!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: 2022 Pro-workstation build - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H - i7 4770 - DDR3 2400  (Read 3730 times)

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
I was after slightly modernizing my older workstation build, but this was not possible any more, I was had to switch at a fresher INTEL platform.
My cash flow at this period of time this is not limited but neither unlimited, and I did my upgrade by selecting best computer parts from the era of 2014 ~ 2016.

After few months of research (ending of 2021) I did finalize my wish list.
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H  the perfect candidate for a Pro workstation, up to ten SATA ports, Double INTEL 1000 LAN ports, 16 power phase stages,  DDR3 2400 support.
BIOS of 2018
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z87X-UD5H-rev-1x#ov   

Intel Core i7 4770 Processor 8M 3.40~3.7~3.90GHz TDP 84W  https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/75122/intel-core-i74770-processor-8m-cache-up-to-3-90-ghz.html

Mushkin Enhanced - Blackline  DDR3 2400 16GB Tested Latency: 11-13-13-13 (2015 production of double sided DDR3 2400 T1 ) http://www.poweredbymushkin.com/Home/index.php/catalog/memory/blackline?cm=0&f_speed=16&f_capacity=29

CPU cooler:  Prolimatech Armageddon along dual GELID  Silent 140mm PWM  http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=2150&subid=2306#showtab

Creative X-Fi Music PCI with drivers of 2019. The most excellent in sound quality sound card ever.

VGA NVIDIA: MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC (2016) 

My old CORSAIR CX750 (2013) this is not able to keep up due it age, and so getting a newer PSU this is now at my plans.

This topic represents a walk-thru guide of how to properly setup such a build in software and hardware, and many details are going to follow.  ;) 

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Part 1: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H electrical modifications.

While this GA-Z87X-UD5H motherboard, has six connectors for DC Fan,  only the CPU-FAN header this deliver PWM signal.
All other five Fan-headers they deliver adjustable voltage control.

At my CPU cooler,  Prolimatech Armageddon, I wanted to add dual DC fan these both be driven by PWM signal, but they should be also capable to give RPM feedback independently.
And I did make my very own DIY  2x PWM fan bridge PCB.   :)

The end product this is a solid tiny gadget, that becomes invisible as soon all DC fan connectors get attached to it.

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Part 2: Prolimatech Armageddon High-Performance cooler of 2010.

Back in 2010 we (Performance Enthusiast) knew that Prolimatech Armageddon, after this be tested and reviewed, that is advanced engineering and a true winner at heat dissipation.
Prolimatech never gave a clear answer of actual TDP capability, or of thermal resistance measurements.

But in the real world, the Armageddon succeed to deal successfully with all Intel 130 W TDP CPU (even the overclocked ones).

(Thermal Design Power (TDP) represents the average power, in watts, the processor dissipates when operating at Base Frequency with all cores active under an Intel-defined, high-complexity workload. )

Prolimatech Armageddon, this is not just a six heatpipe cooler tower, even the mounting brackets, this is another one mechanical structure with heat dissipation properties.
And therefore, entire structure of this cooler, base and body both designed to have heat dissipation properties.

The product design engineer of this cooler, he is a true expert and a bright example of ingenuity.
Too bad that we will never learn his name.       

Best DC fan for the Armageddon?
Armageddon was designed and tested so to be a perfect pair with Prolimatech Blue Vortex 14
140x25x25mm, Sleeve bearing, 1000±100RPM Max, 87 Max.CFM (65 CFM)

In the real world, I have never see in the past, Blue Vortex 14 to be able to deliver more than 890RPM as max, and so this specification this is rather generous.

My best find as Prolimatech Blue Vortex 14 upgrade this is GELID Silent PWM 140
140x25x25mm, hydro bearing, 750~1200RPM, 74.5 CFM.

By combining two GELID DC fan, the total CMF this now gets  74.5 x 2 = 149 CMF
But it has been proven that the actual thermal design of Armageddon, this does not take any advantage of any higher airflow than 100 CMF.

And therefore in my application,  these two GELID DC fan, will help Armageddon this to receive enough airflow, along more silent operation than if it was just one DC fan in use.

Here is a link of my older year 2020, partial PC hardware upgrade.
https://www.ittsb.eu/forum/index.php?topic=1615.0

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Part 3:  Intel Core i7 4770 Processor 8M 3.40~3.7~3.90GHz TDP 84W

For approximately ten years, I was happy by using my Intel Q6600 quad core (C4/4T) CPU, it shown powerful for anything other than video editing.
As soon I upgraded my graphic card to Nvidia GTX 1060, the Intel Q6600 this started to shown as not sufficient so to aloud the GTX1060 this to deliver it best.
My next though was to upgrade to Q9650 ( the king of socket 755), I did enjoy 25% improvement than Q6600, but GTX1060 this was in need for an even faster CPU.

Slow, Fast, these are confusing terms, if you are not aware of what makes an Intel CPU special in our times.
And this is the number of supported instruction set, Intel i7 4770 and the Haswell series, they include or support CPU instructions (packages), that gaming industry now taking advantage of them too.
While at the older Quad core series (LGA 775), their instruction set, was in use as acceleration engine of Microsoft DirectX alone, and also for other math calculations.

4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 Processors 
Every coin has two sides.
Side one = marketing
Side two = real world performance.

Haswell series 4770, 4790 ( Basic line along K models) they came to serve computing needs by delivering their best right out of the box.
The youth had the expectation that this is just another Intel series, that you can discover hidden performance by raising the clock speed.
The ones feeling as Car Racers, they found these news as disappointing.  :)

Haswell series 4770, 4790 has tiny internal differences, not measurable ones.
Even so this is a generation of CPU designed to serve 1080P gaming, at high frame rates up to 135 FPS.

Haswell CPU series this has another strong advantage over older series and this is DDR3 2800 support as Max.
DDR3 1600 this is considered as Natively supported specification for this CPU.
Top Tier FCLGA1150  motherboards they claim DDR3 3000 support.

But the truth this is somewhere in the middle.
Today I am happy to report that my fresh build this works stable and super fast, by the use of 2x8GB of DDR3 2400 (double sided component), at Command Rate of 1T.

Beginning of the year 2015, and at a timing that Haswell CPU's these was not that popular and neither DDR3, leaders as is Hynix and Kingston they did release top tier DDR3 at 2400, and then switched their priority to DDR4 production.

Mushkin Blackline FROSTBYTE 997123F -> JEDEC: DDR3 1600 / XMP: 2400 / CL11-13-13 @1.65V

HyperX HX324C11SRK2/16  SAVAGE   -> JEDEC: DDR3 1600 / XMP: 2400  / CL11-13-14 @1.65V

I got very lucky by finding a pair of Mushkin Blackline 997123F , even as used here in Europe.
This is truly exceptional  DDR3 memory which it does boost Intel Core i7 4770 performance at highest levels regarding bandwidth.    8)

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Part 4: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H the most features rich motherboard so to host an Haswell

Gigabyte this armed GA-Z87X-UD5H with several features that a professional workstation can take of advantage too.

ULTRA Durable 5: Further improved PCB for an further extended product lifecycle.
16 Power phases:  By the use of fresh technology of MosFet, lesser consumption, lesser self heating, smart Mosfet control circuit = lesser power consumption at low loads.   

Double INTEL LAN NIC's: Capable for parallel operation (Teaming) and 2000 Mbit/s  bandwidth.
Double SATA controllers :  Both capable for RAID configuration, and or Ten SATA devices in total.
Double USB 3.0 controllers:  Intel Z87 along uPD720210 (driver-less USB 3.0 HUB developed by NEC-Renesas Japan)

Double BIOS Chips
PCI legacy Slot: Something of greatest importance to me, my Creative X-Fi music an sound-card of retail value of 120 Euro, this is now again part of my build.
PCI-e 3.0 x16
USB 2.0 ports.
Serial Port.
Six DC fan headers.
Boot sequence Diagnostic LED display (two digits).

What Gigabyte product designers they did wrong on this motherboard, this is that they dare to interfere and alter the behavior of the HDD activity indicator LED.
The LED instead to be off at lowest HDD activity, this blink at a steady rate of once per second.
They probably though to add some sort of modernization, when in the reality they did found a good way to irritate other people nerves.

Latest BIOS available this is 10F ( of 2018) and you have to request a copy due Gigabyte customer support team.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Part 5: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H  - Drivers Software

This is a list of most recent driver pack ever released.

Intel INF 10.1.1.44  2018 
Intel INF Management Engine Interface 11.7.0.1057 - 19.11.2017
Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) Version 15.9.8.1053 WHQL  July 2020
At my Win 7 Pro I did revert back to RST 14.10.0.1016  2/2016 ( I do not recommend anything newer)

Intel(R) I210 Gigabit Network Connection 12.13.27.0  5-2016 = Higher performance NIC hardware
Intel(R) I217V Gigabit Network Connection 12.15.25.6 3-2017 = Economy NIC hardware

Intel USB 3.0 Driver - 5.0.4.43 V2          Latest 2018

Intel VGA Driver 15.40.48.5171    February 05 2021

Marvel SATA Controller Driver 1.2.0.1049    2016
Marvell Storage Utility 4.1.10.2043             2018
Marvell Console Driver 1.0.0.1020

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Gigabyte SIV (System information Viewer) this is essential software, mostly because it includes the software module this named as Smart Fan Advanced.   

Smart Fan Advanced This aloud setting a curve of RPM VS Temperature for its one DC Fan.
It is unfortunate that Gigabyte does not offer a specific user guide manual about this software.
It is also unfortunate that all people getting this class of motherboards they were blind so to observe and discover of Smart Fan Advanced REAL configuration settings.

No one noticed that all five or six DC Fan RPM control window, its one uses different source as temperature sensor.

Gigabyte Choices are:
CPU FAN + CPU OPT : Both using CPU temperature sensor.

System Fan 1 , System Fan 2, System Fan 3, System Fan 4&5: All using motherboard temperature sensor instead.

The conclusion CPU FAN + CPU OPT settings curve has no similarities with the required curve for any of the System Fan ones.

Motherboard temperature sensor this might have a range of 15C ~ 40C in a well ventilated tower case.
CPU temperature sensor this might have a range of 15C ~ 100C (depending at the quality of CPU cooler system).

Therefore according to Gigabyte way of thinking, System Fan this is for motherboard protection against overheat, and it should be configured accordingly to the specific sensor.
I have to offer two screenshot, the second is the magnifying glass which illuminates and removes all doubts.

Notes:
(Yes CPU Celsius of 19 or 20C this is the same source).
(Download the images for a better review)

Offline Andrew-88

• job title: Electrician
Excellent work as PC components analyst  :)
If you do have the talent, you can use it at all technological sectors.
Unfortunately neither this industry it is generous with PC products reviewers.    ;)

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Excellent work as PC components analyst  :)
If you do have the talent, you can use it at all technological sectors.
Unfortunately neither this industry it is generous with PC products reviewers.    ;)

I am amazed by the capabilities of this motherboard model, at measuring so many electrical parameters due the huge amount of dedicated on-board sensors.
You need more or less 200.000 Euro in test equipment so to do such an evaluation.

The discovery of few other details it is a mater of patience and about focusing your eyes and brain at the right direction.   ;D

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
June is here, and I did some system logging at 01:52:00 Gaming session.

While I did verify that overall my air-cooled PC this is at top performance, I will share few details about GA-Z87X-UD5H heating up time per component.
With 28.5C room temp:

MB Sensor:

minimum 32C
within 10 Minutes : 36C
within 36 Minutes : 37C (average)
Peak : 37C   

INTEL PCH Sensor
minimum 43C
within 7 Minutes : 47C
47.56C (average)
Peak : 49C   

CPU temperature + Prolimatech Armageddon

Core  --  Heatsink
38C  ---   27C
56.59C --  46.02  (average)
62C   -----  51C (Peak)

Prolimatech Armageddon cooler this required 15 Minutes so to get warm and stabilize (at average temperature).
Even after 10 years of using it, this CPU cooler it does continues to amazes me with it performance !! 

In summary, if you do own GA-Z87X-UD5H or similar,  warmup time so all parts or components to get thermally stable this is no less than 37 Minutes of Gaming session.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Re: 2022 Pro-workstation build - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H - i7 4770 - DDR3 2400
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2023, 08:51:33 PM »
Realtek ALC889 and Win 7 64bit / Best driver version

After extended research, several tests of Realtek driver versions, the ideal and fully functional driver:
R2.81  5-1-2017  6.0.1.8036

a) Realtek HD Audio manager, this works successfully
b) Realtek HD Audio manager, CPL appears at windows control panel, and also the icon appears at the task bar.

-----------------------------------------
A bit of history ...
Shanghai – April 02, 2008
Realtek Semiconductor Corp.will demonstrate its latest R&D achievements at the Spring 2008 Intel Developer Forum

High Definition Audio Codecs with Embedded Class-D Amplifier
ALC889

The ALC889 is a 7.1+2ch DAC/6ch ADC High Definition Audio Codec offering quality audio performance (DAC 108dB SNR, ADC 104dB SNR).
The multi-channel DAC/ADC is the ideal choice for home entertainment PCs, providing support for multi-streaming to enable enjoyment of 7.1-channel audio/movies/on-line gaming, etc, and simultaneous 2-channel VoIP.
The ALC889 complies with the latest Microsoft Windows Vista Premium requirements, and offers DSD (Direct Stream Digital) format support and Full Rate Blu-Ray/HD DVD playback capabilities.
--------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to expect that hardware of 2008 with a driver of 2017,  this is a perfect combination, because the driver it is mature and stable.  8)

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Re: 2022 Pro-workstation build - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H - i7 4770 - DDR3 2400
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2023, 10:32:17 PM »
Marvell 92xx SATA 6G Controller and Win 7 64bit / Best driver version

Marvell software engineers they must be HUGE nerds,  web interface as Storage Utility?  :P

I got motivated to explore 88SE9230 in depth features, because of the windows service Marvell PNP Listener
Marvell PNP Listener.. does it really required to run all times?

Then I started to also question my self, of what SATA device I did had plug over the Marvell controller?
Marvell Storage Utility_4.1.10.2046 this has it all,  Driver 1.2.0.1048 & console 4.1.10.2046 (1 Dec 2020)

Marvell Storage Utility tools:
Viewing Properties of Physical Disk
RAID array control
Virtual Disk creation
monitoring and email alerts

At my 88SE9230, I am now aware that I have three free ports, and that I have plugged in only my optical drive (DVD recorder).
And therefore constant monitoring and alerts they are not required.   :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marvell 9230 SATA 6G Controller
Firmware Version            2.3.0.1050
Boot Loader Version    2.1.0.1005
Driver Version                    1.2.0.1049
Chip Revision ID            A0
Vendor ID                   1B4B
Sub Vendor ID           1458
Device ID                   9230
Sub Device ID                 0000

Port Count               4
Max PCIe Speed       5Gb/s
Current PCIe Speed    5Gb/s
Max PCIe Link            2X
Current PCIe Link    2X

Supported RAID Modes    RAID0, RAID1, RAID10, HyperDuo (Capacity), HyperDuo (Safe)
Supported Stripe Size    32K 64K
Maximum PD per Adapter    7
Supported VD Cache       None
Maximum VD per Adapter    4
Maximum PD per VD    4
Maximum Port Multiplier    1
Poll S.M.A.R.T Status    ON / OFF
Model    88SE9230
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix