!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Electric Motor connected with lights dimmer for speed control? = FAIL solution  (Read 3139 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Electric Motor connected with dimmer becomes a sound speaker of High pitched noise.

Summer heat this is too much in Greece starting from hart of June and up to 10 of September.
At home I have one large (old school) Mitsubishi electric fan,  it is great to keep you cool at midday time but at nights it is impossible for you to sleep near it.
This is desktop fan, full metal, blades diameter close to 60 centimeters.

And I did use as experiment one lights dimmer (by foot adjust type / sliding potentiometer), I connected to it one female power socket ( for cables extension), and I thought that I am good to go.  ;D   :P

By starting using it and adjusting the speed, the motor  this become instantly a sound speaker of High pitched noise  ::)
My plan to slow down the electric fan rpm this was successful,  but this  High pitched noise it is something that no human can tolerate.

Light bulbs can tolerate using dirty energy but regular electric motors are not prepared for a such conditions.

In conclusion: 
Noiseless speed control for Mains volts this is a job for variac transformer and of nothing else.  ;)

http://www.ittsb.eu/forum/index.php?topic=1240.msg3092#msg3092
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix