!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: New USB to USB port Isolator with ADI AduM4160 and Built-in DC-DC  (Read 9166 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
 Analog Devices released recently this ADuM4160 USB Digital Isolator chip which is a USB port isolator based on iCoupler® technology.
ADI ADuM4160 combines high speed CMOS and monolithic air core transformer technology to provide outstanding performance characteristics.

ADuM4160 as single chip it is priced roughly at 8-9EUR and an small company based in Taiwan created one complete product solution which looks as one USB memory stick with USB ports in both ways.
Additionally the product has build-in isolated DC-DC converter, and 12Mbits bandwidth.
USB power output (maximum): 5VDC ±10% ≦350mA
Power and data isolation: 1.5KV

This new gadget with PART Number : BB-USBISO1 is priced around 25 EUR as complete product, and I consider the price as good enough.

Applications for this product :
Isolation of any USB port that is used mainly for permanent connection regarding transferring data to a PC.
High power battery chargers with many charging ports could cause parasitic interference or damage when connected with PC which has good earth point,  another scenario is when a laptop PC is used instead but with it AC power supply in use, this can also cause interference which will compromise the stable data transfer between the equipment and the computer which receives real time data as for example the charging status of many battery cells.

Before a year ago similar solutions was have a cost of 200EUR, this  BB-USBISO1 seems much more cost effective and I will give it a try soon.

I did not discovered the manufacturer web page so to share a link.
But if your need such a product?
By this topic you have everything you need as info for your own web search.  :)

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Re: New USB to USB port Isolator with ADI AduM4160 and Built-in DC-DC
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 05:39:46 PM »
Even with some delay I am posting some close up pictures from what I did receive.

My comments will be that this device came totally with out any markings, and I had to make my own printed label so to always remember it base specifications, the exterior plastics seems as budget build, but as long this solution works, who cares.  :)

And I will also confirm that this is USB 1.1 compatible and not a USB 2.0 
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Re: New USB to USB port Isolator with ADI AduM4160 and Built-in DC-DC
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 12:04:46 PM »
Due the fact that recently I become aware that several low-powered USB port Isolator they did spotted at eBay (with Chinese origin).

I thought to take apart my own (Made in Taiwan) Isolator and to post few pictures of internals.
My only complain from this device this is incompatibility when this is tested at APC ups communication, APC software failed to communicate with the ups.

Internal parts are exactly as advertised and even Mornsun B0505S-2W according specifications this is fully capable to handle 400mA Max.

Mornsun B0505S-2W full specification http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/274832/MORNSUN/B0505S-2W.html

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix