!!

Welcome to ITTSB Forum, extension and content sharing platform of ITTSB.EU Blog

Registration this is Free, to support this Blog please use our donation links available in our Blog page and forum.

Copyright Notice:  All content of this web site this is copyright protected.

Author Topic: GW Instek Firmware updates GDS200 & GDS300 Oscilloscope Series  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Version 1.08
1.Russian language support.
2.Fixed a Korean input method bug.
3.Fixed a calculator app bug when tap ΅§ = ΅¨ key at first.

Version 1.09
1.Added environment temperature  parameter adjustment function for the DMM temperature measurement
2.Added DMM division switching safety mechanism
3.Added the "Cursor Link" function

Version 1.10
1.Modified the DMM maximum/minimum calculation mechanism.
2.Fixed the DMM trend plot display issue.
3.Improved the response time of the DMM Continuity function.

Version 1.11
1.Fixed the remote command for the save waveform file format

Version 1.12
1. Fixed the trend plot update issue ( March 2017)

Firmware update method is rather simple.
You need to connect your Oscilloscope to windows PC, and set the Oscilloscope USB device port at Disk drive mode.
The next step is a simple file transfer of the decompressed firmware file in the root of Oscilloscope file storage. 
Disconnect PC USB cable and locate the transferred file by the use of GDS200/300 file manager.
A simple tap over the file will activate the firmware update dialog.

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Re: GW Instek Firmware updates GDS200 & GDS300 Oscilloscope Series
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 10:50:44 PM »
Message for all members and visitors of ITTSB Blog:

Latest GW Instek policy for download of firmware updates, this is that only registered members by a VIP user account them will have access to such files.

Such new policy this is active since beginning of 2017.
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 10:57:54 PM »
Version 1.12
1. Fixed the trend plot update issue ( March 2017)

Fix confirmed by ITTSB Blog..  I did tested GD320 in all available time selections in the trend plot.
For six hours duration I tested it with my refrigerator - Freezer thermostat behavior were recorded at trend plot.

Offline danosimo

• job title: electronics engineer
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 01:17:14 PM »
Hi,
Thank you for all the info and updates on the Instek units, it is nice to see some community out there helping each other.

Anyway, I have a GDS-210 unit that has older firmware and I intended to get it upgraded, but cannot find the .upd files for the life of me. I have been trying to get logged into the member site at Instek but apparently I dont recall the password (weird). I hit the forgot password and receive no email (it is my personal domain, checked spam, always works fine) and I get nothing.

Also I wanted to ask if you had done a teardown of this unit (GDS-300/200) to see the design inside, and specifically I wanted to see if they are using the same model/upgrade scheme as they do for the desktop units, that is using 0 ohm
resistor to define model/bandwith to flash. I am sure you can see where i am getting to..... It be nice to get it upgraded to 200Mhz while I am at it.

Either way, I wonder if you can point me in the right direction to get the upgrade files while Instek restores my user password on their site or I guess I will have to call them.

Thanks in advance

Daniel

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 09:26:01 PM »
Hi Daniel,

All Firmware update files for GDS200/300 they are unified = such a firmware file will be update both product series.

Latest Firmware Version this is 1.13V, change log this is about new touch screen hardware support, because old GW Instek supplier discontinued specific touch screen.
Therefore GW Instek just added compatibility for their new supplier.

If you use ITTSB donate function, I will email to you a copy of latest firmware.

About hacking for bandwidth upgrade, I have zero information's.
GW Instek does not even elaborate of how the user will activate self calibration, but they do sale their optional cable.

GDS-200/300 it is a good scope but not complete, even today I do consider GDS-2000A as 70% more productive.
My next Oscilloscope will be one 40% faster than GDS-2000A ( less blind time & faster trigger ).           

Offline danosimo

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 09:45:21 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply and the offer to help, I guess it does take time and money to keep up the forum and so we should all contribute somehow. So I will go ahead and donate what I can, least I could do.

On the other issue my Instek login was finally reset and so I was able to log in and access the firmware and I see what you confirmed, is a single file for all models. As for the teardown of the unit it would be interesting to see how they implemented things inside, definitely hardware selected model detection before flash.

Anyway, keep it up in here, there are always people like me in need of help.

Thanks again!!
Daniel

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 02:09:24 PM »
Hi Daniel,
Thanks for contributing to ITTSB Blog, and I am happy that issues with your GW Instek account they are now resolved.

Regarding GDS-200 / 300 , I am aware from first days of this product sample arrival, that speaking of internal construction, there is a touch screen, a motherboard, and a large lithium battery this soldered to it.

GW Instek (this suggests) battery replacement this to be performed exclusively by one of their authorized distributors.
I have no idea if battery gets disconnected from PCB, of what I should do, in case this device requiring any special activation procedure after installation of a new battery.
Therefore and as you may understand, a tear down of such a product this is no simple to do.

In software level, I assume that its product series (200 or 300) their primary difference this is ROM file loaded from the factory.
ROM file this is a container of all software applications (APP tools) that a user will have available to work with.

For example GDS-300 this has multimeter APP this having larger number of counts (50000) when GDS-200 this has 5000 counts. 
Addition to GDS-300 series oscilloscopes’ this is built-in temperature measurement and logging function.
Such ROM files are not available to us.

We seem to be very close in age (I am 10/1969) therefore both we have awareness that GW Instek in order to limit down copycat attempts, they did added fail-safe valves in their product design, which I am not interested to discover.
While after all those years I am close friend with their authorized distributor in Greece, and I have open doors to GW Instek Marketing headquarters and with the manager at Oscilloscopes division, I see this as inappropriate action of me playing the hacker and asking afterwards help if I messed anything up.

In response to your request for a tear-down I have one idea,  we can create a new forum topic and post pictures of your GDS-200 with just it rear plastic removed, and I will do the same for GDS-300. ( at forum section http://www.ittsb.eu/forum/index.php?board=19.0

Such activity it would be interesting and no one will have to risk his own warranty plan.  ;D ;D   

Offline danosimo

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 05:52:43 PM »
Kiriakos,

Not to worry, I would not suggest for you to find out from GWInstek. It was a more casual question since you have had the unit for a while you may have had to open it and took a look. I would not do anything to hurt GWInstek's business anyway just it looks like it is the same hardware for all the units, may be some components not populated as function is eliminated on the lower end.
For now I do not have much need for higher bandwidth as I work Arduino boards for different applications and some RC electronics plus the usual homebrew stuff, but if and when the time comes it would be nice. Besides, I think this is an older model (5 years), but handy for portable unit although it is not very popular because of price. As they provably don't make them any more I doubt it would make much difference to GWInstek anyway.

When I get a chance to pop out the back cover I will post pics if there is anything to see in there. And yea, you are right, we are pretty close in age and we do know what it is like. I have been a global product manager for Ericsson for a few years at the Bilbao factory and I am familiar with this things, although we did not have to worry too much back then as this did not seem to be an issue with the mobile phone division, nowadays it is a bit different I guess sadly.

Thanks again for the help and I hope all is well in Greece!! (I am envious, I never visited the beautiful beaches over there)

Daniel

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 06:31:55 PM »
Daniel,

From my end, GDS-320 portability among with the use of isolated voltage probe, these are significant advantages for the world of professional electricians, for power quality review and to spot a troublesome inverter (field work).
When it comes down to SMPS repairs, I am not satisfied by GDS-320, I am always using GDS-2102A instead.

GDS-200/300 both belong to current active products portfolio of GW Instek, and GDS200 this is at sweet spot of 600-700E.

Last year I did retired my Sony - Ericsson phone, and moved with some delay to smart phones ( Galaxy S5 G900 )  :)
I wanted to be able to use App for wireless multimeter logging, and due my age I was not able any more to tolerate and coexist with a small screen.

Arduino its not a major challenge for this class of Oscilloscopes, even GDS-200 this has significant wfms/s which  99% of Chinese brands are unable to come even close.
Neither FLUKE or Tektronix portable scopes are fast, GDS-200 this is from most superior portable scopes, next competitor with untested performance, this could be considered last year R&S scope rider at a price tag of 4000-6000E.

There is time for enjoying vacations in Greece, and because I am also sensing that we have compatible mindset, our conversations would be tremendously interesting  even by us using a rather small number of words.

My hands are full right now speaking of Blog projects, but I will take few pictures of GDS320 as soon your pictures works as motive for me.  ;D

Offline danosimo

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 06:13:12 PM »
Hi again,

I took the cover off the unit and it looks like they are using a Xilinx Spartan6 FPGA and some ADC MP567 super fast voltage comparators. Design looks very clean and good finish, not bad unit for the money I say.

Also at the bottom of the PCB I can see 3 places for 0 ohm resistors labeled 70M, 100M and 200M, mine placed at the 100M spot. Bandwidth model definition?. I doubt that moving the resistor and reflashing will give me 200Mhz.

I'd be really curious to see the back of your unit for differences in hardware. The 50.000 count DMM is very appealing I have to say.

Anyway, I cannot upload the original images, too large for the Kb limit, but lower res will give no detail. Let me know if you like to have the full resolution pics and I will upload them somewhere.

Daniel

ITTSB Links

Blog YouTube facebook twitter PayPal Donate Link

ITTSB Blog Sponsors

priniotakis.gr - Electronics division protosnet.com - Internet solutions

2016 Review samples received by

HIOKI EE Corporation - Japan Times Electronics ltd UK Vishay Foil Resistors POWERTRON resistors - VPG DER EE Electrical Instrument Co., Ltd.