!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Power Supply Efficiency Formula - Calculate Power Supply Efficiency  (Read 2488 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
The huge downsize of our WWW this is copy paste and reprint of inaccurate information from piss-poor Blogs.

I was after Power Supply Efficiency Formula, and I did find the correct answer after a fifth attempt. 

Formula: Efficiency = (Energy input / output) x100 %

To better explore this, let's start from the DC side of my New triple DC load-tester  https://www.ittsb.eu/forum/index.php?topic=1745.0

12V  Rail = 11.90V x 21.8A  = 259.4   Watt
5V    Rail = 5.04     x 6.9A    =   34.77 Watt
3.3V Rail = 3.20     x 5.8A    =   18.56

DC SUM = 312.73 VA = Watt

AC Power meter measurement 373.4 Watt  

Efficiency =  312.73 (Input) / 373.4 Output = 0,8375200856989823   x100 =  83,75 200856989823 %

In order for us to have good clues of measured accuracy, we need to be aware first of measuring uncertainty range.
In this example the worst performer is the AC Power meter with +/_ 2%
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Online Andrew-88

• job title: Electrician
Re: Power Supply Efficiency Formula - Calculate Power Supply Efficiency
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2022, 12:22:11 PM »
What was the mistake that you did find at the wrong formula?

But wait, the only thing that can go wrong this is Energy input / output, this to be reversed.
The reversed formula will give 119% instead ..  ;)   

So the NEW triple DC load, this is now verified as be successful  8)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2022, 12:57:07 PM »
What was the mistake that you did find at the wrong formula?

But wait, the only thing that can go wrong this is Energy input / output, this to be reversed.
The reversed formula will give 119% instead ..  ;)   

So the NEW triple DC load, this is now verified as be successful  8)

All true about the formula.  ;)
When I did use the wrong one and got 119%, my first thought was WTF is going on ?  >:(

The triple DC load due the simplicity of the electrical design, it will deliver named VA-Watt load, at every PSU that all voltage rails does not sag under load, below the named output.
For example, original design calculation for 12V rail = 12.100V x 22A  = 266,2 VA | Watt 
Another parameter this is warm-up time of the Load-tester prior taking seriously any measurements.
I am going to need few more days, for testing and so to understand of how I should use it as comparison point.

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Online Andrew-88

• job title: Electrician
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 10:15:06 PM »
Good to know !! 

Thanks mate.  :)

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix