!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Hyperion EOS 0720i Super DUO3 1000W charger & electrically safe setup  (Read 5074 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Today emptied my wallet for one Hyperion EOS 0720i Super DUO3 1000W, I have no intention to become a collector of all sort of cheap gadgets by thinking that is possible to get cheaply a worthy charger which can do 14S charging.

14S translates to 14 individual battery channels with the function of balancing.
Balancing translates that its one of these 14 cells has exactly the same voltage.
And therefore this battery charging system is actually an active Battery management system.

My application is to use this advanced battery charging system and for Lifepo4 12S configuration cells, but also for diagnosis and repair of Nicd (NiCad) cells that is inside in many rechargeable tools.

This topic serves here as guide or pack of suggestions for every one who has the intention to use a Hyperion EOS or similar high power charger. 

Regarding PSU for such tools I will dare to suggest to avoid using pulsing PSU of computer servers or even similar things found in RC equipment stores.

My long internet research about such chargers made me to realise after reading other users complains, that is terribly bad idea using a pulsing technology charger powered by also a pulsing technology PSU.

The unseen enemy called as noise which it can reach so high levels that could pollute even the USB communication port of the charger, which can lead to unstable communication with a computer or no communication at all.

Another side effect of DC noise could end to be interference that would sabotage the quality of balancing volts for its channel.
And actually the accuracy and the stability in the measurement of volts for its one channel.

In this topic I would present my way of handling all such potential issues, by informing you about my plan for a totally electrically safe setup. 

The incoming power to this charger will arrive only by an analog power supply.
My plan is to use my very own DIY 30V (adjustable), 30A with copper transformer inside.
There is many 20MF (20.000uF) capacitors in it and additionally eight power transistors (capable to handle 40A) over two rails of heatsinks, plus active cooling by a 120x120mm metal fan.

Regarding USB port safety, I did order all ready an USB to USB isolator with DC-DC internal converter.
Laptop computers power supply can become also a source of problems.
DC noise can be the first enemy because laptop mains adapters are also based in switching technology and their build quality are very poor.

Therefore the USB plug of a laptop is capable to transfer other than data and many problems in to such type of charger.

Desktop PC computers are not that innocent either, they are also powered by pulsing technology PSU, and they can cause similar problems even if they are connected to earth due the mains cable.

And here is my last tip for the ones who have fast charging in mind as top priority.
Hyperion EOS 0720i Super DUO3 has also a temperature sensor port, the sensor cost about 8-9 EUR and is called as optional.

Only people selling RC gear would think that lightweight so to name as optional a crucial tool, for any one who does fast charging (Battery temperate monitoring in a must have and not an option).

Battery charging is a serious business, and demanding one regarding tools.
Hyperion EOS 0720i seems as remarkable charger, especially because is fully computer controlled by PC and has even measurement of cells resistance which makes is a top solution as diagnostic tool.

Therefore my plan is to use this high tech charger which born to serve demanding people in their RC hobby and Lipo cells charging, in to my very own range of applications with the best way regarding safety, quality of charging, stable USB connectivity by PC, and a very prolonged life cycle.

Hyperion made an honest move by using quality parts in that charger, electrolytic capacitors etc.   
If you are living in Europe and decide to buy a Hyperion product, you need to research a bit by contacting first the company in China.
Many people are selling those products, but very few are able to offer a true warranty plan.
The Austrian reseller lindinger.at belongs to the authorized resellers in 2014. 

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Re: Hyperion EOS 0720i Super DUO3 1000W charger & electrically safe setup
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 08:11:30 AM »
Here is the link with pictures of my own DIY PSU
http://www.ittsb.eu/forum/index.php?topic=735.0
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix