!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Transistors thermal compound (paste) with expiration date ?  (Read 3876 times)

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
I have a new project ahead and this is about making a large scale DCV power supply, and I did realize that I have run out of thermal paste.
Bellow are pictures of what I got today and most interesting part this is expiration date over the package.

What is also interesting, this is that in past decade I did get involved with computers overclock madness but what I did was not to overclock the hardware that much, instead what I did was to use best thermal compounds and best heat-sink and DC motors in favor of Low-Noise & highly effective air cooling.

Thermal compound with higher efficiency this is made by mixing metallic particles with regular silicone paste.
Theoretically regular silicone paste has only one enemy and this is extreme heat which makes it dry as a brick.

In applications of transistors TO-3 package, temperature never expended be higher of 45C, therefore regular silicone paste life-cycle this is endless. 

I think of expiration date of unused thermal compound as marketing trick.
An manufactured Game of mind, in favor of enlarging demand for one unpopular product.

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Re: Transistors thermal compound (paste) with expiration date ?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 10:42:25 PM »
I believe that this Blog post worth an update.   :)

The thermal paste  this is now three years old in my hands, and there is no indication of aging.
I am also assuming as origin an German supplier.
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix