!!

Welcome to ITTSB Forum, extension and content sharing platform of ITTSB.EU Blog

Registration this is Free, to support this Blog please use our donation links available in our Blog page and forum.

Copyright Notice:  All content of this web site this is copyright protected.

Author Topic: Announcement: GW Instek GDS-2102A oscilloscope purchase, March 14/2013 ITTSB.EU  (Read 36396 times)

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Five hours of hard work about collecting and confirming its measurement regarding wfms/s,
the performance of my 100MHz GDS-2102A it is now recorded.
Naturally with the help of my Function generator capable to jump up to 20,800 MHz.

I did several measurements at 20MHz, 10MHz, 1MHz.
From 1ns/div up to 50ms/div  = 24 reference points 

The collected readings are about: Average / Max / Min (Measured by the U1270A series meters, which have 30mV & 300mV AC range, which offer great sensitivity at measuring Frequency of low input voltages as  150mV & even below).

Today I am transferring the readings from the paper in to a file.
One dedicated page with those results will be available in the next days at the main web site.

Teaser pictures..  :)
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

grego

As I am about to order one of these (2204A) - any chance you could post just a couple of the samples at a couple different points as a bit more of a teaser?  I'm curious as to how it compares to the Rigol.

Thanks,
-Greg

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Hi Greg,

This is a product reviews dedicated website, and every significant information becomes first page story.
The RIGOL has been smoked down by the GDS-2000A, and my numbers are even higher than the Agilent 2000X series.

You have made a great choice regarding the 2204A.
Those scopes are bandwidth upgradable up to 300 MHz.  (my model included)  :)

I am doing my best to publish the info in the next 24 Hours, so to return to my DMM reviews schedule,
which it has stay behind. 
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

grego

Thanks - I'll check the page.  I know you were getting it all pretty - I was hoping for a quick preview of some data points.

-G

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Hi Greg,

The page is loaded at the main site.  :)
Other than numbers I have add some useful advices  which worth reading too.

Now you may freely tease @marmad in my old neighborhood  EEVBlog.   ;)
Those GDS-2000A comes with true bragging rights.

Naturally I am very happy about owning one so amazing scope,
which I purchased it from the official Greek distributor and other than those three years warranty,
they are great people regarding communication and highly knowledgeable in what they do.

http://www.ittsb.eu/GDS-2102A%20Wfms%20measurments.html

marmad

Now you may freely tease @marmad in my old neighborhood  EEVBlog.   ;)
Those GDS-2000A comes with true bragging rights.

Hi Kiriakos,

I never doubted that the GDS-2000A had a faster maximum wfrm/s rate than the Rigol DS2000; I believe GW-Instek is a good company that makes well-built products with truthful specs. I was only curious about it's speed across the full range of timebases - nothing more. But honestly, there's a big difference between using a DSO with 100 wfrm/s and one with 10k wfrm/s - but not so much difference between 50k and 80k - you wouldn't be able to tell the difference without measuring it.

Looking at the chart below (showing test times needed to catch a 10 times per sec glitch with a probability of 99.9%), my feeling is that, in terms of glitch-hunting, anything below 1k is problematic; 1k - 10k is difficult but feasible; 10k - 100k is reasonable, and, of course, 1M is optimal.

Acquisition Rate     - Test Time
100 wfms /s           - 19 hours: 11 min : 08 s
1,000 wfms /s        - 1 hour: 55 min : 10 s
10,000 wfms /s      - 11 min : 31 s
50,000 wfms /s      - 6 min : 54 s
80,000 wfms /s      - 3 min : 27 s
100,000 wfms /s    - 1 min : 09 s
1,000,000 wfms /s - 7 s

Now, if you'd like to discuss the difference between the 2048 segments your scope can capture and the 65000 mine can capture, well.... ;)

marmad

Hi Kiriakos,

Just looking over your recorded numbers and I am confused by table 2: are you saying that the DSO has a maximum wfrm/s rate almost 2x faster (150k wfrm/s) than what GW-Instek says in their advertising?

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
In the GDS-2000A vilage  :D 

We have  2048 segments, 1K point size per segment at 8 ns resolution, you did mentioned 20 ns resolution for your Rigol (rearm time ).

I may use the GDS-2000A force (LOL) by two ways, by selecting a number of segments which represents an specific amount of memory which will be used.
OR
I can use specific trigger settings, and the scope does not record anything (wasting segments) until specific criteria to be met .
This scope it is very smart implemented (designed). 

@marmad Thanks for motivating me so to jump higher!! ;)

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Hi Kiriakos,

Just looking over your recorded numbers and I am confused by table 2: are you saying that the DSO has a maximum wfrm/s rate almost 2x faster (150k wfrm/s) than what GW-Instek says in their advertising?

Yes it did jump that high at those Time base settings with 20 MHz Input signal :)
I have Tweeted the news to Agilent too, and I hope for reactions or their comments.

marmad

Yes it did jump that high at those Time base settings with 20 MHz Input signal :)
I have Tweeted the news to Agilent too, and I hope for reactions or their comments.

Hi Kiriakos,

Well, I would be more curious to hear GW-Instek's reaction. No offense, but the obvious conclusion would be that there is something wrong in the measuring at those timebases. It doesn't make logical sense that a company would advertise that their DSO does 80k wfrm/s maximum when it does 150 wfrm/s, does it? They even made a specific video showing the fastest speed of ~80k - if the DSO actually did 150k at 1ns, the demonstrator would have set the timebase to 1ns in the video and shown that speed.

ITTSB Links

Blog YouTube facebook twitter PayPal Donate Link

ITTSB Blog Sponsors

priniotakis.gr - Electronics division protosnet.com - Internet solutions

2016 Review samples received by

HIOKI EE Corporation - Japan Times Electronics ltd UK Vishay Foil Resistors POWERTRON resistors - VPG DER EE Electrical Instrument Co., Ltd.