!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: 2017 - ITTSB project: Assembly of a Variac Powerstat 226U  (Read 29344 times)

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
2017 - ITTSB project: Assembly of a Variac Powerstat 226U
« on: February 04, 2017, 06:05:46 PM »
2017 - ITTSB project: Assembly of a Variac with Powerstat 226U transformer

Variac transformer (Variable transformer) this is one of the most useful devices ever produced for the smooth, distortion-less adjustment of AC voltage and power, with innumerable uses in testing and in control of voltage dependent parameters - speed, lighting, heat, etc.

Over the years Variac transformer assembly in a box (metal enclosure) this become a challenge and at the same time source of inspiration for thousands of people.
While transformer shape this is unchangeable, there is lots of room for product design improvising, speaking of shape and dimensions.

You can add to it items as for example panel meters, switches, fuses, power sockets, and even carrying handle.

ITTSB Blog within 2017 and me in person I got in to a new challenge, assembly of Variable transformer it is always a huge challenge if you think of it seriously.
My choice is a transformer capable for 2100VA (2.1 KVA) with voltage range from 0~270 ACV with input voltage of about 225~230V Mains voltage.

2.1 KVA this translates to seven ampere continues power, and this also translates that when you are thinking  to order switches and fuses, you must do proper research and you to properly indentify true continues current specifications’ of its one component that you are planning to use.

Speaking of electrical switches product specifications’, for example I had to select one with name plate of 20A because this was capable for 7~8A nominal (3 Positions On-Off-On Changeover Control Rotary).

Purpose which this Variac is going to serve at ITTSB Blog
1) Testing of ups (Uninterruptible power supply) with supply of low or high input voltage, technically named as Boost & Trim ups condition (status).
One electrically healthy ups this it should respond by activating it inner circuit and electric relay, so this to compensate (adjust) it output and this be at acceptable range of around 230V. 

2) Testing of any SMPS (switching mode power supply), inspection of output stability in all range of input voltage, for example this could be as 90~240ACV.

3) Motor Speed control, lighting tests and more…

4) Power supply for testing of active ACV stabilizers (thyristor based ones) or other type, and also for power quality evaluations.

ITTSB Blog 2017 Variac transformer project details 
I did all my homework speaking of product design and parts list that I am going to use, I was forced to order parts from several countries.
Many of my parts are in shipping mode, and some others are still in manufacturing stage.

In this thread I am going to attach pictures of arrived goods and quick tests. ;)
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Re: 2017 - ITTSB project: Assembly of a Variac Powerstat 226U
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 06:10:41 PM »
Variac Powerstat 226U quick tests  ---->
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Re: Schurter FPG1 fuse holder & SIBA fuses
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 11:35:55 AM »
My selection of parts regarding fuses, this was made also by the primary concept of my Variac project, and this is selection of ultimate quality parts, no matter their price.

Schurter FPG1 fuse holder this is great example of top quality part for panel mounting, connectivity this is made by clips.
Rich product specifications and several approvals.
www.schurterinc.com/pdf/english/typ_FPG1.pdf

For fuses I made a choice of SIBA 173100.8A slow-blow 5x20
www.siba-fuses

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Re: BERKER SCHUKO socket outlet MOBIL R series
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 12:52:21 PM »
BERKER SCHUKO socket outlet ( MOBIL R  series) this is also a product that does not come cheaply.
My opinion this is that recent pricing of BERKER products, it is extreme, either way I got lucky by finding old stock (production of W.Germany) in pristine condition.
Nowadays BERKER old MOBIL R series this now described as BERKER INTEGRO Series.

This product series qualifying for mobile applications, as for example boats, and laboratory equipment. 

My VARIAC this will have double SCHUKO socket outlets, its one fused separately.
And also voltage output due isolated banana sockets,  for voltage measurements by external multimeter.   

http://www.elisch.cz/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/berker_serie_integro_mobilrtwin.pdf

giorgos

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 09:09:07 AM »
I agree with you regarding quality of Berker products.
By the way, I have use Berker socket too, mounted in a distribution cable channel, in front of my workbench.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 09:15:20 AM »
I agree with you regarding quality of Berker products.
By the way, I have use Berker socket too, mounted in a distribution cable channel, in front of my workbench.

I have no doubts that they are well made items, but pricing of about 17E retail in EU (per socket), seems as stealing to me.
HAGER this is also distributor of Berker, but not of complete Berker products portfolio.

giorgos

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 02:02:56 PM »
Ι can remember that I had bought them about 3.5 € each. But its a different model than yours which may be more expensive.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 06:49:22 PM »
I am celebrating the fact that I did manage to gather most essential parts for my upcoming project.  8)

Required skills: Product design, Metal assembly, surface paint job, electric parts installation, industrial grade wiring and connections.
This going to be an costly project, but unique design this is always priceless.
Enclosure dimensions 335(W) x210(H)x225(D)mm
Aluminum face plate thickness = 5mm

Code name: VARIAC Transformer of 2017

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Re: 4PCS HSS Countersink and Deburring bits 2-5mm 5-10mm 10-15mm 15-20mm
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 10:57:39 AM »
New addition to my hardware tools portfolio   8) 

(got them especially for this project) €9.46 EUR
No storage bag, but I did came with one solution ( floppy disk 1.44 clear case)  ;)

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Re: Brushed aluminum Finish over aluminum sheet & professional grade tools
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 11:36:26 AM »
Quality Metal working job this is essential part of this project.

Brushed aluminum Finish over aluminum sheet this requiring professional grade of tools.
My work around this was to get just the brash and one special axle for using it with my Metabo cutting tool, and variable speed due our New variac transformer  8)

Neither this option came at low price,  but when you aim perfection there is no price tag to that.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Re: HSC8 6-4 End Sleeves Tool - Crimping ferrules
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 11:30:55 AM »
Another (envelope) unboxing today  8)
One unique tool that mostly industrial electricians using in their work.

HSC8 6-4 End Sleeves Tool 

Arrived totally dry from lubrication, I did a bath to it with SAE 90. 

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Re: Sneak peek of ITTSB Blog Variac transformer case !!
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 10:54:29 PM »
This is a true sneak peek  8)   because I did first major step and this is attaching 5mm thick aluminum plate over the box.
I did measurements and drilling of holes with extreme caution, and now there is a face-plate so me to work with.

Metal box this is superb regarding inner design, when specialized tools these arrive from Germany, face-plate will get a special treatment.
In my plans it is metal box this to be painted black.

Personally I feel now thousands times less stressed, because I had the chance to drill this aluminum and to find out, of what is it true composition.  ;)

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix