!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Multimeter | Clamp meter | Insulation Resistance Tester | Panel Meter | Oscilloscopes | Test leads & Accessories | Software Updates > Handheld multimeter

Agilent U1253B Handheld Multimeter Energy Consumption Overview

(1/2) > >>

Phyllomedusa:
I thought it may be interesting to collect and compare the battery consumption of various Handheld Multimeters. For rare occasions I always keep some spare batteries for my meters in my bag and honestly....I had been pretty happy about that habit sometimes. Last time I had been happy to have spare batteries was when I was working in the Amazon and our solar power supply was down due to a malfunctioning charge controller.... no chance to recharge my batteries.
Option a) wait for the next helicopter to bring you a 9V battery with the shipment....yes, it is as ridiculous as it sounds
Option b) ask around if there is somewhere a 9V cell as spare.....you better have luck!!
Option c) always carry some spare parts like fuses and extra batteries!!!
So all in all......battery consumption CAN be a concern but hasn't to be. So I think an overview for some meters we use could be interesting and handy ;)

I just tested my Agilent U1253B which is often said to have a very bad battery runtime (well, works for a day and it's rechargeable).
This was to see its actual battery usage and find out how much the display brightness on the OLED really matters in terms of runtime.
So I measured:

Agilent U1253B

V~      Low  Brightness:     22,96mA       in 500V
V~      Med  Brightness:     28,45mA
V~      High Brightness:     32,72mA

V-       Low Brightness:     20,94mA         in 50V
V-       Med Brightness:     27,65mA
V-       High Brightness:    32,87mA

mV-    Low Brightness:      19,25mA         in 1000mV
mV-    Med Brightness:      21,67mA
mV-    High Brightness:     27,22mA

mV~   Low Brightness:     22,22               in 1000mV
mV~   Med Brightness:     26,18
mV~   High Brightness:    29,26

Ω        Low Brightness:     21,67mA          in 500Ω
Ω        Med Brightness:     26,72mA
Ω        High Brightness:    30,92mA

Diode  Low Brightness:     23,11mA          not applicable
Diode  Med Brightness:     31,99mA
Diode  High Brightness:    35,28mA

Cap     Low Brightness:     19,07mA           in 100µF
Cap     Med Brightness:     23,88mA
Cap     High Brightness:    27,71mA

µA      Low Brightness:     19,62mA           in 500µA
µA      Med Brightness:     25,22mA   
µA      High Brightness:    29,82mA

mA     Low Brightness:     20,95mA           in 50mA
mA     Med Brightness:     27,92mA
mA     High Brightness:    33,22mA

OUT    Low Brightness:    35,66mA            at 200Hz and 50% Duty Cycle
OUT    Med Brightness:    45,13mA
OUT    High Brightness:   48,74mA

OUT->The U1253B has a simple built-in PWM generator

Meter Off: 5,11µA
Battery: 9V (rechargeable 300mAh)

so you say it works between 20 and 50 mA, whereas the display brightness varies the consumption about ±5mA. So all in all it's not that hungry, but the 9V battery lowers the runtime considerably compared to some 800mAh AAA eneloops for example.
....just four AA eneloops with 2100mAh would be lovely to use ;). Regarding the trend that more and more DMM's use AAA batteries we already have a significant rise in runtime compare to 9V cells.

Is there any interest or need on more data about the U1253B?

Kiriakos GR:
Excellent data collection.   :)

The DC volts is considered as the less power hungry function.
If you can measure that too, the picture will be more complete.

And lastly one question, what the word OUT stands for ?
I think that the U1253B haves the ability to output an test signal, but I do not remember the frequency or the PPV.

Phyllomedusa:
...of course...I added the rest of the Functions and the used Range (as I mostly disabled Autorange and set my default ranges).

The U1253B has a simple PWM Generator. Not that fancy and powerful but sometimes pretty handy for testing actuators or servos and so on.

Kiriakos GR:
Impressive  :)

The PWM Generator looks to need buckets of mA  LOL   

Phyllomedusa:
Yepp....That's what I expected ;)

I will compare it to the U1272A next week (whenI am back home and have my PSU to drive the U1272A). Let's see ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix
Go to full version