16 Single ended or 8 differential Voltage inputs (can be mixed of course) ±5V
- two Pulse counters (for tip-bucket rain gauges for example)
- 3 switchable voltage sources (up to ±5V)
- 8 Digital I/O or 4 RS232
- Separate RS232
- Campbell Peripheral Serial Port for CF Modules and so on

It can measure up to 100Hz.

http://www.campbellsci.com/cr1000

Doesn't sound to be too fancy, but it is incredibly how reliable they are. We had been running the predecessor (21x) since  beginning of the 1990's on a daily basis and replaced it two years ago because the backup battery was dead and we needed more ports. I still want to put in some new cells to bring it back to life. The rest is fine with it.
Some CR1000 were used on a field campaign in French Guyana.
The Main station was on a pylon above the canopy to measure Windvector (3Axis Ultrasonic Anemometer), Temperature, rel. Humidity (Psychrometer), Leaf Wetness Grid and solar/IR Radion (incoming and reflected).

Then we had two stations (one on a slope and one in a valley)  which were measuring Windspeed and direction (2d US Anemometer), Rain (tipping-bucket gauge), Leaf Wetness Grid, Temperature and Humidity (in the Canopy and above the canopy) and Solar Radiation (in the canopy and above the canopy).

These stations were running on solar-cells with a backup battery and most times performed great. We just had issues with the stations in the canopy as they didn't receive much light to recharge.

Well, they stayed there in the amazon for four years without maintenance and still work without problems ;)

I also know that some automotive companies use the CS stuff for monitoring and testdrives with prototypes.

Offline Phyllomedusa

• Frog Addicted.....
Re: Campbell Scientific (CR1000)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 03:29:12 PM »
As little supplement:

Here I got the enclosure and logger of one of our Stations we used in the Canopy. This enclosure was installed in a height of about 30m directly on the tree.
The Only problem.....after two years the tree fell down and so the Station was a bit in trouble ;). Most of the sensors are broken, but if you wonder how a logger looks like after falling 30m to the ground....with a tree...... you get the answer now.
The brown dirt is actually residue from ants which then moved in until we recovered the enclosure.

BTW: It is still working and seems in specs. Not too bad at all.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 08:04:39 PM »
An true adventure ..   :)

Thanks for sharing it.
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Offline Phyllomedusa

• Frog Addicted.....
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 02:33:12 PM »
jepp...kind of ;)....

I rechecked the Logger again and reprogram it now. It will be used next week to log or Kipp&Zonen CNR4 Net Radiometer on a 24/7 basis. So back to the roots for that fellow. Sleeping time is over ;)

Offline Phyllomedusa

• Frog Addicted.....
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 10:23:02 AM »
Well, I tested another CR1000 which was exposed to quite  a lot of water (condensation) and didn't run anymore when I disassembled the climate-montoring-station.
It was in an IP67 enclosure, together with an lead acid battery and solar charger which probably built up a lot of condensation over the years. Well, we did have a lot of fog and very high humidity there as it was in the amazon in a pretty special area (see http://www.cryptogamie.com/pagint_en/recherche/affich_art.php?cid=63 for example).
The temperature drop was just about 5°C, but together with the high humidity and the heating of the battery when getting charged, it probably had a much higher impact.

So, you now know, that the logger had a good chance to be dead ;).....
Well, my test has shown me I am wrong. That fellow is still alive and is showing quite a good accuracy. If anyone needs a partner for life....here you go :-D.
The logger will be part of our equipment for a new field campaign in Taiwan next year. Do I trust that stuff........for sure!

ITTSB Links

Blog YouTube facebook twitter PayPal Donate Link

ITTSB Blog Sponsors

priniotakis.gr - Electronics division protosnet.com - Internet solutions

2016 Review samples received by

HIOKI EE Corporation - Japan Times Electronics ltd UK Vishay Foil Resistors POWERTRON resistors - VPG DER EE Electrical Instrument Co., Ltd.