!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: ITTSB project 2017: ZS-PD9 Step Up Power Module ( Boost DC-DC ) up to 60V  (Read 3005 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Technically ZS-PD9 module is based at quad Darlington switches and actually at UDN-2843B IC.
The actual IC over this PCB is 2843B PEZR which seems as unknown to all search engines.

This August I though to make good use of this module.
I did patiently wait for one pair of dual panel meters among with one ten turn 100Kb pot, them to arrive in Greece from China.
One plastic project box this now going to be reused as enclosure for this project.

Electrical specifications:
ZS-PD9 module input voltage 10~40V DC
Output voltage 12 ~ 60V (adjustable).
Named power: 160W
Working frequency: 150 KHZ

Highest conversion efficiency:  95%  (Efficiency this is relative to input voltage and output load in VA/Watt)
No Reverse polarity protection in the Input External diode and Fuse box should be added.

In the past I did test ZS-PD9 module just once, this serving as e-bike charger, unfortunately for an output of 43V 2~3A, this module was using an enormous amount of current at input voltage of 24 DC.
Additionally this started to heat up allot, default PCB aluminum holder this is a problematic design which does not allow even passive cooling.

Therefore I knew that this module it does require from me to reinvent the wheel, so this to become usable. 
Pictures bellow, these are my first steps of assembly, of a much more improved  Step-Up Power Module ( Boost ) up to 60V. 

After finishing this project, I would become aware of how much of named Watt power, I will be able to use.
For active cooling I did use this 24V DC fan Blower ( Which I salvaged for an laser printer),  DC fan Noise level this is low, and it would be powered directly from input voltage.

With these two DC voltmeter / Ammeter , I would be constantly aware of important electrical parameters.

This project it is now active and next update will come very soon.  ;) 

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Re: ITTSB project 2017: ZS-PD9 Step Up Power Module ( Boost DC-DC ) up to 60V
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 10:34:49 PM »
They say: If something can go wrong ... it will  ;D

One of the two panel meters which I had originally select for this project this suddenly quit working as ammeter.
Last moment change this was to replace it with a voltage meter, simply because I do not trust any half working meter.
Now I can check input current by looking at the meters of my power supply.

Output Voltmeter Ammeter this working well.
Since the beginning I did add 24V stabilizer, this is power source for output Voltmeter/Ammeter and also for DC Blower.

Single voltmeter (at input) this is limited to 33V (measurement) and has it own DC stabilizer.
Practically input voltage this never required to be more that 10V for 60V output.
And neither my PSU this is able for higher output of 37V at 10A, therefore this setup it is Risk-free.

Right now I am very happy that I did manage to finish assembly despite the unexpected damage (Ammeter IC this shorted internally).

Next step for me this would be electrical performance tests as confirmation of ZS-PD9 efficiency specifications.   ;)
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
I have few happy thoughts to share after testing my gadget, and mainly they are about success at air-cooling method that I did use.
ZS-PD9 with 12V as input and by this having an 24V output at 4A load and 8A consumption from the source (that is close 10A max), this managed to stay at 32C.
These news translates that I can use entire 160W Max of it potentials with out fear that this will be in flames.

Buck Voltage Converter this is a rough way of boosting or step down energy.
Noise level of produced DC this simile to orchestra of Asian drums, practically Buck Voltage Converter they can happily cooperate in applications in which another power supply will use their energy and feed it to the load.

For example specific module this is designed to serve mainly to voltage conversion of cars voltages.
12 -> 24
Other applications for it they are much rare,  as for example  24V ->36  or 24V -> 48V
In such rare applications it is expected temperature of the module to raise much higher than when this works at 12V->24,  my tests shown to me that at such condition even with out active cooling temperature never gets at dangerous limits for the health of active components (70 Celsius).

In an older experiment of my in which I did try to use ZS-PD9 as charger for the battery of my electric bicycle, by setting output voltage to 42V with input of 24V 10A, heat sink it did become extremely hot.
At this configuration I was wasting 240W of incoming energy and I was getting 42V and almost 3.2A ( about 150W ), therefore 100W were loses them converted in to heat.

In conclusion any Buck Voltage Converter this does boost or step-down more than 12V from the source voltage, this eventually it will heat up allot.
Many kids buying from eBay cheap Buck converter with LCD screen so this to be used as laboratory power supply,  but what they are not aware of, this is how much actual power in watts this gets wasted by such cheap Buck converter when this turning in to heat.

Finally when you do use cheap Buck converter and you do not own a real oscilloscope, your are much happier.     
Rough energy conversion of Buck converter, this can not be truly filtered even if you do add a huge in capacity electrolytic capacitor of 15000uF and current this be just of few Amperes.
DC voltage loaded with parasitic frequencies, it could cause issues if you do try to power with it a portable TV (24V) from a 12V battery.

Therefore to sum up, Buck converters they suffer from thermal losses when they multiply or divide source voltage more than two times (2X).
DC voltage loaded with parasitic frequencies it can power incandescent light bulbs or LED,  or we can use this energy for power conversion purposes.
But personally I would not trust one cheap Buck converter this to charge my costly laptop at 19V.

My personal use of ZS-PD9 this will be for testing electrolytic capacitors up to 60V (63V) specification, my own (quality made) laboratory DC power supply can go up to 35V.
Therefore one Buck converter of few Euros worth, it did saved my day.   ;)

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix