!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: SMB-2118 Triscanner Detector for Wood - Metal and AC Voltage - Tool or Toy ?  (Read 3775 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
One friend of my gave me as gift one SMB-2118 Metal and AC Voltage detector.

I have never see the specific gadget and a quick background check pointed out that this was sold by Lidl Super market somewhere at 2018.
My quick testing show that this thing works but the results are confusing.

The circuit this is Chinese made by no-name and ancient components and technology.
How to use instructions they are useless.

Nothing made sense prior finding a picture of the actual PCB taken by some one else, the gadget does not have easy way to be disassembled.

Either way this has two sensors, at top side here is the one for metals and AC Voltage.
Wood sensor this is placed at the back and approximately behind the Model number label area.

1) As AC voltage tester this works with very poor sensitivity, you should actually touch the gadget with a live power cord.

2) Metal detector this is poor too regarding detection distance (lesser than 1 centimeter).
It is interesting the fact that it does detect iron along with cooper and aluminum too and even Gold ( I have a Gold cross with chain around my neck).

3) Wood sensor this has also the detection limit of  1 centimeter.

This is no actual product review, but this gadget can not be trusted for professional work in Europe that we use concrete and brick in our structures.
This is something made exclusively with in mind Plasterboard structures.
Plasterboard this is not thick, Plasterboard this is mounted over wood or metal frame, Plasterboard back side this is the installation area of gas or water  pipes along electric wires.

If the manufacturer was sincere at product description?  The no one of them it would be sold in EU.  >:(

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix