!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: CORSAIR K55 RGB Gaming Keyboard for elder boys - unboxing and tips  (Read 2591 times)

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Few people are aware that I am first Greek generation of computer user, I got computers training back to school at 1988.
Then I got my first computer at 1997 an 486DX100 with 4MB of RAM.
First user also of WIN95 upgrade version that the software were in US-EN language.

Over the years the Microsoft range of multimedia keyboards this gained my favor.
Especially the Microsoft Digital Media 3000 which this is now not produced anymore.
Close equivalent this is Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 (still in production).
Both Microsoft keyboards has inclination of 13 degrees (viewing angle) along with large buttons with clear large fonts as key identification.

Two months ago I did start searching the market so to find an keyboard this suitable for light gaming along office productivity.
And I made the discovery of CORSAIR K55 that according specifications this has anti-ghosting for gaming, no mechanical switches, Splats proof along with not aggressive in brightness back light.   

By getting the product at my hand, I did realize the major differences at product design which some they can improve and some they can not.

CORSAIR made several mistakes at product design and most major this is the dimensions of keys (top surface), its much small than MS Keyboards.
The keys for double functions has tiny fonts and it hard to see.
The keys with localized fonts has also tiny fonts.

The keyboard has 3.0 degree inclination with flip feet closed and  6.7 degree with flip feet open. ( I were forced to add DIY rubber feet so to restore inclination at 13 degrees)
Back in time Microsoft were very strict at following best practices so keyboards and mouse design to work in favor of productivity for all ages of people.

At our times Gaming gadgets they are designed by youth for the kids, and I do accept K55 as compromise that I am not in favor but neither against.

The huge mistake of CORSAIR this is not the K55 design but their software,  this is named as iCUE latest version 4.1 this has mammoth file size of 785MB, its a PC computer memory resources killer, when installed this wastes over 200MB of RAM, and computer boot time this gets increased.

Use of K55 with out iCUE

CORSAIR K55 this is also an multimedia keyboard, and it work at all windows versions as it uses base Microsoft HID driver of 2006.
Back light options can be stored at the keyboard.
G1 up to G6 macro keys they can record only keyboard clicks and no mouse clicks.

Example of  K55 macro programing with out iCUE 

To do something like launch the calculator, you can use the Windows-R key combination (windows key then R) to bring up the launch window, and type the program you wish to launch. This can be the calculator or iexplore.exe if you want to launch IE, or anything else.

For example, to set the G2 key to launch the calculator, do this:

1) Press the MR button. M light begins to slowly flash

2)  Press the G2 macro key.  The M light will flash rapidly to indicate macro recording has started

3)  Hold down the windows key and then press R

4) Type "calc" into the run dialog and press ENTER

5)  Hit the MR button again to stop the macro recording.

Other tips relative to software
Microsoft as maker of  Microsoft HID driver, it make for it the Microsoft IntelliType Pro this is their own software for creation of shortcut at Digital Media 3000 series of keyboards.
One additional bonus this is a nice pop-up bar that appears at desktop (right bottom corner) momentarily, when you use volume control keys and it shows the level in percentage.  8)

I do have the Microsoft IntelliType Pro installed and this function works also with the K55, but no macro programing is possible due the Microsoft software until MS 3000 series keyboard this be plugged at the computer.

CORSAIR K55 firmware Update
K55 this is programmable keyboard and as such even it own software this require corrections.
13 April of 2021 Corsair release newer firmware update (v30.09) this is obtainable due iCUE and therefore we are forced to install the mammoth once.
https://forum.corsair.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1089773&postcount=36

To uninstall the mammoth you need to follow along and extra instructions
https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025166712-Perform-a-clean-reinstallation-of-the-Corsair-Utility-Engine-iCUE-?_ga=2.208345682.195947324.1622545632-279173344.1622545632

To download the latest mammoth
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/icue

This is my sort introduction of my fresh personal adventure, and here are some pictures of my unboxing for you to see.  :)
I paid 55€ for it, and I hope to last in time. 
The product with GR keys layout this came with 2 years warranty from reputable local store.

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
All smiles are now taken away due CORSAIR FALSE advertising.
Product offered at my region has different implementation at Left-Shift-Key

Because of this detail the keyboard this is useless for gaming 

CORSAIR Forum this is an Ocean of consumers complains, for several of their products.
I did report my case to them, uploaded images and pointed out the problem.
I gave them 48 hours dead-line so them to respond.

In the end of the day retail shops of Greece and Greek consumers, they are both Victims of FALSE advertising and the solution it should be come at the cost of CORSAIR.

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
This is I suppose the last entry about my K55 relative adventure, the keyboard were returned back, and I am simply waiting for my refund.

This is my topic at CORSAIR forum (in case that you are interested to have a look).
https://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?s=9dde5d22e134ef6d3c87a541a11d7e38&t=206542

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix