!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Female BNC connector damage Explanation & Mechanical Concept Analysis – ITTSB.EU  (Read 3436 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Instead writing a long story my contribution to humanity of RF technicians this is my fresh created drawing this clearly demonstrating BNC How-to matting details.

Low-End in quality BNC connectors they come with specification of 100 mating cycles.
Average to Better quality ones they claim 500 minimum mating cycles.

Unfortunately when a female connector loosing ability to retain good contact with the male connectors then there is no way repairing it.

Easiest way inspecting BNC damage at Oscilloscope Channels this is possible by using a trusted NEW BNC cable and to connect it at a multimeter (with a BNC to banana converter accessory ) this be capable to measure impedance resistance of 1 Mega-Ohm.
Such a test this is very superior than any other, because a multimeter will use a very low current so this to perform such a measurement.
Any contact resistance issue OR no contact at all, this will spotted right away.

One Oscilloscope may have two or four channels and in this case you have also two or four test points so to play with.

Such a BNC quality verification test, it should be also performed when you are buying a used Oscilloscope.

Female BNC plugs installed at Oscilloscope port, they usually cost approximately 6€ its one with out shipping cost.

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Offline cluca1969

• job title: Electronics developer
I hope you are lucky enough to find your original female BNC plug at a lower price.
But what I do not understand is that you bought this oscilloscope like new.
How did you get to use this connector so much on CH1 so you have to change it ?
We all know and believe we all do the same, once we connect the male BNC to the desired input we will leave it there for a long time.
From what you tell us, I understand that you used that input very intensely.
Or maybe you had bad luck and this BNC gave up before the end time of life.
Anyway, I wish you good luck to solve your problem.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Premature failure of a BNC connector it can be caused due:

By buying and using cheap BNC accessories in which pin diameter this is not copper and or neither this is made with required diameter precision.

Predicted failure of a BNC connector it can be caused due:

By using only quality BNC connectors and due increased workflow and mating cycle’s number this exceeds specification.

When a BNC connector this is unbranded, even if this having a gentle use, in case of premature failure there is no one there to take the blame.   

An Oscilloscope manufacturer has a choice to use what ever components he chooses.
Product warranty this is good also as identification period that all components in use they are free of defects.
This does not translate to warranted life cycle of individual parts.

Yes I got my scope NEW and I am using it with extreme care and CH1 BNC damage occurred with out this to be my fault.
The manufacturer of my scope he is willing to sell me BNC spare part at reasonable price and shipping.

But I Kiriakos Triantafillou, I do not accept soldering on that PCB anything less than the best BNC over this damn planet.
For example if I use Amphenol connector and this fails prematurely, then I will flame the ass of Amphenol.
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix