!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Announcement: Seasonic Taiwan - Titanium & Gold Series PSU scheduled review 2022  (Read 9957 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
No1 problem detected at all PRIME ..
No chance to get a good photograph of their Chrome Labels  ;D

New PSU installation when smoothly!!
I did remove a good working PSU, and install another fresher good working PSU with a Titanium 80 Plus label.

First test was by the use of APC SUA1000 (VA) UPS.

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Today that PRIME TX-750 this is plugged at my PC, I can finally compare this PSU regarding power efficiency with another two quality PSU of my glorious past.

HIPER POWER HPU-4M780-PE--  Efficiency  85.0% Max --- 80Plus Bronze --- Year 2008
CORSAIR CX-750 --------------- Efficiency  88.5% Max --- 80Plus Bronze  --- Year 2013
Seasonic Prime TX-750  ------  Efficiency  94.6% Max --- 80Plus Titanium – Year 2016

All PSU brands and their marketing people, they try to brag about power efficiency as a key selling point.
I am a consumer of PC computer hardware since 1996, along a certified electrician since 1988.

The race started when the concept of 3D Gaming PC this born at the year 2002 and later.
From the year 2002 and up to date, we measure 21 years of computer PC PSU evolution, which is a chain of constant received improvements over the basic electronic design.

First and a true benefit of a PSU with better electrical Efficiency, this is much less heat generation within the power supply.
Heat this has two paths to follow so to be shared at the environment (our room).
One portion of heat this is removed due air flow.
Another portion of due PSU caused heat, this is transferred at the metallic computer case (PC tower).
The computer case which has become a heat trap, this will lower the effectiveness of air cooling at all components.

The second benefit of better electrical Efficiency, this has to do with energy savings within a yearly period of PC computer use.
Most western families nowadays they own three computers PC per household.
So if all three computers using a better PSU, then the yearly savings at the power bill them are significant.

My own workstation this is:
INTEL i7 4770, Z87X motherboard, DDR3-2400, GTX 1660 6GB graphics card, PCI legacy add-on sound card, four HDD, one SSD along of one DVD recorder.
All components air cooled, CPU cooling with highest in performance air cooled tower, PC case a real full tower of 2003 (HEC Taiwan).

Electrical power consumption measurements were taken by the use of wall plug power meter, the usual of 12 Euro (dollars) item.
If this measure 10W and above of power, the measurement includes lesser error.

Bellow I will deliver data of three computer PC operational conditions.
a)   IDLE
b)   Watching  a 1080P movie
c)   Gaming  with a very demanding  3D game

HIPER   --------- CORSAIR ----- PRIME
a)   Idle
103 Watt = CORSAIR 7W less ---- 15W less …  ( 88,5 Watt  (473mA) PF 0.77)

b)   Watching  a 1080P movie
127 Watt = CORSAIR 8W less ---- PRIME 33W less … (94 Watt 0f consumption) 

c)   Gaming  with a very demanding  3D game
HIPER = 220~305 Watt variable consumption
PRIME = 220~230 Watt variable consumption (PRIME = 243W Max Peak)
PRIME = 75W less energy waste than HIPER

In conclusion any power bill benefits they are elevating according to how much power your system needs at gaming mode.
And now with this rough comparison, we can now estimate the benefits (energy savings) at a Gaming PC (internet sports configuration), at 450W of consumption the gain will be 100W less energy per hour if you were using instead an 80Plus Bronze of the year 2008.

Now consider 75W or 100W of removed energy waste due the PSU efficiency, as thermal load, this now is removed also from your PSU internal electronics.
And or imagine the impact of having an active 75~100W Incandescent bulb within your PSU, which is the equivalent of an active heater. :P

What worth to remember for future use? ;)
Best PSU efficiency score of our days = 75~100W of lesser heat generation, this aloud the manufacturing of FAN-LESS PSU these able to have equal long life cycle with the active cooled ones.
FAN-LESS PSU this is mainly a product to serve at sound recording studio.
My personal preference this is actively cooled PSU,  especially when I do own, PC case of specific design (classic small server Full tower).         
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
And here is my latest souvenir, from Seasonic product registration page.  :)

Offline overvolt

• Industrial installer Electrician
  • Global Moderator
All right,  let's declare it a HAPPY END   ;)

But its interesting, the APC SUA1000XL VA power meter, it cannot sense or measure power factor at all.
Plain VA meter this is good enough to determine safe load for the UPS it self, rather acting as power meter.

Who cares... life moves on,  this APC its technology of 2003, its a miracle that this is still alive.
Happy for you mate !!  8)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Comparisons and more comparisons,   :)

I wanted to find out if I can use my motherboard as bench-top DMM  :P 
Extreme resolution at 3.3V rail,  lesser at 12V and much lesser at 5V.

I did confirm the measurement and directly from the ATX 24 pin (Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H).
12V & 5V Rails.

U1272A DMM = 12.210 V
GA-Z87X-UD5H = 12.168 V  = 52mV lesser than real  =  0.344573% difference 
At the 5V rails, the motherboard is 42mv lower too.
I will need to send the motherboard back for calibration.  :D

I did and another comparison, all rails output VS the older PSU.
They are very similar, but the PRIME it does boost the 12V rail. 

Online Andrew-88

• job title: Electrician
But its interesting, the APC SUA1000XL VA power meter, it cannot sense or measure power factor at all.
Plain VA meter this is good enough to determine safe load for the UPS it self, rather acting as power meter.

Even so it is an very interesting comparison and or a electricians class lesson (education).
A newer PSU with 10% better efficiency, at plain VA measurement this measure only 1.9% lower than the older PSU.

HIPER ...  Game load = 34.4%
Seasonic .. Game load =  32.5%

Kiriakos, what is the average of your PC daily consumption according to low cost power meter? (KWh)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Kiriakos, what is the average of your PC daily consumption according to low cost power meter? (KWh)

On average my PC this is powered 11 Hours per day.
About 9 Hours of internet usage or editing documents, or editing photographs along email use.
Along of 2 Hours gaming .. my way out.

Within five complete days,  with the Prime TX750,  the power meter this measured 6.7 KWh.
I need approximately 1.35 ~ 1.5 KWh per day just for my computer alone.

I do prefer turning it off when I am not at the shop.
Suspend to Ram = Sleep mode this is now 4.2W,  with the older PSU it was at 6W.
The fresh booted workstation PC this is better working due my experience, especially when this is loading significant amount of third party software at its boot.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
About a year ago, I did trash several software packages that they was acting as system monitor.
And I did focus at learning to configure HWinfo-64 so this become my tool.

At HWinfo forum,  I did find Thomas Barth (Tom) which is software developer of Generic Log Viewer that is a software which help you to analyze and review, any file recorded due HWinfo.
I did help the man with some fresh ideas, so him to improve the graphic interface,  so the measuring results to appear as more meaningful.
We worked for three months,  Generic Log Viewer this now a complete project, it include markers and other editing tools, and you can make a precise review of any recorded parameter.
Tom loved our collaboration, he is software engineer, I am expert at measurement, and his work now gained a greater value as analysis tool.

Any PSU its just a black box prior this gets paired with a motherboard.
Them the energy this start flowing at 24Pin ATX, GPU Six pin, PCI-E plug, CPU , and all over the motherboard.
As soon this happen, then we have an enormous amount of measuring points.

When any PSU this is paired with a motherboard, everything change speaking of voltage rails stability.
The better motherboard this makes the difference now.    

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H this is a Monster of quality,  at the electrical sector along features.
At gaming mode, the PSU gets stressed, but the motherboard this has also several power related subsystems which these compensate and increase overall voltage stability.
At the INTEL Z87 boards, the CPU this is mostly in control of all voltages, its acts as general manager, in control of all MOSFET array along other power components.

At gaming mode, the Seasonic TX750 along with the motherboard, it deliver rock-stable 5V and 3.3V supply,  and only the 12V rail this suffering from slight unbalance,  due the dynamic load this named as GPU (3D graphics card).

While the NVIDIA, MSI GTX 1060 6G this is a king of the past, this is not insignificant as DC power load.
NVIDIA recommends 400W or greater power supply.   

I did take several screenshot for your education.
Rails 12V 3.3v 5V
12V at PCI-E socket
12V at PCI Express 6-pin connector ( This could look as evaluation of Seasonic cables / harness)
The last one its a proof about the MOSFET over my motherboard ( year 2013) that they do deliver 95% efficiency at DC to DC conversion. 

Since the period of RTX3080 I did discover the unseen, that NVIDIA did several huge mistakes, the chip causes huge dynamic loading (current spikes),  the PCB even as huge in dimensions, its full of components which them are sum of heat sources, that the air-cooling solutions this is unable to dissipate this huge amount of  heat (energy watts).

In the past three years the rich home users, become victims of their passion.
They thought that product engineers are stupid,  and they wasted huge amount of cash, for getting magical thermal-pads along magical thermal paste.
Additionally the PSU industry it was unable to predict of how much problematic will be the RTX3080 speaking of power rail dynamic loading.
The gamer's which faced first the problem, ended buying OVERSIZED In Watts PSU, and they did waste FURTHER more cash.

THE SUM = tremendously expensive graphics card  + significantly expensive PSU + magical cooling toys
And me which I was member in several  computer relates forums, I ended as banned because I was THE NEGATIVE voice in this madness.  :P

The calendar reads 10/8/2023.
My computer system cannot stress enough the Prime TX750, highest consumption under 3D benchmark this is 266.4W
Under these tests even the Prime TX650 this it would be sufficient too.
According my statistics, NVIDIA RTX this is a huge in design failure, if you are up to get one, RTX 3060 and or a similar in performance from the RTX 4000 series, this it would be the lesser evil for you to be paired with.   :)   

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix