!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Nimh charger - Ansmann Energy 16 repair attempt within 2016  (Read 14510 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Nimh charger - Ansmann Energy 16 repair attempt within 2016
« on: January 31, 2016, 08:25:25 AM »
It is known that I am from the ones which they do appreciate Ansmann as this to be one of the few companies devoted at distributing smart battery chargers in Europe.

Up to date I do own most of Ansmann chargers, some came as new, and another as for example the larger Energy 8, I got this as damaged from eBay several years back and I did manage to repair it.
By owning DEREE DE-5000 LCR for several years, I am fully capable replacing any truly damaged electrolytic capacitor among other damaged parts, and finally all my repairs them are close to be called as products refurbishing, due the high quality of my repair work which this truly restore functionality by 100% and also extends product lifecycle for another 4~7 years.

At January 2016 I did managed to discover at eBay and win one damaged Ansmann Energy 16 (first generation product) not the PLUS which this is the latest.
This charger was in my wish list for years, but some how the retail price of 120~130EUR as new, this was looking to me as rather extreme.

Now that I won this Ansmann Energy 16 at a total cost of 9.50EUR + 15EUR shipping, I am truly happy and I look forward repairing this charger too.
Up to date it seems that no one repaired such a charger before, internet looks dry regarding internal PCB pictures or any technical tip about such a repair.

Regarding Ansmann it does makes you wonder of why? In the specific product they did use H-type screws (spanner slotted screw-head) security tampering screws.
Such a stupid selection of screws definably this worked against in the idea of this product to be repaired again.

Either way, I am now ready regarding knowledge and tools about engaging with such a repair.
My Ansmann Energy 16 this has not arrived yet, but I can not hold my self due my excitement and joy, finally I am getting one, and also I would be the first worldwide who will present technical details and repair tips due my Blog.

For now I will add some pictures of this charger regarding of what someone can see externally and later on I will post details of it internals.
Additionally I did manage to get a PDF of this charger, this has it technical drawing and specifications’, this is now a rare find because Ansmann discontinued this product and there is no any more any product page about it.
Either way I going to share this too, at the end of my post.
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Re: Nimh charger - Ansmann Energy 16 repair attempt within 2016
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 09:34:51 AM »
My charger arrived today, and luckily this has identical damage at 220V input circuitry as it did have and the Energy 8 model.

Definable this is repairable if you have skills and tools, now I am at the point taking out all PCB's for a more in-depth inspection.  8)
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 10:25:08 AM »
And now I finally did arrive at the hart of the problem !!   ;)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 10:33:37 AM »
Ansmann Energy 16 repair a bit of theory.

After examining several capacitors in this circuitry by using my LCR meter I did come down to some thoughts / suggestions to any one planning such a restoration / repair.

This circuitry it is actually twelve charging ports at 1.5v plus another four at 9V.

My findings are that almost all small capacitors at 1.5v charging ports them are totally or partially damaged and away or out of any specifications.
Its one port this have one 105C 47uf 10V (5X11mm) and another one 85C 47uf 10V (5X11mm).

These are made by TREC (Transcend Electrolytic Shenzhen co. LTD) which this is now a dead company.
I did find those capacitors datasheets and all was tested at 120Hz and their resistance this is expressed at tan-delta (Q).
Generally speaking any modern (5X11mm) Nippon Chemi-Con or Rubicon at 47uF 10V 105C this would be a superior solution as replacement.
Rubicon YXF seems to have 4000 hours life cycle compared to many others with 2000 hours or less.
Nippon Chemi-Con series KY  this is also a long life capacitor.

Original capacitors part list.
10uF 50V 85C (5X11mm) = four  ...........(Suggestion: replace them with Low-ESR 105C 22uF)
47uF 25V 85C (5X11mm) = two  ...........(Suggestion: replace them with Low-ESR 105C)
47uF 10V 85C (5X11mm) = twelve ...........(Suggestion: replace them with Low-ESR 105C 25V)
1uF 50V 85C (5X11mm) = two 
47uF 10V 105C (5X11mm) = twelve  ...........(Suggestion: replace them with Low-ESR 25V)
10uF 400V 85C (13x21) = two ...........(Suggestion: replace them with 22uF 105C)

At the motherboard section there are another four 100uF 25V 85C (6X11).   

At my charger I did found and the second TOP223Y sorted, and this raised my repair cost to 11 EUR as sum for two.
I am assuming that this purchase of all capacitors as new by Nichicon this it would raise the sum of the repair cost by another 15EUR (this including shipping).

In my case I did manage to use Japanese used capacitors which I was having at my workshop, and my LCR meter was a huge help at identifying which ones was healthy so them to be reused.

I am now missing few parts so to complete my repair but eventually this Ansmann Energy 16 will get back in action in a few days time.

Something interesting this is that at all TOP223Y diagrams they suggest capacitor this to be 40uF 400V 105C, but such capacitors them have a larger size by few mm but them can not be used inside this Ansmann Energy 16 PCB because there is not enough free space.
My plan and thought this is to attach at the back of the charger one small plastic case and this to storage two 40uF capacitors.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 04:49:32 PM »
Few tips regarding Ansmann Energy 16 history (versions).

My own Ansmann Energy 16 according to it date stamp, this is made about 16 September 2002,  this is the first batch which have a permanently attached mains power cable.
It does not need much of imagination to speculate that all it electrolytic capacitors them are totally damaged or semi damaged.
Therefore I came to the decision about to replace them all with new ( as you can see in the pictures below).

Those Ansmann Energy 16 with an attachable power cord, them are a fresher batch shown at 2007 or about there.

Either way no matter the production date of the charger, another issue is the quality of the capacitors them self, and also the unknown operation hours of its one charger.

By replacing all capacitors with new, this translates that this charger starts a new second life in your own hands.
In my case I choose to use high quality capacitors all Low-ESR 105C and from the most durable series.
I do consider major success finding stock  of Panasonic and Nichicon all of them capable for 5,000hours and even 10,000 hours specification regarding trouble free operation. 

By choice I did proceed to few improvements too regarding capacity.

1) All 10uF 50V  85C ( qty 4) them will be replaced by 22uF 50V 105C Panasonic FR series ( 15V line) .

2) All 47uf 10V 85C & 105C (qty 24) will be replaced by 47uF 25V 105C Panasonic FR series (individual charging channels) + qty 2 at the motherboard of major IC's.

3) At the motherboard of major IC's all 100uf 25V (qty 4) them will be replaced by 150uF 25V 105C Panasonic FR series. 

4)   qty 2 of 400V 10uf 85C them will be replaced by Nichicon 400V 22uF 105C (10,000 Hours) Low ESR  KMX series.

And now pictures from the battle zone...   ;D ;D 8)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 10:02:21 AM »
HAPPY END  !!    8)

My thoughts after testing this specific charger them are positive.
Speaking of usability or better regarding productivity, this charger is a winner solution.
As electronics repair man  I will say that Ansmann did some wrong choices with it, regarding product design.

When this Energy 16 gets compared with Energy 8 charger regarding product design, Energy 8 this have more internal free space for it components, therefore it has the benefit of better internal self-ventilation and it does run much cooler.

Energy 16 this is actually qty of two Energy 8 charger's in to a single box,  I do consider as limited it internal space.
Such a product design this causing to Energy 16, this to raise it internal temperature to a noticeable point, this could be 15~20C beyond environmental temperature (at full load).

Naturally with fresh capacitors inside it, any heat  production effect this is much less, Low ESR translates to cooler working capacitors.
Therefore heat generation this is produced mainly by those double TOP223Y at the primary side of this pulsing power supply.

Regarding it internal 220V fuse, I will say that 800mA this is a wiser choice than 3A as this is printed over the cover of 2007 and later batch of chargers.

In my charger discovered wrong paint printing at the markings regarding those 400V electrolytic capacitors polarity.
The pictures which I took prior removing any components, them they did saved my day.

My next step this is me to renew/replace  all capacitors inside my Energy 8 charger too, my spare parts order this including quantity of parts for both chargers.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Nimh charger - Ansmann Energy 16 - LED upgrade - replacement in 2018
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 10:09:04 PM »
Beginning of 2018 it is scheduled one small upgrade  for my Ansmann Energy 16 charger  :)

I am going to replace entire amount of these ( Red -Green ) LED, mostly because over the years their luminosity it is degraded.
Green LED color this has higher number of hours in usage due to trickle charge mode.
Additionally not entire number of charging channels has equal hours of operation, and some LED they now fade more than others.

Therefore soon I am going to have a fresh opportunity, so this freshly reconditioned charger, to also look as NEW !!!  ;)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Re: Nimh charger - Ansmann Energy 16 - LED upgrade - replacement in 2018
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 05:49:09 PM »
After 86 days my order arrived from China  :P
New LED they are quit bright but green light has an unusual color temperature when red light this is normal.

I am currently working at replacing these LED,  taking out one PCB by removing solder of about 50 pins this is very time consuming, and entire process this can take 4 hours if you walking carefully so to avoid destruction of fragile parts.
Additionally you must be careful at adjusting its LED (leads) height for compatibility purposes with the top cover.
Black protective covers they also must be removed, and at re-installation it would be needed a bit of hot-glue.

I have just soldered first new LED and I took few pictures for you to see.

LED for 9V charging ports they are fitted inside copper tubes these working as height extenders, and for specific challenge I will make a decision later on.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 11:33:10 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  I think that I am going blind ............   8)

I can not believe it that for a first time, I am compensating my digital camera so to darken the picture because of excessive LED brightness.

At 9V ports I did cut LED head and I solder new LED over these copper extenders.

Either way these charger now won another 12 years of life cycle, and next project to follow this is LED upgrades also at my Ansmann Energy 8.
 ;)

Ulf

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 06:24:47 PM »
Hello Kiriakos,

thank you for your excellent post of your repair. It also saved my day, because you warned of the wrong poarity of the 400V caps.

I repaired two of them and both work fine. One of them has a problem with both right 9V charging ports. they are flashing red/green without a 9V block is in the charging port. I wrote an email to Ansmann support yesterday and waiting for an answer. It´s easier to ask, than to damage the PCB, because the quality of the PCB is not the best.

Now I also want to replace the LEDs and saw (you posted it on December 02, 2017) that you ordered LEDs with common anode. But the printing on the PCB shows a common cathode.

Meanwhile I checked the original LEDs and they have a common anode (as you ordered). So the printing on the PCB for the LEDs seems to be also incorrect.

I will also post the answer of Ansmann and if the repair of the 9V charging ports comes to a positive end.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 07:03:25 PM »
Hello Kiriakos,

thank you for your excellent post of your repair. It also saved my day, because you warned of the wrong poarity of the 400V caps.

I repaired two of them and both work fine. One of them has a problem with both right 9V charging ports. they are flashing red/green without a 9V block is in the charging port. I wrote an email to Ansmann support yesterday and waiting for an answer. It´s easier to ask, than to damage the PCB, because the quality of the PCB is not the best.

Now I also want to replace the LEDs and saw (you posted it on December 02, 2017) that you ordered LEDs with common anode. But the printing on the PCB shows a common cathode.

Meanwhile I checked the original LEDs and they have a common anode (as you ordered). So the printing on the PCB for the LEDs seems to be also incorrect.

I will also post the answer of Ansmann and if the repair of the 9V charging ports comes to a positive end.

Hi Ulf and welcome at ITTSB Blog.

Your fist problem this is caused because your PCB this is polluted by a foreign object, I am facing the same problem at one AA Port at Ansmann Energy 8.
Possibly when I did  de-soldering of LED's  from de-soldering pump they have fall tiny solder particles over the PCB and they now cause a bridge.
I am currently using testanol Active Reiniger to remove pollution, and I am currently inspecting this PCB centimeter by centimeter.

Ansmann support will not help you, they are clueless regarding electronics repairs.

I got also confused regarding LED type selection in the beginning, while I did a quick seminar to my self by making an small schematic, in the end I trusted the simplified description of the Chinese seller,  that these LED all that they can produce this is Red & Green and nothing else.  ;D   

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 10:31:15 AM »
This LED lights upgrade it did manage to make me very happy !!   ;D

This is no more a charger,  this is now an LED lights projector   8) (even at daylight).

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix