!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: History facts Tektronix DMM4050 & Fluke 8846A 6.5 digit warranty / repair 2019  (Read 19136 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Re: SCHURTER KG10 or KG10.6101.151 ( IEC C14 ) Power entry module review
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2019, 12:30:25 PM »
I have good news to share  :)

SCHURTER HQ Lead Qualifier, accepted my sample request and product this is shipped today with TNT economy.

Therefore my very own exploration of KG10 quality standards by the use of highest quality Milliohm Meter  RM3542A
(from HIOKI Japan) this will happen soon.    8)
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2019, 01:18:21 PM »
Did you known that Switzerland this is NOT EUROPE ? 
Even so there is a hidden LAW this aloud Duty-Free if your item worth less than 4.5 EUR, this is equal to a chocolate bar from not a famous brand  :P

Lesson learned, even for free samples from Switzerland,  be aware of 30 EUR customs clearance Fee, in case that your item does not qualify as Duty Free.

In conclusion this project came close to get canceled because of importation fee, but after explaining to local authorities product value and details, their positive decision this now aloud this project to be continued and completed.  :)   

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2019, 09:01:03 PM »
As first I wish to thanks Schurter for this product sample.   :)

My very own afterthought for requesting such a sample was for me to discover switch contacts resistance of a 100% healthy switch and also to perform a second inspection  measurement, this be usable by a troubleshooter , so him to be able to make a judgment of this module health status.

Most usual thing and thought, this is people buying also a used DMM, while we all pay attention to inspect a used multimeter in the regard of measurements’ accuracy, exterior product condition, most ones never think that mains power switch condition this has great importance too.

An mains power switch with issues, this can be the cause so sparks at contacts area to appear, such a sparking event it can influence power supply stability, and a multimeter or Oscilloscope this introducing noise when it does measurements’.

From my experiences, a failing power switch this be in the input of a pulsing power supply, it will introduce noticeable noise at DCV rails these feeding an oscilloscope.
Review of known clean Test waveforms will become a challenge, because all waveforms on screen will now appear with noise. 

Now the same failing power switch, if this feeding an classic transformer it would not demonstrate fast to notice side-effects, but eventually sparking will increase temperature and the danger of starting a fire.
But among possibilities there is and another one, some people discovered that while their benchtop multimeter was on soft-power mode (VFD was OFF), when them returned the next day, the meter was turned on.
If Mains voltage did not interrupted due power company issues, then the power switch it self, this started failing.

DMM4050, 4040, 8845A & 8846A all using analog DCV regulation among with switching power supply for the VFD Dot matrix display,  now increased noise at the side of switching power supply, this it could possibly increase noise floor at mV measurements and or other issues.

Therefore and in conclusion, a good inspection of power switch condition this will save you the day.

At specific Schurter power module, power switch this is permanently attached and soldered, in my review I could hardly find clean copper area so to place my Kelvin clips directly at power switch leads.
Even so I did manage to get a good repeatable measurement, and now I am aware that contacts resistance this is 0.5 milliohm.   

My second mission was less difficult, I did select most easily accessible area for Kelvin clips installation, and now this new 3 milliohm measurement this is what every one can use as comparison point.

From today any troubleshooter and visitor of ITTSB blog, he may perform two measurements’ and discover health status of this power switch.
First test lead it should be placed over IEC plug pin, and the second test lead it should touch center pad of fuse holder.
Then just repeat this test with second active IEC plug pin and relative fuse holder pad.
Such an inspection it is now possible with out taking off DMM case, and by this way you may find the truth by not destroying calibration sticker at the bottom of the DMM.

ITTSB Blog and me in person, I am original content creator, this translates that you are receivers of worthy information that you may use and make money.
Therefore feel free using donation links, and demonstrate you appreciation to my Blog with actions.

Regarding Schurter this is a very reliable products maker, but most retail customers can hardly find reasonably priced goods because all three web-shop distributors and their international sales partners, they acting very hostile regarding retail prices.
I did find KG10 this priced at 23 EUR for a single unit, and shipping pricing will add another 18 EUR at least, this makes a total of 41 EUR which I will describe as severe violation of anything called as reasonable price tag.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Due this message I wish to inform any troubleshooter taking seriously contacts resistance measurements,  that he may also read my article  Best multimeter for DPST Rocker Switch contacts resistance? 

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Here I will present an issue relative to DMM4050 display Filter  tint and brightness.
I am researching for two months by asking Fluke factory and Tektronix about the date that production factory this stop using Blue Tint VFD filter?

Blue Tint VFD filter this is unreasonably dark, a poor product design and decision of Tektronix which this ended approximately at April 2013, since then and after any newer produced models they carry a Green Tint VFD filter.

Green Tint VFD filter this is what FLUKE DMM models using from the start.
My very own used DMM4050 this production of January 2013, this arrived with Blue Tint VFD filter, immediately I did notice how terrible this is regarding reduced brightness at not acceptable, even under using only in-door lights (at night).

It is unfortunate that FLUKE and Tektronix both do not recognize their old mistake.
Reasonable response would be a newer produced Green Tint VFD filter to be sent free of charge as replacement at any customer whom considers earlier Blue Tint VFD filter as problematic.

While both companies they did not deliver answers in my question, I did discover the truth by my self after cooperating with another ITTSB blog member whom he did sent me pictures of his own DMM4050, this is two months newer production from my own DMM4050.

FLUKE were kind to inform me of recent inventory spare-parts codes, which they can deliver to consumers’  (TEK branded parts).

3476886   4050-2014,LENS 
3476939   4040-8003,FRONT PANEL DECAL 

3476988    4020-2010,FRONT BOOT
3476963    4020-2008,HANDLE

S1 - 8846A-8001,KEYPAD 2454042

944277    FILTER PART ,FILTER,LINE,PART,FUSE DRWR W/SHRT BAR
944272    FILTER PART ,FILTER,LINE,PART,VOLTAGE SELECTOR

Since begging of April 2019, I am now trying to discover how prepared Tektronix Europe this is at handling such spare parts requests.
a) Are they keeping any stock of spare parts in Europe?
b) Are they aware of spare parts codes and pricing?

Head office of entire Europe this is in Poland.
Mr. Maciej Holubowicz he is in charge, we did exchange emails, and now I expecting for final answers.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
If some one advice’s you to read complete user manual of your new DMM this is because there is no other way of you to get truly familiarized with it. 

I will not give free fish but I will motivate ITTSB Blog readers to connect Trigger I/O output with nothing less than a workhorse oscilloscope, and then you will be able to verify measurement per second execution or also this described as measurement rate.
Its one completed measurement this delivers a confirmation Trigger signal.
By measuring in the unit of time total amount of confirmations, you are now able to verify measurement rate.

Testing process this is identical as when we inspect oscilloscope frame rate Wfms/s.
Sum of completed waveforms they are measured by the use of a frequency counter.

The only limitation here this is limited ability of oscilloscope it self at capturing lower signals than 2Hz update rate, but this is nothing major as obstacle, you may use oscilloscope memory so this to record slower signals and measure the update rate on screen with out expecting frequency counter this to deliver the measurement.

First oscilloscope screenshot this is single Trigger I/O pulse, other screenshots these are my tests under DCV measurements’ under specific NPLC.

Offline Andrew-88

• job title: Electrician
I am now officially Owner of a used DMM4050.  8)

Hi Kiriakos, congratulations for getting your BeNcH tOp DMM  :) 8)
It is obvious that wile specific DMM hardware this is according to your own high standards (or close enough), your smile was traumatized by discovering poor customer support performance offered by Tektronix.

From purchase date of your used DMM, that is two months of ownership so far, you did a great job at finding of what Tektronix this hiding under the carpet:
DMM4000 series with out software, a dark unusable Lens were installed at older produced DMM and Tektronix customer support this looks unprepared to handle a single spare part purchase request.

I think that all eyes are over your activities right now.
In the end of the day if Tektronix wants to join list of brands with appalling customer service, neither you can stop them.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu

Hi Kiriakos, congratulations for getting your BeNcH tOp DMM  :) 8)

Thanks mate !

I did count my own buying decision over several factors, one of them was trouble free purchase of spare parts related to aesthetics improvements.
Either in new products or used ones, accidents happen,  you may need a knob or a filter? or to replace the handle.

Yes my smile this is temporarily traumatized, because I have feelings for my tools,  other than great performers they should have acceptable appearance.
For my third U1272A which I got it used from UK end of 2018, purchasing from Keysight Partner in Greece of a new top cover with knob this was not difficult.
This month I am expecting delivery. 

In the positive side of things, I never had before a DMM this be capable for Volt and Ampere measurements at the same time either.  8)   

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
I have a note to share, especially for owners of 8846A within EU.
They can purchase a New Lens if they ever need it, at the cost of 12.50 EUR plus VAT of their country.
This information came to me from fresh appointed distributor of Fluke in Greece.
Part code 2454074   

Regarding Tektronix, soon I am going to receive price list of available spare parts for DMM4050, Lens, Front Boot, Handle, Banana inputs decal and Keyboard.

Today I did also receive tracking code of my Keysight parts for U1272A, Greek orthodox Passover holidays is on the way, therefore nothing moves at high speed. :)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
This message it is official reply of
Tektronix / Keithley Europe regarding spare parts and repairs about their products.

Originally I did start my research, so to discover necessary spare parts codes so to order them from Tektronix / Keithley Europe.
We are talking here about cheap consumables (plastic handle, rubber boot, a rubber keyboard), the small things which easily may get damaged or get lost.

After two months time and several emails exchange with Tektronix / Keithley-Europe, the outcome this is an unorthodox reply.

Tektronix / Keithley Europe this has internal policy and this is not supplying a single spare part at consumer hands.
Tektronix / Keithley Europe, Product support team this has the expectation that its customer with a broken plastic handle, he will ship the instrument from Greece to Germany, him paying double shipping cost (send & return) ,  and total bill this including spare part value and labor fee.

While such policies they do find me against them, and personally I would never give my euro coin buying new equipment's from such brands, by these news I do feel happy.
I feel happy because with such policies those causing despair at current Tektronix / Keithley customers base, these people (customers) in their desperation they are now forced to settle for less (speaking of reselling value) on eBay or elsewhere regarding used equipment's.

In the past three years Tektronix / Keithley this replaced two presidents, and a third one just take over in April 2019, now it seems that no one was capable to foresee impact of their own decisions (company strategy) regarding influence of their planning in the market of used equipment which this is not under their control.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
These days I made good use of another SMART-trick that Fluke 8846A this is capable of.  :)

At memory menu you may store current configuration (user selection of range and impedance) and also set this as default power on configuration.

I am currently testing a Lithium battery pack of 6S configuration with BMS (25.2V).
By using 8846A -> store current configuration -> DCV range 100V and high impedance ,  I manage to keep auto-range out of the game, and measurements of 3V or 25V they are speed-ed up.
As long I am working with this specific project I will keep this boot-profile which this helps greatly my productivity !  ;)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Tektronix DMM4050 DMM4040 & Fluke 8846A 8845A firmware update experience
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2019, 09:54:26 AM »
I was forced to steal images from Asian forum and compose these two images.  :)
While on these DMM firmware development this ended 10 years ago, and no one will make use of posted information, even so this is a rare experience for us owning such DMM.

Fluke 8846/8845 Firmware documentation helped me to clarify that DMM with 100mA current input this is previews product than 23 August 2007.

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix