!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Mini Review of ZHIYU ZPB30A1 110W DC Load 0-30V at ITTSB Blog  (Read 24230 times)

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Intro: Constant Current Electronic Load ZPB30A1 this is a special cost effective product originally designed for industrial use.

ZHIYU (brand / maker) designed this Load for the application of cost effective multiple testing of all sort of chargers at production facilities.
The  idea this is multiple ZPB30A1 to be used in testing cabinets and be used for Aging tests of chargers ( phone chargers, USB chargers or other).

Second application this is battery evaluation and capacity measurements.

In both cases and because test results are of high importance,  ZPB30A1 Load this it does maintain operating settings, operating condition, and collected measurements even after power failure, and as soon Mains power this restored, ZPB30A1 continue the job until scheduled operation this gets completed. 

First ZPB30A1 this designed about two years ago at 60W, according to my estimation within 2017, old customers of  ZHIYU they request something more powerful and this generating less heat at long in duration tests.

New ZHIYU ZPB30A1 V2.8 110W 0-30V this is now looking truly interesting even for ITTSB Blog, this serving as testing gear in my workbench.
ZHIYU this is simply one location in China,  so far I was not able to locate any website of this small maker.

Either way, this load at 110W with improved firmware among with heat-sink and better fan, this is very promising to handle real work.
For a price of no more than 25 Euro this is able to be used as substitute of by far more expensive  programmable electronic DC loads, in the price range of 300 Euro or about there.
Additionally any one whom own a good quality multimeter with data-logging he can use this among with ZPB30A1 and create battery discharge curves of high precision.

Upcoming Mini Review of ZHIYU ZPB30A1 V2.8 110W This is going to be an exploration of my at discovering true potentials and electrical specifications.
Most to all Asian sellers they continue to mention 0-30V  0-10A but such are not real specifications of 110W model;)

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Re: Mini Review of ZHIYU ZPB30A1 110W DC Load 0-30V at ITTSB Blog
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 11:54:06 AM »
I did a great find  8)   some one from Latin America he did a chart of  60W Electronic Load ZPB30A1 V2.6 and he record Ampere output per its volts setting.
I am going to do the same for this 110W product version, and this comparison will be of great interest for many people.  ;)

According to 60W Electronic Load ZPB30A1 V2.6 electrical accuracy specifications are:

Maximum capacity test error :
At 0.5A = 2.5%
At 2A = 1.5%
At 5A and above =  1.2%

Voltage measurement error :
1% + - 0.02V

Changes Log for 110W :
New Delta high speed dual bearing fan
Higher cooling redundancy
More suitable for long hours !

I am professional electrician, I have the awareness that a better performing DC fan, this change it does also changing DC power supply requirements for the new 110W circuitry.
ZHIYU maker always advice PSU for 60W PCB circuit this to be at  0.5A of greater.
An higher performing DC fan will require higher energy consumption.
Therefore and possibly, for 110W model, required power supply this would be 1A as minimum requirement.

Best power supply for stable operation of ZPB30A1 in all conditions of operation, this is something that I am going to explore too.

According to DELTA DC fan website, AFB 50x50x20 series comes in four versions at 12V DC:

RPM  ---------- Consumption in Ampere

4000 = 0.06

4800 = 0.07

5600 = 0.10

6400 =  0.14

7400=  0.16

Inrush current this is triple at start up. 
Therefore just for correct operation of DC fan, 0.5 A this is required for the fan alone.   
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 12:30:52 PM »
Here I am starting to explore LED display components.

Three digits LED this is SP420361N   1534   0.56 inch

Four digits LED this is SR420361N 1549

http://www.arkled.net/

The all idea, this is if I can find compatible with a larger dimensions this to be replaced.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 11:07:29 AM »
While arrival of my load PCB this can take several days, I am feeling allot of enthusiasm about this project !

In my planning this is to create one high quality enclosure for this PCB, and professional grade cables and connectors for it.
For example I just discovered one pair of Kelvin type clips designed for battery Lead Acid, this usable for very small ( 7Ah ) up to larger ones.
And interestingly enough front jaws design, are flat and look good even for LCR use and even components testing.

With such clips at hand, I will make one foolproof set of cables, this will use 4 wires connectivity, and will be 100% safe regarding short circuit accidents.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=mxqtech&item=301697783899&_osacat=0&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=100A+Crocodile+Alligator&_sacat=0 

I liked them that much and got three pairs.  8)

Speaking of output connections :
No rule forbids having in your enclosure in parallel connections of  both.
Banana binding post ( 2 x 20A & 2 x 5A female (voltage sense) ) among with 4Pin Male & Female Panel Chassis ( for  battery type Kelvin clips ) 

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Re: Mini Review of ZHIYU ZPB30A1 V2.8 110W DC Load 0-30V at ITTSB Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 12:04:20 AM »
ZHIYU ZPB30A1  while this is original developer of  60W and 110W and proof this is that they are capable of firmware developing.
Some one from a near by village in China acted as copycat at 60W model, and now this copied product gets marketed as TX6880DH.

I am professional electrician and I have no faith to any copycat design, especially speaking of electrical specifications.

ZPB30A1 product design comes with relaxed electrical specifications speaking of accuracy, and I do laugh when hobbyists trying to verify accuracy by using all sort of trash digital voltmeters 5$ worth at eBay,  or by them using multimeter of 20$ retail.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 02:42:37 AM »
I am good at search and destroy  ;D 8)

ZHIYU this is actually a maker (individual) selling his goods due Taobao (Chinese e-shop engine)
He does this job for sever years ( 2010~2017).

ZPB30A1 60/110W home page :  https://world.taobao.com/item/40366570328.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a312a.7700824.w4002-1824672704.35.66c81f35RbAuvr

New ZPB30A2 this is dedicated to battery discharge 20V 20A 100W and includes internal battery resistance measurement mode.
https://world.taobao.com/item/550235620115.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a312a.7700824.w4002-1824672704.80.66c81f35RbAuvr

ZPB30A2 externally looks close to identical with ZPB30A1 , but the magic this is inside the firmware.

Speaking of firmware this maker it is smart,  according to warranty policy, this device (control chip) has internal counter of firmware uploads.
This translates no warranty coverage if cause of damage this is due your toying with the firmware.

Now few important tips:

1) ZHIYU this selling 12V 1A PSU for this Kit.

I am now thinking to buy and a second unit, for running tests (benchmarks) simultaneously.
This translates that two of such units they will need  12V 2A.

2) Regarding enclosures for ZPB30A1 and especially for 110W version, use of plastic material this is forbidden.
Imagine one 100W light bulb enclosed in to plastic box, they are significant chances this to melt (dis-form).

Therefore for a single or two 110W units, enclosure this must be aluminum ( metal construction ).
Aluminum or metal enclosure, this must have equal characteristics speaking of ventilation to product design of sound amplifier 2x150W.

3) I also discover part name and picture of this two pole connector for battery voltage monitor (sense volts) .
XH2.54-2P   

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 01:27:27 AM »
Unboxing today of those low cost 90mm Kelvin type battery clips.  ;)
I am happy that I spotted them even if they are not marketed as Kelvin but they are.

Build quality it is not bad, neither fantastic.
There is no branding over them, springs are very tight (lots of force), for charging up to 25A or discharging a battery they look as good enough.   

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Kelvin Clips for battery testing and capacity benchmarks
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 10:29:43 PM »
Here it is another step of progress speaking of Kelvin Clips for battery testing and capacity benchmarks.

My DC load this is still on mail after 34 days, even so I thought to finish the construction of the high power cables.
As you can see from the pictures, there is no major degree of difficulty. ;)

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 08:47:40 PM »
Good news after all, my load this shown at the Greek borders today after 38 days of inactive tracking code, therefore it is not lost, but delivery will take more time.

Now my eye caught few details regarding heat-sink and weight, and I did one first research.

110W model this comes with heat-sink of 100 grams more weight than 60W version.
60W: 170g
110W: 270g

100 grams of additional aluminum this is allot of metal, and also allot more surface speaking of Air-cooling.

According to stock pictures 110W heat-sink this looks to be:
a)  68mm  Wide
b)  Plus 10mm taller   (77 mm VS 57 mm (60W)
c)  Plus  10mm more depth  than 60W version 

Sum of those differences translates to:
1) heat-sink close to double cooling capacity than 60W
2) New cooling fan looks to be 60x60x2.5 
Very few people are aware that at identical rpm (5500), one 60x60x25 will deliver double CMF compared to 50x50x20 mm  at the cost of 10 additional dB-A of higher noise (42.5 dB-A VS 32 dB-A).

These are impressive details , and I take few pictures for comparison purposes.

Personally I have two important questions waiting to be answered, and these are what Mosfet part code my load will come with?  And also to find out more details of electric fan (product model) and real specifications. 
If this comes with out labels ( everything is possible) I can and will measure rpm speed with my tool.
Digital Tachometer DT-2234C+ / Presentation & Testing

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 02:17:51 AM »
One of my goals this is to create a proper enclosure for this 110W load,  many people forget that electronic load this is not a fancy toy, this is electronic device mainly producing HEAT lots of HEAT.

Enclosure size and type, and amount of ventilation all are very critical factors.

I did spotted over the internet some FAIL ideas and I thought to share them so if there is any smart people out there, to avoid them.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
ZHIYU ZPB30A1 110W DC Load - Unboxing
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 10:19:13 PM »
My very own ZPB30A1 110W DC Load arrived today after 48 days of waiting.

I am happy about the arrival and I did all ready many tests and I have lots tips to share, but for now just enjoy the Unboxing … My first impression this is that ZPB30A1 regarding dimensions this is not something large.  ;)

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
ZHIYU ZPB30A1 110W DC Load - Fan QC issue CHAOJINGYIN CJY 12V 60x60x25
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 10:45:31 PM »
After getting ZPB30A1 110W in my hands, I wanted to discover all details of DC motor fan which this came with, but my close up inspection revealed a serious QC issue.
Over the motor blades (rotor magnet) was attached one metallic pin, this be 13 millimeters long (1.3 centimeter). 
I did remove the fan for further inspection, and my pictures’ speaks by them self’s.
Material this is by 99% part of one sewing pin.
It makes you wonder how this thing passed ZHIYU QC test and got a PASS sticker.

Luckily for me, I discovered the issue prior powering up the circuitry.

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix