!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Battery operated soldering iron  (Read 4924 times)

giorgos

Battery operated soldering iron
« on: November 21, 2013, 03:02:45 PM »
On the occasion of Kyriakos presentation for battery operated glue gun, I found another kind of tool powered from batteries. A soldering iron :
  http://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_fx901.html
Have you ever use something like this? Does it worth to buy one, or its better to use a gas soldering iron?
 My first thought about this, is that gas iron, provide much temperature than a battery powered. On the other hand, battery operated could be more handy, for example if you run out, you will find easier everywhere  batteries for replacing than gas.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Re: Battery operated soldering iron
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 06:13:12 PM »
At 1996 I was owning and using one made by Portasol.
It was somewhat useful mostly for electrical work over boats, the gas was escaping slowly and you did have to  always check it  before getting away with it.
The temperature in the tip it was always higher than needed, and this had an negative impact in the quality of your soldering.
The adjustment of temperature looked as working in the blind, by adjusting it about there, you were wasting lots of time in the job just to prepare it.   

If the electrical is capable to offer more control when you do soldering, probably it worth trying it.
The flamethrower it can not get in, in very tight spaces, or touch anything else than wires.   
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

giorgos

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 06:26:18 PM »
Anyway a soldering iron independent of mains, is really valuable in many cases. Many times as we work outdoor, we need to make a soldering.

giorgos

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 03:24:01 PM »
This topic forced me to make a more detailed search about these irons .So I found a small intersting review ,which gives some primary answers to someone who havent used before, this type of soldering iron.
http://edinburghhacklab.com/2011/10/review-weller-bp645eu-battery-powered-soldering-iron/
I promise that when i will buy my battery soldering iron, I will attempt  to make my first review here  :)

I think that i will buy this
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weller-Pro-Series-Battery-Powered-Cordless-Soldering-Iron-Solder-micro-to-large-/300996575674?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4614cb41ba

It has more power than others , also replacement tips are available
 http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/cooper-hand-tools-3735/weller-18425/page-12-fullsize.html

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 03:43:25 PM »
I look forward for some first hand information's regarding this subject too.  :)

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix