!!

Welcome to ITTSB Forum, extension and content sharing platform of ITTSB.EU Blog

Registration this is Free, to support this Blog please use our donation links available in our Blog page and forum.

Copyright Notice:  All content of this web site this is copyright protected.

Author Topic: Announcement: GW Instek GDS-2102A oscilloscope purchase, March 14/2013 ITTSB.EU  (Read 36400 times)

marmad

One of the big benefits of deep memory on a DSO is capturing slow events with the full sample rate and bandwidth - such as debugging the power-up period of a DUT - which can contain a full range of frequencies. IMO, this is indispensable for repair work.

Oh my, you got again in this " smacking the GW Instek face " game of yours.   ;D

I'm not sure what this has to do with Instek - this is just common knowledge about deep memory - which I was relating to rebut your insistence that higher sample rates make no difference at lower time base settings (which they do).

By the other hand I feel that I must thank you once more.

Well then... allow me to say, you're welcome.  :)

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician

I'm not sure what this has to do with Instek - this is just common knowledge about deep memory - which I was relating to rebut your insistence that higher sample rates make no difference at lower time base settings (which they do).

Well my plan is to open all my cards about this subject on my personal review about my GDS-2102A.
Only when I will add and my own views in all those subjects, there will be enough material as food for thought.
This will happen in about two months from now, as my hands are full with multimeter reviews.
I do believe that this polyphony of contributors offers information from different points of view and the sum is produced information of a greater value.

Unfortunately for RIGOL Europe they did not respond in my emails, which is a sign that makes me think that they do hiding something under the carpet.
At the ITTSB I am the Thomas which needs to see with his own eyes and touch by his own hands so to get convinced.  :)

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
I will post some last facts regarding the sampling rate of those GDS-2000A and how it automatically adjusts regarding the input frequencies.

I do believe that this information has an extreme value.

Input Frequency   >>>>>  Scope sampling selection by Auto-set

20 Hz  >>>  10 MS
50 Hz  >>>  20 MS
60 Hz  >>>  20 MS
100 Hz >>> 30 MS
250 Hz >>> 100 MS
500 Hz >>> 200 MS
1 KHz  >>>  500 MS
2 KHz  >>>  1 GSPS
3 KHz  >>>  1 GSPS
4 KHz  >>>  2 GSPS
Higher than 4 KHz   >>>> 2 GSPS  up to 9 MHZ
10 -  18 MHZ >>>  5  GSPS
19 - 20 MHz  >>>  10 GSPS

( Firmware 1.15 )

By offering those numbers the above conversation now makes more sense to people which are not that familiar with scope's sampling rate VS input frequency.
Plus they can compare their scopes if they are actually get this sampling rate by them.  ;)
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

marmad

But the help Button in those scopes has all the details for them.
It does makes you to wonder why no one are pressing them ?

I have some nice screenshots for you and anyone interested.

BTW, I just noticed that the Help screen capture you posted (DS0003.PNG) is also incorrect - it says 'Short record length = 500k' instead of '1k'.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Until to buy one GDS and play with it ...  it is 500k.

While in auto mode the scope auto selects the best setting,  this is manual override to 500k.
This makes sense to me as GW Instek uses memory management as   500k 1M or 2M depending the active channels.   

marmad

As a side note, got a note back from Instek:

I have spoken to our factory engineers, and you are correct. There was an error on the user manual. The memory is 1K points. I had them update the user manual, and it has been uploaded on the website. I sincerely apologize for the error, it was not our intention to mislead the consumer. If you have any further questions, please call or email me.

Moderately annoying since it was one of the things I was looking at when I was evaluating.

Also, if you don't believe Instek, it's easy to test that it's 1k, not 500k. Just put memory to Short and look at the sample rate: (1/(sample rate) * 1000) = (time base * 10). For example, 1us/div will give you a sample rate of 100MSa/s - because an acquisition time of 10us = (1/100M) * 1k.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 11:18:23 PM by marmad »

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Mark with out names one information is anonymous.
I am an GW customer and I need names = reliable information.   

marmad

Kiriakos - I re-posted a message that Greg (who has posted in this thread before) received from GW-Instek and posted at EEVBlog.

As I mentioned above, it is EASY to test on the DSO by looking at the sample rate that the record length is 1k - in fact, you can see in Dave Jone's video (#474 between 53:20 - 53:40) the sample rates at the Short record length are those for a 1k length.

It is common knowledge now that the Short memory is 1k - and that Instek made a mistake.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Ok I am a reasonable man,  I did test your settings and yes I can verify it too, it goes down to 100MS, and now I will have to ask ... and so what ?

marmad

Ok I am a reasonable man,  I did test your settings and yes I can verify it too, it goes down to 100MS, and now I will have to ask ... and so what ?

I just started this conservation because I thought, as an owner, you would want to know any pertinent information about your DSO - especially if there had been a mistake in published specifications which can affect it's performance - just as I would want to hear anything similar discovered about the Rigol I own. But if I was wrong, sorry - no offense intended.

ITTSB Links

Blog YouTube facebook twitter PayPal Donate Link

ITTSB Blog Sponsors

priniotakis.gr - Electronics division protosnet.com - Internet solutions

2016 Review samples received by

HIOKI EE Corporation - Japan Times Electronics ltd UK Vishay Foil Resistors POWERTRON resistors - VPG DER EE Electrical Instrument Co., Ltd.