!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Shin-etsu Microsi X23-7783D review of best thermal paste - Made in Japan  (Read 2620 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Shin-etsu X23-7783D this is Japanese chemistry of the year 2011.
Successful high-end chemistry this does not need renewal, and its just prove that it works within the years.

The problem with Shin-etsu this was always it products distribution network, with small retail consumers in mind.
Microsi this is Shin-etsu American network, and thru it we are able to get X23-7783D  even within EU.

When buying Shin-etsu products due eBay, you should be at first, well educated of Shin-etsu products portfolio (catalog 2022).
For example X23-7783D this is offered exclusively at small syringe of 0.5 gr or 1.0 gr.
They are out there retail two offerings of syringe.
a) Retail version of syringe with blister along Microsi logo at carton label.
b) Industrial version with blue syringe,  this aiming small computer builder business. 

Occasionally the blue syringe even found at APPLE and DELL products repair center.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today starts my own story  :), I did find X23-7783D in France  (eBay) and for a total of 5,74 EUR, I did get my own syringe.
Now I am waiting for delivery ..

Personally I am not easy consumer when its about thermal paste.
My first preference it become the ARCTIC SILVER 3 first ever product with silver nano particles.
When ARCTIC SILVER 3 become EOL, I did switch to Prolimatech PK-2 Nano, nowadays this is EOL too.

Instead becoming a beta tester, of latest Chinese thermal paste, that comes poorly documented and of unknown factory, I did insist getting Shin-etsu product with unquestionable specifications and a long tradition.

------------------------------------------------------------------- 

When you do a good read of Shin-etsu products catalog, they are two information's to learn.
1) Long life thermal paste, the one deigned never be replaced, this has Thermal Conductivity no greater than 3 W/m °K
2) Highest performance thermal paste, this can offer Thermal Conductivity no greater than 6 W/m °K

ARCTIC SILVER 3 this claimed to have 9 W/m °K
Prolimatech PK-2 Nano this claimed to have  10.2 W/m °K
And even today the X23-7783D this is specified as  5.8 W/m °K and so and theoretically, this must be the worst one.   ;D

By getting my hand's dirty with the world of electrical test and measurement,  I did learn that any comparison measurements they should be made by identical instrument and measuring process.
Who is the developer of thermal paste evaluation instruments?
The answer: No one
Its brand uses it scientific department so to invent and or develop their own test apparatus.
Such knowledge this is not shared among competitors.   
Shin-etsu will never share their thermal test and measurement laboratory with anyone else.

The new question .... How is possible, consumers to demonstrate faith at products, that their thermal evaluation, this is in house work and not internationally standardized?

According my fresh know-how and thanks to Shin-etsu documentation, I am now aware that the major problem of all Chinese chemical brand, this is that they do not have the knowledge of how to make their own High-end thermal paste testing laboratory.         
They simply by trial and error, compare the performance of Taiwanese and Japanese thermal paste, with their own chemical composition.
Then products as is ARCTIC-MX6 they are marked by approximation of their thermal performance, or not at all.

In a later time I will remove Prolimatech PK-2 Nano  and I will use Shin-etsu X23-7783D instead.
At my Prolimatech Armageddon - large air-cooled tower.   
This is a proper myth busting scenario.  ;)

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Offline Andrew-88

• job title: Electrician
When Kiriakos casting his vote in favor of a product, this is no random choice.  ;)

Too bad for Shin-etsu that does nothing to increase their footprint in EU.
Getting small quantities from Microsi-USA, this is not enough.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
When Kiriakos casting his vote in favor of a product, this is no random choice.  ;)

Too bad for Shin-etsu that does nothing to increase their footprint in EU.
Getting small quantities from Microsi-USA, this is not enough.

Shin-etsu distribution network seems as a problem to us.
The brand makes big money from other sectors, microchip wafers manufacturing.

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Offline overvolt

• Industrial installer Electrician
  • Global Moderator
I am well aware of Kiriakos high-appreciation of Made in Japan products. ;)

But such a love this is expected to happen, when the Japanese, they are good at making their homework, before activates their production line. 

I will patiently wait for the ultimate comparison, Prolimatech PK-2 Nano VS Shin-etsu X23-7783D

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
I am still waiting for product delivery,  the paste arrived from France to Greece at super fast rate.

By continuing my search about Shin-etsu , I did discover few more truths.

2022 Shin-Etsu announces silicone products price increase
China now selling silicon metal, the main raw material of silicone's at higher prices.

Applicable products:
All silicone products that are handled by Shin-Etsu's Silicone Division

Price revision rate:

10% increase in all products

Timing of implementation:

Effective for product shipments made starting May 2022

https://www.shinetsusilicone-global.com/news/2022/04.shtml

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
More surprises ... How much you can learn from the product due:

ShinEtsu SAFETY DATA SHEET according to Regulation (EC) No. 1907/2006 (REACH) and Regulation (EU) No 2015/830
Revision date: 26/6/2015

Trade name: X-23-7783D
Company name: Shin-Etsu Silicones Europe B.V.

SECTION 3: Composition / information on ingredients
Aluminum powder (pyrophoric) 50 - 75 %
Zinc oxide                                     < 25 %
Alkanes, C13 - 16- iso                  < 5 %

15.2 Chemical Safety Assessment
For this mixture a chemical safety assessment is not required.

Date of first version: 27/7/2006
Reason of change: General revision (Regulation (EU) No 2015/8/30)

https://chilternconnections.co.uk/sites/default/files/downloadables/msds/x-23-7783d_msds_20150626.pdf

This is of what is called as well documented and secure product, to be sold worldwide.

And now for a comparison Prolimatech PK-2 Nano  Aluminum powder 70 - 88 %  VS 50 - 75 % of X23-7783D.
88 - 75 = 13% of less Aluminum powder.

From the other hand, X-23-7921-5 this has too 70% and or higher mix of Aluminum powder, by 99% I think that  Prolimatech PK-2 Nano = Shin-Etsu X-23-7921-5 ;)

By the way, do not be fooled to consider 13% of less Aluminum powder as less thermal performance, I have personal experiences with PT100 thermal sensor along CPU, heat this is a slow speed traveler.
Even if you double DC fan air flow (pressure) over a heatsink, you might see a benefit of 1~2 Celsius.
13% of Aluminum powder mass percentage, this can be a factor of influence, but at no more than a single Celsius in the range 80C.

At thermal transfer, they are other terms in use, for example for a specific thermal load, is there a sufficient in performance of thermal paste.

And here comes one BETTER example from JAPAN,   owltech Japanese computer accessory brand, they had classify  X23-7783D  as good enough for INTEL i7 class of CPU.
And therefore for its one application, we need to find the compatible thermal paste, there is no magical thermal paste for all thermal transfer applications;) 

Intel® Core™ i7-4770 Processor  = TDP of  84 W
LED flood light 30W                      = TDP of 30 W  = A much cheaper thermal past will do the job.  https://www.ittsb.eu/forum/index.php?topic=1807.0

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
I was looking for days at the west hemisphere for Shin-etsu benchmarks, but the answer was at the east hemisphere.  :)

Its now obvious to me, Shin-etsu competitors are only other Shin-etsu product's.  ;D

http://www.scythe-cn.com/product/other/thermalsolution.html

scythe-cn.com this appears today as END of LIFE (brand - website).
SY-G1030 2g capacity, built-in 7783D  (this is now EOL too). 

At that example, X-23-7921-5 came first by 0.5C VS  X23-7783D   ;)

X-23-7921-5 = Japanese technology of 2009

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Arrival and final details. 8)

1) My syringe this has a weight of 4 gm, actual paste weight, approximately 3 gm
I am currently assuming that this was special order, than standard offered Syringes at 0.5 gm, 1.0 gm

2) At ml scale, I did a comparison with equal empty Syringe, and the quantity is approximately 0.65 ml

Naturally, I was very careful prior the purchase, and I was carefully inspecting syringe piston position of all listings, so to get the most loaded syringe.  ;)

There is no need to say that since today, I do feel very happy, and very relaxed.
When ever I will need to replace thermal paste at my computer, I do have now the appropriate high performance paste !! 

Offline Andrew-88

• job title: Electrician
There is no need to say that since today, I do feel very happy, and very relaxed.
When ever I will need to replace thermal paste at my computer, I do have now the appropriate high performance paste !!

This is what matters the most..  :)

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix