!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Agilent U1272A multimeter restoring to its former glory (April 2019)  (Read 4423 times)

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
The purchase of a used multimeter always include risks, you are unable to predict if this DMM it will pass functionality tests, neither you may predict mechanical condition of range switch or even the condition of rubber keypad.

End of 2018, I did buy a used Agilent U1272A from a UK seller at Ebay.
I was needed it, so to form a team of three, a wireless data logging system.

Specific Agilent U1272A this must be first PCB revision, and therefore it is a product manufactured somewhere at the year 2010~2011.
While this passed all functionality tests and it does deliver correct measurements, I did notice few issues.

a) Clear glass at display was heavily scratched 
b) Range switch knob this is functional but aesthetics was not that great. 
c) The rubber keypad while seems usable, some buttons was softened from frequent use.
e) Top Case has scratches’ and few printed descriptions around the range switch were also scratched.

Generally speaking for the price tag of 200 Euro shipped for such a used meter, you can not raise a complaint, but I am sensitive regarding aesthetic issues, and I did order new parts so to restore this multimeter in “like-new” condition.

My order includes:
1x   U1272-64401 Top Case ASSY With Knob and 2x of U1271-48000 Keypad, one for immediate use and the second as spare.

I had never order before any Agilent / Keysight spare parts, but the all process this is a trouble free one.
I did notify Keysight authorized reseller in Greece, and my order was executed in a very reasonable time-frame.

Top Case ASSY With Knob = 27 EUR with no VAT
Keypad = 7 EUR with no VAT
A total of VAT and local shipping (for all three parts) of 53,84 EUR

While this multimeter did not receive much of love from it previews owner, from now and on, this will have a good life by serving in measuring applications contacted by experienced hands and be safe, plus this now having it very own Keysight soft bag.

Originally I thought to avoid buying new spare parts, this multimeter it was usable as is.
Then I did use a quality scratch remover cream (paste) and after several hours of scrubbing with cotton, I did manage to remove most of deep grooves.   
But in our days and especially regarding products coming close to a decade of age since first production, you better get them serviced nowadays and before any EOL note this appear at manufacturer WEB site, which this also translates that spare parts availability this will soon disappear too.

Regarding U1272-64401 Top Case ASSY With Knob, it is a mystery of why Keysight send this with out circular holder of electrical contacts?
Neither included a white part (range to range) lock ring either?
Basically if something is not included? Then this is extra and orderable, but neither this lock ring nor electric contact pads (disk and pads) seems as orderable.
If Keysight included product pictures for this spare part, at least we will know of what to expect.
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Re: Agilent U1272A multimeter restoring to its former glory (April 2019)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 12:49:36 PM »
U1272-48000  Keypad
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 06:44:58 PM »
Knob contacts plate removal and transfer at new Top Case ASSY.   :)

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 07:33:17 PM »
FINALLY !!    8)   my used Agilent U1272A multimeter  in “like-new” condition .. AGAIN !!   ;D ;D

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 07:37:34 PM »
If you did enjoy this topic  :) , a next one also interesting this is    Applications list for three U1177A Bluetooth adapter ( Wireless Data Logging )

Offline Marco1971

• job title: Electronics engineer
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 10:27:30 AM »
Enjoy a lot...great restoration to a like-new condition.

Marco

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix