!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Mains 220V Data logging & measurments, Kiriakos did a DIY adapter 2013  (Read 9053 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Some times you have to use your head about making your own tools.
This is a common approach for the most experienced repair man, and I was lucky to see several hand made gadgets in the tool boxes of others.  :)

Today I will present mostly by pictures, the way that you can convert one power pack in to an Mains adapter which can be used for 220V measurements.

The Schuko plug has the advantage that you can measure even voltage as Phase to Earth, and also Neutral to Earth.

The only problem that I faced about making it, is my choice to solder the wires on the banana plug, because they look sensitive to heat. 
I got lucky and only one of the three bananas came close to melt just a bit in the connection of the center pin, and I did rescue it by some soft corrections.

Materials:
Power pack case
Three safety bananas
Water proof yellow carton (cover page from an old book)
Time needed to make it = 1 Hour if you care to not make a sloppy work on the holes. ;)
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Re: Mains 220V Data logging & measurments, Kiriakos did a DIY adapter 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 10:39:31 AM »
Second set of pictures.
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Phyllomedusa

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 02:14:37 PM »
Nice. Well, for monitoring the mains voltage it's fine, but most times you'll have to test a mains socket under load. Maybe a kind of dual-output (one for the meter and one for the load) would be more interesting.

Are you trying to monitor your mains voltage to search for spikes or so? Will be a job for the U1272A I guess ;)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 03:49:07 PM »
Thanks mate ..  :)

Mains current measurments with clamp meters is another project which I have in mind, and I am collecting parts and ideas so to make something .. modern / safe / and compact as possible.

About the specific solution, yes I will agree that the Agilent test leads will be the dominant ones with it,
but from the other end of the cables there is room for many more candidates, even for the ones at 100MHz 2GS/s  ;)   

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 04:28:00 PM »
 ;D

Phyllomedusa

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 07:53:52 PM »
Nice! Ok, now show me the "100MHz 2GS/s" :-D
BTW: are switchable AC sockets common in Greece or is it just for your Lab? I know that from France where they switch on/off a Mains-Socket and just plug-in a Lamp.
Here in Germany switchable sockets are very rare. Well, but I made a few in our kitchen, so that we can switch on/off the fluorescent lights and don't need to fiddle around the furniture.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 08:37:11 PM »
Nice! Ok, now show me the "100MHz 2GS/s" :-D

This is a plan ahead, which now stands in a true base.  ;)

BTW: are switchable AC sockets common in Greece or is it just for your Lab? I know that from France where they switch on/off a Mains-Socket and just plug-in a Lamp.
Here in Germany switchable sockets are very rare. Well, but I made a few in our kitchen, so that we can switch on/off the fluorescent lights and don't need to fiddle around the furniture.

No we do not use switch on/off a Mains-Sockets.
Those swiches controls just the lights.   :)

Phyllomedusa

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 08:43:06 PM »
Ah, OK. I just saw the wire coming out there. Well, you could grab a normal line there as well....sure :-D

....always annoyed me in France, because my girlfriend switched the lamp off (instead of the socket) so we were in dark the next evening :-D

So then....Good-Log!

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 10:09:10 AM »
Ah, OK. I just saw the wire coming out there.

The story behind this wire is a simple one.
Few years back the combo as one: Mains Schuko plug Plus a single light switch (in one package), it was a widely available item, which was helping in a way about making a single hole in the wall and to have both options.
This compo item suddenly stopped to be produced or distributed, and this change forced me in a way to find this alternative.

I do own the building and I can do what ever I like in the interior about new changes.
The double switch is made by Legrand, and it happily handles the amperage of 16 fluorescent (mini light bulbs).
The Mains Schuko plug has its own full wiring,  and it is totally safe.

I did some measurements yesterday, which shown the practical value of my gadget.  :)
Especially in what has to do with the built-up voltage from Neutral to Ground.
With the lights off I measured few mV AC, by turning the lights On, I measured almost one complete volt.   

So then....Good-Log!

Thanks Mate  :)

Offline giavra

Nice little gadget with a lot of use.Congratulations Kyriakos it is a good idea for all of us to make one of that and just leave it on of the main socket and check the voltage and the load  from time to time.I also like a lot your choice about the quality tool that you use as your bosch cordless drill and the hawera accessories drill bit , quality from the first point till the last.  :)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Nice little gadget with a lot of use.Congratulations Kyriakos it is a good idea for all of us to make one

No, this is just for you and the AVO410 which has modular probes.  :)
Plus all the Agilent meters.

Soon I am going to make a video about the alternative commercial product, which is a cable splitter for current measurement with a clamp, and comes also with special inputs for 2mm fully exposed test leads (ACV measurements).

Offline giavra

You are right it suits me well,I'm looking forward for the second part of your project  :)

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix