!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Recommended clamp meter for HVAC? Wish list of features in 2015  (Read 6044 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Recommended clamp meter for HVAC? Wish list of features in 2015
« on: January 03, 2015, 10:55:44 AM »
Starting of 2015 received one email from a friend French frigorist (Installer refrigerating engineer).
His email was actually one complain and products design feedback at the same time.
Which I took very seriously and I am going to mention it in public.

It seems that HVAC electricians who wish to carry with them just one advanced clamp meter that is capable to handle all their needs is not here yet (End of 2014).

The wish list of features that the specific French Electrician noted is below.
a) Single voltage range which defaults to DC and needs a press button so to work at AC it must be avoided.
And according to him, Extech MA640 it can be considered as unsafe because of that behavior of it which translates to poor product design which is possible to expose the user in hazards if he forgets to set the meter correctly by activating first the AC mode due a button, its and every time.

b) The resistance range in most reputable clamp meters seems limited to 60 KOhm.
And he mentioned as most demanding application the measurement of thermistors.

c) The basic continuity sound no matter it volume, is nothing useful when working near to motors, and definably I will personally agree with that feedback too.
When the back light gets active with the buzzer, it is more usable as information, but I will add that is has practical gain only if the meter does not slow down when performing that way.
The message to product designers will be to implement this function but not as default which translates that beeper and LCD backlight will be active together all times.
This note naturally implying that one additional button over the face plate will be needed so to control the mode of the continuity alarm by adding these two available choices of Plain Beeper or Beeper with back light activation.

Lastly I will mention his feedback regarding the Brymen BM189 which this person purchased prior reading my product review.
He is reporting that the range switch at that product did not please him that much and regarding his taste, the latest BM079 (which ITTSB is going soon to review) it seems to him as much more usable, but still limited regarding max Ohms range.  http://www.ittsb.eu/forum/index.php?topic=958.0

I did took seriously all his notes because that man is spending money so to discover the most convenient tool for his own needs and preferences’.
I did reply to him all ready that the Perfect all around meter has not born yet, and that always he must have room in his toolbox for more than a single test and measurement instrument.

Even me which I do product reviews professionally for about four years, and by having its and every one of my samples at hand from the day one until today, I am unable to choose the best among them, because its one has specialization which other similar tools do not have.

This thread is here to serve as feedback collection which is shared publicly so any one to be able to contribute in this wish list of features, which the ideal clamp meter for HVAC business should have in the future.

Therefore here is your chance to offer your feedback within 2015 and possibly help product designers about focusing their talent closer to actual needs of our times.  ;)
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix