!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: BNC to dual stacking banana adapters (Buying tip)  (Read 6619 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
BNC to dual stacking banana adapters (Buying tip)
« on: July 02, 2012, 10:54:27 AM »
Yes this topic is about those BNC to banana adapters which connects a multimeter with BNC patch cords.

Like the ones found on AC/DC Hall Effect current probes, or any circuitry that uses pulses or signals.

Those adapters retail price is rather high, and it is normal for some one to think the cheap ones on eBay as the next alternative solution.

But do they work as the expensive one does?
In the low cost ones, I found three significant flaws.

1)   The center female pin diameter is not made with high precision, and this leads to bad contact especially with high precision BNC male plugs with a thin center pin.
2)   Also the gold paint on those cheap BNC female type adapters is there just to fool the naked eye.  Usually the center pin is made from beryllium copper who haves great electrical characteristics, and also those center points are made with the highest mechanical precision.
3)   The banana plugs are poor made, and their contact point and shape, offer poor stability when they are inserted in the multimeter.

The BNC to banana adapter it should stay stably in place and hold on it and the additional BNC plug and cable.  I do find as genius design the modern BNC to banana adapters, with the shrouded banana ends, they do offer better mechanical support when they used with external probes.

By buying even as used two Pomona (Made in USA) with out shrouded banana ends, I did solve all the bad contact problems, and they are great for bench type work.
But for a true problem-free mobile operation with one AC/DC Hall Effect current probe, the shrouded BNC adapter is the only way to go.
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Armageddon

Re: BNC to dual stacking banana adapters (Buying tip)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 06:44:01 PM »
PM9081, Dual banana plug 4 mm male to female BNC adapter.

Maximum Signal Voltage: 600V rms
    Maximum Voltage to Ground: 600V rms. CAT III per IEC 61010-031

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 06:59:07 PM »
Hi Armageddon,

The practical problems with your suggestion are two:
a) I consider their pricing as extreme.
b) They sold only in a package of two.

But they are the best designed ones, due the fact that the shrouding it gives an over-all  better mechanical support, against small accidents.   
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Armageddon

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 07:45:46 PM »
Hi Kiriakos.
Unfortunately all that usually I like is expensive ;D.

And well, the price varies greatly according to the web:

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 07:55:19 PM »
Well about the specific product I would love to promote one alternative product which would have a more realistic pricing in Europe that is our own playground.  ;)

It is good to know that you do favor quality, this is what this forum is all about. ;D   

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Most to all times we make assumptions of what such accessories can tolerate speaking watt and volts.

Watt break down to VA  ( V x A ) and honestly after me watching these pictures, my inner world this is crushed down to 1000 pieces   ;D

Solid wire connecting BNC plug this is actually identical to resistor leads of 1/4W.

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix