!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Safety Warning for owners of GW Instek GDS-200 / 300 Electrical fuse issue  (Read 5239 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
For me as Blogger it is my responsibility to thoroughly inspect all aspects of any incoming sample, but exclusively at GDS-200/300 Oscilloscope & multimeter I shown trust and never checked fuses compartment.

Today after removing plastic cover for an eye inspection of lithium battery inside, I did a sad discovery.
Fuses inside these are made by Conquer Electronics Co., Ltd.  in Taiwan,  Fuses model this is UDE and this translates to Slow-Blow  Fuses at 500V.

I am not aware of whom dump-ass with in GW Instek made such a choice of Fuses, but this is major mistake especially when UDE Fuses these have interrupting rating of  :
500mA~3.15A : 1500 amperes at 500V DC and at 4A~12A : 500 amperes at 500V DC

Therefore it is my responsibility to alert public opinion that GDS-200/300 should be not used for direct current measurement to mains, and all GDS-200/300 Owners are obligated to consult  GW Instek brand of which type of fuses they should use as immediate replacement.

Currently if your GDS-200/300 has default fuse setup, you should avoid using current measurements as safety precaution.
My finding this has severe importance and it makes me wonder of how this meter did pass approval to be used even at CAT II 600V / CAT III 300V with Slow-Blow fuses?   
Conquer Electronics Co., Ltd. -  UDE Fuses

I am attaching picture of GDS-300 fuses compartment and of  CONQ UDE Fuses PDF.
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
This is rather interesting, even after a month time, new management group at GW Instek, they stay silent behind the walls of their castle.

This is a great example of how GW Instek behaves when you actually cough them with their pants down.  :P
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Haggy38

Hi,

I recently bough the GW Instek GDS 207 Scopemeter, waiting to receive it, what type of fuse should I replace them if they are as you described? Still using your GDS 320? so far so good? Do you have some inside pictures? Sorry for too much questions.

Gustavo

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Hi,

I recently bough the GW Instek GDS 207 Scopemeter, waiting to receive it, what type of fuse should I replace them if they are as you described? Still using your GDS 320? so far so good? Do you have some inside pictures? Sorry for too much questions.

Gustavo

Hi,
You did just powered up my own curiosity, about if something different in the regard of Fuses will be inside at your own GDS 207 scope-meter.
For now all that I am going to say, this is be careful when you will remove the back cover,  there is a pair of cables with a tiny connector, that you have to gentle (unplug) remove prior freely removing this back cover.

GDS-200 / 300 PCB this is close to identical.
I am looking forwards to see a picture of your fuses.

Personally for every day use I am using GDS-2102A which I did carefully select it, and I am still pleased with it, but even so I am still looking for a faster than this.
GDS-320 this does not see much of action in my hands , I do not have these days outdoor applications, but I do using it as comparison point when I have doubts.
Currently I consider GDS-320 also as calibration standard, I am keeping it in pristine condition.  :)

Haggy38

Thanks for your feedback, did you changed your fuses? What type? As soon I get it I will inspect the fuses, and post some pictures.

I will use this scopemeter for my vintage audio and 90s pinball machines.

Gustavo

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Thanks for your feedback, did you changed your fuses? What type? As soon I get it I will inspect the fuses, and post some pictures.

I will use this scopemeter for my vintage audio and 90s pinball machines.

Gustavo

There is no Ultra-Fast HRC fuses available (compatible) for this specific fuse holder (dimensions).
500V  5x20 Ceramic fuse this is very unpopular type,  if I ever need replacements I would check Littelfuse relative product line.

Haggy38

Well I received my GDS 207, I really like it, pity the DMM don't have capacitance, but  its really nice and easy to use. Unfortunely my scope got these horrible fuses, I would like to get a better ones......

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Unfortunately my scope got these horrible fuses, I would like to get a better ones......

For audio electronic applications, these fuses they are good enough as is.

Next wise question this is how much money it is their price ( both fuses) at GW Instek price list.
Such an answer this is available only from local authorized distributors of GW Instek. 

Haggy38

Thanks,

I will shoot them an email regarding the fuse replacement and better quality, do you think Instek can improve the dmm capacitance with software?

I must say it's a good quality scope, and tons of features, hope more apps in the future. I would like to see an extensive review from you about its functionality.

Regards,
Gustavo

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
I did wrote an answer for you at  New firmware for GDS 200/300 Oscilloscope series 11-1-2018 GW Instek

When you will get response from GW Instek , feel free posting here a copy of their answer.

Regarding GDS-200 / 300 functionality: Everything they are documented at the full size User Guide.
You will need learning curve time of several weeks, this is a job that you are obligated to do alone. 

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix