!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: FLUKE 8050A Repair 2013 / New caps, re-soldering, due LCD on/off issues.  (Read 11577 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
It is very long story about writing down in detail my 12 hours adventure so to bring back in life the FLUKE 8050A which I own for two years.

Sudenly the display was refusing to stay on as usual.
The problem was that after few seconds after be powered up correctly, and display started to fade and power off.

I am a good boy and I do print all my DMM manuals especial when they have service / repair info too.
My complain about this FLUKE document is that is terribly made, regarding the PCB markings about the parts,
I got so upset about the bad schematic that I started swearing about the Americans this time.
I was in emotional pain and stress regarding rescuing for once more time this meter.
Yes in a way it is like an old lady, which has fragile health due age, but even so I do like this DMM and I was determined to fix it no matter what.

Started with recapping ( electrolytic capacitors test and exchange), I ended up to trash all the old, the fresh ones which are 30 years younger, looked as necessity.

Even so the recapping did not solve the original problem,  by examining the repair manual I found one Test point which needed an Oscilloscope, so to detect a square wave at 50Hz which FLUKE call this as Display back plane drive.. 

I am setting the scope, and yes this damn signal was cutting off even if all the other test point regarding volts were at the expected values.  ;)
Long live the GDS-2102A !!

The one thought bring the other and so I did focus my attention on the secondary PCB ( Display ).
I did re-solder all the IC, clean up contacts, and even heat up with hot air its one IC so to detect PCB cracks, or problems.
After of many hours I did manage to make it to work, but with out been able to tell which one of my actions was the most effective.

Right now I am calm again and happy, I am testing the meter for few hours and looks healthy.
But even so I will keep testing it for another 12 hours.

I got some pictures so to share, and also keep them as souvenir for my self.
By the way I did some major updates on my bench recently, those three bench-top meters are part of the new look too.
  :)

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

giorgos

Good work! It is realy worth to fix any problem in any instrument like this, especially If you have spent  many hours to get it full functional (as you get it in used condition, as i know). It requires patient and attention to prevent other damage during the repair.
 Also you have my best wishes for Eastern.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Hi George .. my best wishes for Eastern too.  :)

You did touched the hot spot regarding those models, which is about spare parts availability.
Yes all my moves on this repair was slow and tremendously cautious.
The LCD is no more available, nor the major IC's of it.

Now it is working happily for 14 Hours, soon I am going to do the calibration verification and adjustments if needed, hopefully it will be 100% ready in few hours.   

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
One of those moments that I feel good after the battle ..  ;)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
I bet that I awaked lots of memories to FLUKE  :)
They told me that they had discontinued those bench type ones at 1995.   

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix