!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: What soldering station do you own ?  (Read 14912 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
What soldering station do you own ?
« on: October 03, 2013, 05:20:41 PM »
Just repaired my 17 years old soldering station, which goes up to 330C which is not enough today.
I do need a better one and looking for recommendations - suggestions.

I am not willing to go for JBC Ersa or Weller.

Even so this TELE SL-30 it has a proven robustness.
Just replaced all three electrolytic in it, and a broken ADJ pot on the PCB (not the main Knob one). 
It took me some time to readjust (calibrate) the display circuitry to present the true temperature of the hot iron tip.
But now is good as new.  ;) 
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

giorgos

Re: What soldering station do you own ?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 08:03:20 PM »
In company where I am work, I have a weller wmd-03 soldering station with many features. You can find more informations here http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/7209.pdf
I am very satisfied working with it. But the main disadvantage is the huge cost of spare parts, especially heating elements.
In my home lab i havent a soldering station yet, I have only two antex xs25 soldering irons and i am very satisfied from them too. Im planning to buy a weller soldering station (WS80 or WSD 80) as i have already a new soldering iron weller (WSP80) full compatible with WS80/WSD80.

giorgos

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 11:50:40 AM »
Also in company we have soldering stations like this one Kyriakos has too. Good value for money, repairable too. The only disadvatage i think, is the tighting system of the tip. It has a metal ring for fastener but with small surface to reach it with your fingers, so its better to use a plier to grab and fasten it.
Anyway in about ten years that i am in the company , the only trouble with them, was only a potentiometer cleanning and some dry joints.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 02:38:34 PM »
I am currently researching for a new soldering iron, and one hot-air rework station.

I did come down in selecting which models work best for me ( as I am not in favor of all in one solutions).
The major problem looks to be the availability in Europe of products and spare parts.

Regarding hot-air I have narrowed the candidates to Aoyue 852 or YIHUA 8508D+.

About soldering station with Hakko hot iron, the most powerful is 70W which is not that powerful for my taste.
At 80W / 90W / 100W / 150W those hot irons does not have spare parts widely available.
Even one source in China which have them on eBay, they say we do not ship in Greece.

This narrowed availability it can lead in to a trap.
Therefore this decisions are not easy.

The YIHUA 8508D+ claims 28L/Sec pump compared to all others with 24L/Sec air flow.

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

giorgos

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 03:17:59 PM »
Sure the most important in a soldering station purchase, is the availability of spare parts also the cost of them.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 03:23:54 PM »
The cost is another story or better said adventure.

What is priced at 44$ in USA  - it is priced 100Euro in Germany, this is why I am not willing to buy anything branded as Aoyue.

g3org3

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 07:41:04 PM »
:-) Hi guys,

I own the JBC CD-2BC (Very nice but expensive) , the Hakko 936 with both handles and a Weller 80w never bothered with the model.. For hot Air I use the Atten 858+ does the job.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 07:58:05 PM »
Hi mate,

Since today, I am the owner of the Asian response to JBC CD-2BC   ;)

Before 5 hours they were 5 items, now are four.
In a week I am expecting it to arrive.

I got also one transparent Breadboard.  :)

g3org3

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 10:28:24 AM »
congratulations mate. I hope is up to the job. I am waiting for your review once you get it..

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 10:35:26 AM »
This will be a long lasting review.  hahahaha
Thanks mate.   

About this new station I have made one special topic just for it here.

http://www.ittsb.eu/forum/index.php?topic=646.0 

Alex

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 11:26:02 PM »
At the personal lab the ERSA iCon2 - a lot of technology and expansion capabilities. Direct import from Germany. Way overkill for hobby use, although it has some very useful features like the overshoot control and auto standby. It can control a fume extractor or IR heating plate and can support a second tool, be it a soldering iron or a chip tool. The common tips are not expensive considering how long they last. A 1.6mm chisel point is £7. I've done batch production (leaded solder) using this tip for nearly 3 years and it is still going strong. The 150W heating element is about £32, never had to change it.

At several other establishments, research labs, university labs, companies I have been, I have not noticed a model that is more frequently used; anything from £3 electrocution irons to Metcal, Ersa, Weller JBC and Antex. The class that Kyriakos showed seems a popular throw-around iron. Hakko doesn't seem to have penetrated the market at its full potential yet. What is common though is tip neglect and misuse.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 11:54:48 PM »
I do not make discounts when I am buying heavy duty hand tools, when you add crazy force to unscrew a large bolt or nut and the tool break in your hands you will be injured 100%.
German chrome vanadium is all that I trust.

But when it comes down to soldering stations I am less demanding in the regard of complexity.  :)
If ATTEN managed to deliver the performance of those Weller WSD80 ( 10S 20-350C) by adding smart features,
as for example temperature presets and sleep mode.
Then my dream machine of 90W is ready to serve me for 140 EUR Shipped.

Some products is also Way overkill even for professional use, therefore its one weights his true needs and moves ahead.     

( Got my DHL tracking today)

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix