!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Multimeter for Idiots ? Sense of humor (Made in Hong Kong)  (Read 11435 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Multimeter for Idiots ? Sense of humor (Made in Hong Kong)
« on: September 16, 2012, 02:56:03 AM »
It is known in the all planet that my skills in English language does not win a prize  ;D
But my motive always was to be capable to communicate up to one acceptable level and that's it.

Part of the work that I do at the ITTSB is to daily search for T&M news and new products, and so I read allot of text those days.

Today I have discovered another one Chinese manufacturer named as Digitek Instruments Co., Ltd.
Those people looks to feel very optimistic about a their new technological patent about multimeters,
which is the ability of the meter to auto-range but in the level of functions.
For example if I have a 12V DC voltage, the multimeter will auto-detect the voltage and it will set it self to DC volts and it will select also the proper DC range.

They have baptize their innovation as Smart DMM (Function Auto-selective DMM---IDIOT’S DMM).
http://www.digitek.com.hk/en/new.php (navigate in the middle of the total page length)

I do share their enthusiasm up to a point, but there is some details which needs to be taken under consideration too.

1) Lets replace the word "Idiot's"  and use instead the description "foolproof design", it is more elegant and less aggressive in a way.  :)

2) Currently what bothers me with the low cost meters from China, is that they are slow like snails.
Slow sampling & slow display update rate, makes those meters useless to handle even pulsing DC in the rate of one pulse per second.
For example if in your plan is to measure the voltage or current of a modern NiMH charger with a such slow meter, it is just impossible.

3) My wild guess about this  Smart DMM functionality is that it will add ever more delay at the process of taking a measurement. 

I do wonder what this company considers as target group for a such a fully automated meter?
Personally when I was in school before  20 years ago in the class of electricians, we did have a lesson specialized for the measuring instruments, and I have keep those books even up to date as souvenirs.

What I am trying to say is that there is no need for measurements with a multimeter to some one who is totally unaware of basics about the law of Ohm.

It makes more sense if some one decides to manufacture digital DC voltmeters, for kids and hobbyists which just need to check a battery.

I am 50/50 (undecided) about to send or not, an invitation to Digitek, about requesting a sample for review.

Even if those Smart meters they do not look in my eyes as major innovation, they do have one 80,000 counts model that looks interesting for review.
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Phyllomedusa

Re: Multimeter for Idiots ? Sense of humor (Made in Hong Kong)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 09:55:49 AM »
well....I think they can stay with multimeter for idiots :D...

no, all jokes apart. I don't see the need of an auto-mode multimeter. I want to decide what to measure. Probably it would end up in disabling the autofunction of storing the meter in the shelf.
As it still uses dedicated ports for Volts, Ohms,  and then Amps I think it's just slowing down the meter and toying around as you said.
If they would combine the input jacks for safety reasons, so that you have one jack for mA and A for example (I think Metrix MTX-328x series has that) I would see the advantage that it won't blow fuses accidently. One step further, Combining V and A, mA would be fine if the scanning system would be fast enough or make a prescan to disable the jack in a case of emergency, but I doubt that our technical abilities would be high enough at the moment to safely replace a fuse with electronics

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 06:01:13 PM »
By a quick examination of their SD-5811R multimeter specifications.
http://www.digitek.com.hk/en/cpxx.php?id=656

The Function Auto-Selective for the right input works for : Ohm/DCV/ACV
At the left current input, the Auto-Selective works for: DCA/ACA 

And so the "Auto-Selective" it does have specific limits as implementation.
While it sounds as an exciting innovation personally I do not feel the magic around it.

The truth is that today, it have become even harder to feel excited, when I have all ready reviewed the crop of the cream, of the most well made meters of our times.  ;) 
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Phyllomedusa

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 06:37:17 PM »
Well, in my opinion you gain nothing more than confusion.
Measure a power supply (AC + DC components) and you still have to use the manual modes.....
I think it's more a technical gimmick to market sth. individual compared to other chinese manufacturers.

It would end up as the Auto Range function on my DMM's.....disabled ;)

I really appreciate new technological steps if they help (like remote Display, Double Displays, Simultaneous Voltage and Current measuring, Custom Multiplication factors), but an DMM that chooses the mode you (may) need to measure let me think about it as an autopilot sending you to a random destination.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 07:41:24 PM »
I really appreciate new technological steps if they help (like remote Display, Double Displays, Simultaneous Voltage and Current measuring, Custom Multiplication factors), but an DMM that chooses the mode you (may) need to measure let me think about it as an autopilot sending you to a random destination.

Well I am a positive thinking man, but what can you say when the final implementation of one acceptable in quality IC ( Multimeter processor), end up in a 80,000 TRMS multimeter with 250V glass fuses & poor housing plus a slow RS232 at 2400 bits?   

I did some research about the "High Performance" DT80000 of Digitek, which by high proximity it uses the FS9704B that is a child of Fortune Semiconductor Corporation in Taiwan.
The IC (ADC) was designed at 2004 and got some revisions up to 2007.

http://www.ic-fortune.com/eng/new_product3_3.asp#

Phyllomedusa

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 07:56:48 PM »
Hmmm, honestly I never considered it to be high-end. Maybe if was because of the calculator look.

Personally I didn't even consider checking it out (even as I like Multimeters and always need some ;)) as there are much more alternatives on the market.
If you want a cheap meter, just go a local Conrad (or equivalent Electronic supplier) and check them out there. That may be enough for a basic user.

If you want to work on the mains (installations or checking), I personally wouldn't consider some unknown chinese sources and pay a bit more for a basic fluke or sth. more proven (Uni-T, Brymen, Extech; Voltcraft)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 08:06:39 PM »
I do not  wish to sound as hard over the marketing team of Digitek, but the description "High Performance" it does causes rising expectations.

If you do not make tools for professionals, just say it :
(example)
No professional grade of tools in our warehouse.  :P

Phyllomedusa

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 09:46:22 PM »
Well, "High Performance" is in the eye of the observer....

Surely it is just for marketing and I think even the product managers don't expect the meters to be comparable of a Fluke, Metrix, Gossen or whatever.
People just tend to believe the adverts. If they would call if "average meter" or "entry level meter", everybody would focus on the price and that's it. Things need to sound fancy and professional....then they get bought.

Never trust the marketing, compare the specs!

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 05:35:42 PM »
Interesting things happened at the  Hong Kong electronics fair 2012 yesterday,
Digitek got the Silver Award about their innovative products about Industrial Electronics (Parts / Components),
there is a tiny picture of their presentation, but I can not tell of which product gained the award.

http://hkelectronicsfairae.hktdc.com/dm/efairdaily2012/day3.html

They have made also a better and fresh  page, which explains their skeptic too.

http://www.digitek.com.hk/en/newcon.php?id=7

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 08:51:26 AM »
The Smart DMM design finds more followers regarding manufactures.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2019, 10:26:27 PM »
Oh no .... the super smart design it is now discontinued    :D

http://www.digitek.com.hk/en/cpxx2.php?classid=62

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix