!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Pen type multimeters  (Read 4215 times)

giorgos

Pen type multimeters
« on: August 25, 2013, 12:39:07 PM »
I would like to share my thoughts with you, about this category of meters.
In my job sometimes I am working out of my bench. I have to repair alarm control panels or TV amplifiers etc. which as usual are mounted in inaccessible areas. Also I have almost always, to work on a ladder. All of theese make difficult the usage of a handheld multimeter, because there is not any place to stand the meters.
 Some manufacturers supplies them with hooks, magnetic clips etc to solve the problem.
Another approach is the pen type meters, which is ideal for quick mesuraments where accuracy doesnt required.
Thesse meters is very handy, but the majority of them is made by cheap manufacturers and this is an important objection about their safety standards. Althought in the market you can find pen type meters by quality manufacturers like Hioki (in higer prices) like this http://www.hioki.com/product/324660/index.html
My question is that, is worth to buy a pen type meter like this? Not for basic but as a secondary to use in specific cases. 

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Re: Pen type multimeters
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 02:19:58 PM »
I have actually use this multimeter for several months until the time that it was stolen from the soft pouch of my team of electricians. 
I did turned the factory upside down for days so to retrieve it back but with out much of luck.
I will never forget this story .. ever..  nor the shape of this meter which actually belonged to a friend electrician which he got it from eBay, because this national defense factory was having other top priorities in their shopping list than getting decent new multimeter s for eight electricians.

This meter it is a Japanese design but a shared one, Hioki offer this too.   :)

For basic voltage measurements and as continuity tester ( testing fuses ) it is useful.
The compact size somehow made this meter to always have an significant price tag.

The most irritating moment with it is the battery replace process, it uses round batteries ( wrist watch type ), which is hard to find in a factory compared to AA & AAA alkaline. 
I did like it, but never fall in love with it.  ;D

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm13/bluefordream/Tester_CA/STINF-TS-0118/Hioki_3246_2.jpg
Pen type multimeters
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix