!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Beware when buying USED Western Digital Enterprise HDD from eBay  (Read 798 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Back in time 2017, when new generation of Western Digital Enterprise HDD shown in the market (128MB cache), they did cost allot.
Most consumers of Desktop PC, they were forced to experiment with SSD solutions instead, mostly because of the lower cost.

Fewer stayed faithful at the Number 1 golden rule, there is nothing more reliable than platters.

Christmas holidays - New Year holidays, this is a period that most of us we stop thinking tools and work, and we pay more attention at computer part upgrades.
December of 2023 there is something strange happening at eBay all around the globe.

There is a wide availability of USED Western Digital Enterprise HDD at 20% of their price as New ??
I did start an investigation, and discovered that many take apart  NAS HDD Storage boxes, inside are several Western Digital Enterprise HDD, most of them are 1TB and much fewer are higher than that.

Most of these sellers does not wish to inform the buyer,  that these HDD has been used under significant workload, and while operating hours seems fewer, these HDD were stressed much more, within a poorly ventilated NAS box.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Here comes a very useful find that I am going to donate to our society.  :)
Its not free fish, but rather a valuable hint.

Western Digital Enterprise HDD these sold for NAS box, they came with different revision of firmware than what retail HDD are sold with.
For example,  WD Gold series drive of xTB capacity, retail HDD has a specific firmware that stays identical for ever.
WD Gold series these sold to NAS manufacturer they have a different firmware.

If you succeed finding what is retail firmware for the HDD drive that you are interested for?   Then you can ask any potential seller of what is the firmware version at the used drive?
Any different firmware from the retail = HDD coming from dismantled  NAS box.

I have still faith at cyclic economy, used products are not trash, but this case it is a different one.
What most people do,  when NAS box with four or eight HDD starts failing = two HDD failing or making weird mechanical noises,  they dismantle the NAS box and selling all still working HDD.
This explains of why you see nowadays piles of listed opportunities, so you to get Enterprise HDD  starting from 22 Euro.  :P         

I would trust more, any seller with the offering of Crystal Disk Info report this present at his eBay listing.   ;)
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Online overvolt

• Industrial installer Electrician
  • Global Moderator
Re: Beware when buying USED Western Digital Enterprise HDD from eBay
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2023, 11:47:16 PM »
I did some homework of my own too  ;)
HDD with 64MB of cache they are much older hardware.

So we need to find an innocent home user who owns a used retail Enterprise HDD.
Not that easy to find in our times, when the ones dismantling networking systems they are flooding eBay with their listings.

Good luck mate.  :) 

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix