!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Staubli XBS-58 BNC male disassembly  (Read 3936 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Staubli XBS-58 BNC male disassembly
« on: November 03, 2022, 09:01:00 PM »
Today I did spotted a failure at RG58 cable of my AC/DC current probe.
Current probe this made in France.
Probe connector this is BNC male, from Staubli with actual part model XBS-58 BNC.
I use this probe at my Oscilloscope and at my multimeter.

Several years ago I did receive a small Staubli connectors sample pack from a local Greek dealer.
Quantity of about ten connectors within the samples bag,  banana type male in assembled short cable, banana female a single XBS-58 male, and other Staubli BNC of soldered type.
All was a single bit, and I was unable to use them so to make any pair of wires.

This story is now six years old, and I did forgot that XBS-58 BNC this is 100% for crimped connection.
You do crimp the master pin, you do crimp RG58 jacket, external  plastic hard cover this has two groves internally, at assembly BNC body this lock-in on these groves, and this is it.

My AC/DC current probe has identical connector, but I thought that I might stand lucky and succeed to take it apart with out killing it.
( Staubli thinks or expects that when the cable goes bad, you do toss away and the fancy high-voltage insulated BNC connector. )

I did succeed to take this connector apart, hard  plastic cover removed.
Crimped cable jacked, lost it strengths with a bit of heating.
But the master pin this is crimped at the old cable and I have to think of how to convert it to soldered type, so to connect it at my new cable.     

First conclusion.
Staubli XBS-58 BNC male disassembly and reuse this is one adventure with out warranted happy end.   

I did take few photographs for demonstration purposes, of how XBS-58 internals look like.

(If you are willing to pay 8~9 Euro retail, for a new connector ? Then this topic it is not for you.)  ;D 

I feel optimistic that with a gentle treatment and patience, this connector will become usable again, few cosmetic damages was unavoidable.
At my upcoming forum post, I will demonstrate the remake success.

Always there is and a plan B, Military specifications silver plated but used BNC connector ;)   
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Online Andrew-88

• job title: Electrician
Re: Staubli XBS-58 BNC male disassembly
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 11:05:53 AM »
I think its best to move at plan B.

This connector plastic body cannot warrant anymore BNC locking force with a BNC female.
You got this probe as used, you was unaware of how gently this probe has be used in the past.

RG58 failure this is a good proof to me, that previews owner was not using such tools with a gently manner.
The plastic grove for BNC locking this has extreme amount of wear, destroyed by friction, this was totally unseen until to take this connector apart as you did.

You can reuse the Staubli XBS-58 metal barrel alone at low of importance other projects.  ;)       

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 04:16:48 PM »
Last night I was very tired, when I did take and post pictures and my thoughts.

I did follow the plan B by leaving aside the plan A.

My stock of used BNC connectors this is made by KINGS by Winchester (brand), stock of 90s with gold plated pin and silver housing.
Part number: KINGS-KC-59-545

Now I am happy again.  :)

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Online Andrew-88

• job title: Electrician
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2022, 04:22:54 PM »
This American BNC seems more valuable in retail price that the Staubli.  :)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2022, 05:15:10 PM »
This American BNC seems more valuable in retail price that the Staubli.  :)

Some retail channels has listed price of 16 USD.  :P

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix