!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Multimeter | Clamp meter | Insulation Resistance Tester | Panel Meter | Oscilloscopes | Test leads & Accessories | Software Updates > Bench-top multimeter

History facts Tektronix DMM4050 & Fluke 8846A 6.5 digit warranty / repair 2019

(1/9) > >>

Kiriakos GR:
Today under the microscope of ITTSB Blog this is technology in use and whereabouts of Tektronix DMM 4050 & Fluke 8846A 6.5 digit benchtop multimeters (identical internally) .

For us which we use high-resolution multimeter in the sector of freelancer troubleshooter and not at somewhat of automated test system inside of R&D laboratory, we care for measuring detail which this will verify mostly accuracy specification of passive and active electronic components.

Nowadays low-cost voltage reference chips and precision resistors they are much more popular due their lower price in comparison with the past (10~15 years ago).

Therefore while pricing of precision electronic components this is constantly reduced from the other hand digital meters produced by the use of them still remaining highly priced.

The question which bothers me now is what our money actually buying when they pay for a Tektronix DMM 4050 or a Fluke 8846A 6.5 digit benchtop multimeters?
Most published specification this is 0.0025% accuracy for DC.

Both of these DMM history this is now known mostly by close inspection of their PCB and dates which their last software updates (firmware) where released.
Its not guesswork to say today that PCB design and electronic parts in use this is work of 2002, PCB mass production date this is 2004.
Product release date the year of 2005~6, last software update this was made at 2010, since then up to 2019 this is considered as finished product.

Tektronix DMM 4050 documentation does not deliver repair and service instructions.
Fluke 8846A documentation it does deliver repair and service instructions.

Because of high retail price both products did not gain wide acceptance, and if I am now writing these lines, this is because I am exploring both meters of what actually worth as used and out of warranty.

Tektronix among Fluke and Keithley they have now the same Boss, none of them over the years invested in European soil about having spare parts availability specifically for European consumers and market. 

While I do consider Fluke 8846A next big thing after Fluke 8842A, I am puzzled to deliver a positive vote, because no one ever reviewed this meter according my high standards and neither there is a safety net or promise for spare parts availability over time.
Neither in the market of used meters any wise consumer will accepts the fact that his purchase will be sort lived due poor or zero spare parts availability.     
We people working with electronics repairs and using multimeter, it is our job and nature about repairing things, therefore we always should make decisions by taking in mind the larger picture this including product performance and Repairability.

Industry producing bench-top multimeter it walks with extremely slow steps, even so I am now started worrying if different methods of A/D converter filtering will increase gap of comparison in a voltage reference between older and modern produced measuring instrument.

For example a Fluke 8842A within 2018 this measured my 10V voltage reference at 10.0001V, few weeks later a fresh calibrated Fluke 8846A this measured my voltage reference and it confirmed 180uV lower than 8842A, I did use Trimming Output Voltage circuit of LT1021-10 so to get nearer to 8846A cal at 10.00001 V.

While I do not hold all answers, I do consider year of 2019 as game changer, and I will advice people whom are also puzzled as I do, them to demonstrate patience.
The market of used meters always will be there if the near future does not deliver products tailored to our needs or if Newest Models they are offered at unreasonable pricing.

Kiriakos GR:
For the collectors of history facts  :)  I just discovered  last trace of Fluke 8846A  Press Release  ( at Google, this Fluke page this is now deleted / removed.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Fluke 8845A and 8846A Precision Digital Multimeters Combine ...

origin-www.fluke.com/fluke/.../press/New+Fluke+8845A+and+8846A+Precision+Digital...

Sep 11, 2006 - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE ...
The Fluke 8845A and 8846A have 14 measurement functions, extending the capability ... Everett, Washington.  Press Releases (page removed).. 

From the other hand, TEK press release this is still on-line, with date  October 5, 2009, and I have kept a copy.

Kiriakos GR:
I am now officially Owner of a used DMM4050.  8)
While I am expecting delivery in Greece from Italy, I did pull Tektronix strings so to find out history logs about my DMM background, and I did.

It was bought first in Feb-2013 from TEK Europe.
Therefore up to date in 2019 this is just 6 years old hardware and I am very happy about that.   :)

Serial number verification was made due TEK UK, and later on they passed to me a suggestion about pricing quotation for a fresh CAL certificate.
I did accept receiving such quotation, now about me using the service or not ? this is a decision which I will consider in a later time.

Kiriakos GR:
I just came across a fresh produced Certificate of Compliance of Fluke Corporation, this dated at 27-07-2016 for CSA (North America compliance).
Among the recorded Product Certification History list,  there is mentioned and even a few slight product design changes.  ;)

27-07-2016  Update report 1837899 (Fluke 8845A 8846A Tektronix DMM4040 DMM4050) to replace Thermometrics (brand)  PTC with Ampron PTC in critical components list. (CRR 2016-05 #2)

22-03-2013 Update Report 1837899 (8845A, 8846A, DMM4040, DMM4050) to change transformer manufacturer (split inspection factory).

26-06-2009 Update to Report 1837899 to include Models Tektronix DMM4040,Tektronix DMM4050.

02-08-2007 Bench DMM (C/US).  (8845A, 8846A )

Kiriakos GR:
Today I got a response at Tektronix forum relative to Tektronix DMM 4050 (Fluke 8846A) latest Firmware.
Feel free checking attached picture.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix
Go to full version