!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: WD Elements Desktop 2TB WDBAAU0020HBK - Ext HDD 1021 - New HDD install  (Read 2749 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
WD Elements Desktop WDBAAU0020HBK this is 2TB external HDD case this using USB 2.0.

Originally this was shipped with 2TB Western Digital HDD.
Some one gave me just the enclosure as gift, and I thought to test and reuse it with other HDD.

WD Elements Desktop WDBAAU0020HBK this claims to be Win7 Compatible and it is.
But I did discover and a small issue that WD should take the blame.

I did connect for testing an laptop HDD 500GB, and now the controller Ext HDD 1021 this appears at Windows but the HDD (that is perfectly healthy and formatted by ASUS with files and partitions in it) this does not appear.

Now by getting to Windows management HDD console, only then my ASUS laptop HDD 500GB this it did appear as Non - Formatted.   
Therefore ONLY any HDD this formatted within specific enclosure and controller, then this become VISIBLE as drive to use ...

WDBAAU0020HBK Power Supply specifications

I got in my hands just the enclosure with power supply this missing.

ADAPTER:
Model No. WA-18H12
Input: 100-240V, 50-60Hz, 0.5A Max
Output: 12V, 1.5A 18Watts

There is a catch with the DC power plug as it uses specific inner and outer dimensions, this making it incompatible with most similar looking power connectors.

I am going to take also a few pictures of the enclosure electronics and share them later on.  :)
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
After taking PCB close up pictures and having a good look of them, now everything makes sense.
Other than HDD controller IC, there is also a dedicated WIN-BOND BIOS IC this be in control of everything.   :)

This PCB receive single 12V DC power, therefore an 5V step down chip this is there too.

At my first tests and prior the 500GB HDD this get recognized from the controller (SATA connector was not clean enough or something),  the On-board LED this was constantly flashing  On and Off.
After plugging in and out the SATA connector to the HDD for a few times, good electrical contact restored, and the LED started to operate now solely as HDD activity indicator.

I am going to keep my new gift for future use, now that I am convinced that this is 100% operational.  ;)

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix