!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Kiriakos New Project: 14.4V 4S 12A Lithium Battery PCB with SII IC  (Read 6441 times)

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Before some time I did purchase one of these 14.4V 4S 12A Lithium Battery PCB with SII IC, so to use with it some Lithium batteries from a working battery pack coming from a laptop, which died due an accident.
The owner of it was not that gentle to it.  :)

Either way those healthy 6x Lithium Batteries plus this controller is about having a second life, as I am planing to use this power pack as rechargeable source that it would power up the headlight and tail light of my bicycle.

Currently this project of my is at the Stage 1 ....  That is testing of the circuity.
By adding the batteries to it I got 15.4V right away.
This translates that my cells are 4.2V its one and so the expected output is 16.8V Max

When I was shopping for this board I also got five DC-DC 3A Buck Converter Adjustable Step-Down, therefore I can use these to step down the output of the master pack at any specific voltage that I am going to need.

Basically if I manage to get from this project enough power to hold the bicycle lights at full power for two hours I would be totally happy from it.

The project will be hosted in a waterproof box, that it would be permanently installed over the bicycle.
All details will posted in time.   ;)
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

giorgos

Re: Kiriakos New Project: 14.4V 4S 12A Lithium Battery PCB with SII IC
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 07:00:06 AM »
Very nice project!
It is very nice to have a bicycle too, it doesnt require to spend money for fuel, also its good for your health.
Regarding step down regulators, I have use them many times.
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/gib-Buck-Converter-Step-Down-Adjustable-Converter-Power-Module-Regulator-LM2596-/171264824047?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e02dd2ef
They are very useful cheap and suitable for a wide range of applications.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 09:29:50 AM »
Yes  LM2596 is my choice too.  :)

Back to my stage 1 testing...

By using one 12V 21W bulb as load managed to create a flow of 2A so to benchmark my batteries.
Instead of using data logging for having data of the actual discharge curve,  decided my first test to be more primitive by using just my eyes and a timer.  :P

The battery pack managed to work at 2A for 60 minutes and after that mark and in the next three minutes the battery voltage started drop down below 12V amazingly fast, so fast which I did not manage to record the actual CUT-OFF voltage.
I thought that I would getting at list 75 minutes by it and I was relaxed by moving around in my workshop, but I did not.

My first impression about this circuit it is very positive, even by be that tiny the load of 2A for 60 minutes it was not enough even to heat any electronic part over it = frozen.

The batteries it did become hot by reaching a temperature of about 40C.
After CUT-OFF my next thought was to recharge the batteries at the suggested max battery voltage of 16.8V but my power supply measured 6A and I though that is best to wait first so the batteries to cool-down before the next charging cycle.

The battery cells does not have printed specifications over them, but my opinion now is that they are at a minimum 2000mAh, which translates that their health are good and they can be trusted.
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 03:14:27 PM »
After some time and by finding an suitable box, I thought to further improve this project.
Found three used Samsung ICR18650-26F from a dead laptop, these cells are in fantastic condition.
And I am going to finalize this by adding a power switch, and female banana jacks.

I am working on the final details right now.  ;)

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 07:02:17 PM »
R&D team of ITTSB made it after all.  ;D

This is the final look of this project,  and I am very happy because I did managed to use several parts which I was have all ready.
The power switch is a used but high quality (made in Japan), also added to it an 12V LED which other than working as power LED this at total darkness works also as a torch light (approximately 100 Hours).
And finally the addition of nice soft silicon pads, makes it unmovable over the bench.

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix