!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Mini Pliers (electrical electronics) and basics regarding hardness in HRC scale  (Read 4393 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
I did recently purchase a few Low-cost Mini Pliers, and this become a fresh opportunity for me so to rediscover hand-tools specifications.   

All three pliers which I get they include and a cutter section.
The factory told me that these are 30-35 HRC and minimum test cutting diameter should be 0.8mm or higher.
This now explains of why when I tried to cut telephone single core wire of 0.5 and even 0.4mm wire of network cable, the results was not that perfect.
The copper wire was crushed by 98% (by the tool cutter) but not perfect cut and separation. 

This now translates that tools made of carbon steel, they are good for general purpose, but due the low hardness of 30-35 HRC they can not become raiser sharp cutters and survive in long term.

The next level up: This is Chrome Vanadium Steel, at this point we are talking of 60 HRC hardness, and the cutter will be able to be further sharpened (in the factory) so to handle lower in diameter material's which could be harder than copper.
In other words the Chrome Vanadium Steel is the element which can produce tools bringing the name of precision cutters and pliers.

The next level up: This is promises and claims made by steel experts and champions in this field, that their offerings are up to 70 ~ 75 HRC hardness.
These guys aiming costumers which manufacturing and maintaining aircraft.
Price tags get tremendously high, over the 20 Euro mark with 60 Euro as average.   

Personally I am not happy from my last purchase of Knipex cutter four years ago.         
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Offline cluca1969

• job title: Electronics developer
I bought a set of pliers from Knipex last year and I am very pleased with them.
I tried to build a custom set of pliers and cutters from Knipex and I think I succeeded.
What models do you have from Knipex and are you not very happy with them ?

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
This is one comparison which I did in the past and up to date I have the same opinion.

https://www.ittsb.eu/forum/index.php?topic=717.0
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Offline cluca1969

Unfortunately, KNIPEX still makes a big difference between the West European and East European markets, and here I am referring to the quality of the products they sell, or maybe they sell refurbished tools.
As an example I can point to a kit posted earlier that about half of the pliers were locked, I had to use a lot of force to open them.
I had no choice and I had to adjust it with a fine file and fine sandpaper.
Of course, the results were as expected, I got some western quality tools.

KNIPEX (if you read these) please don't play with our money anymore, we work hard for them !!!

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Well I am totally disappointed with Knipex 7861125 ESD.

With such small cutting jaws opening you are unable to stress the tool beyond limits, even so and with lightweight use, this tool it is now problematic.
Master pin axle this is not tight any more,  cutters are almost out of aliment, cutting jaws injured at several places.

I use this tool mostly to fine trim soldered components leads, and many times I did strip insulation of copper multi-core cable.

I can not justify this magnitude of destruction over the specific tool, and that this is happened because I broke or violated  the rules of the universe.
Actually I have now a better explanation, KNIPEX sold to me regular carbon steel with a bit of hardening at tremendously high price.
This Knipex 7861125 ESD it should never sold higher than SIX Euro coins, because is not worth that much.     

Offline cluca1969

I'm sorry about your problem with the Knipex side cutter, I have one in the same situation as yours.
And if we talk about the problems caused by Knipex I have some news.
This year I bought another side cutter KNIPEX 76 81 125 and of course I had another nice surprise that I will show in a few pictures that I will post here.
The problem was solved the next day, the supplier changed it to me with a new one without paying another shipping tax.
One day has passed very hard for me with this scrap in my house.

So where is the German quality, KNIPEX ?

Offline cluca1969

And to tell the story about the quality of KNIPEX that I met, I'll show you another real case that I have experienced on the my wallet skin.
In the kit shown above with the 12 pieces there is a pliers KNIPEX 37 31 125 that a friend of mine has and who bought it from a private person.
In this way, I discovered a huge difference between our products from the Est and those from the West.
On the left side is mine and on the right side of my friend.

I apologize to KNIPEX and I hope I do not denigrate them, but it is necessary to draw a line in the face of these quality differences.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
I think that we should replace the primarily topic title with the one: LIVE YOUR MYTH with KNIPEX.  :D

At about end of 2017, I found this KNIPEX 68-180 fully covered with cement and thrown in a bucket and both thrown to city waste boxes for collection by the truck.

Originally I was not aware that this was a KNIPEX tool,  I just got it and started cleaning the cement all over it with the required patience.
45 minutes later I was able to fully identify it.
Tool condition almost undamaged, then I did store it an kept it clean up to date.

This topic forced me to remember this tool, I took few pictures to share, I am unable to identify production date, but a quick visit at KNIPEX website it did informed me, that this is class of 61 HRC hardness.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
I'm sorry about your problem with the Knipex side cutter, I have one in the same situation as yours.

I am not in pain because Knipex 7861125 ESD -> the leader of KNIPEX Electronic Super Knips -> Cutting edge hardness approx. 64 HRC -> shown as poor performer.
I will simply never demonstrate any trust to them and every one will be happy.

Ten days ago I did my first attempt to contact PIERGIACOMI in Italy,  their products has much better price/performance ratio within south Europe.

Within 2020 there is no more BLIND trust demonstration, any tools aiming electronics workshop they will have to be tested and reviewed by experts.

In the positive side of things the American Huron it did find the way to get in the Greek market by fresh distributors, and therefore there is now many players in the game. 

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix