!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: USB 2.0 to IDE and SATA HDD accessory (What's inside) IC GL830  (Read 2349 times)

Online Andrew-88

• job title: Electrician
For about 10 years year, I do own one USB 2.0  to IDE 3.5" / 2.5" Plus SATA HDD accessory.
Today due a small accident, the plastic covers were separated with out damage.
And before gluing it back together, I did took a photograph so to share it with ITTSB Blog visitors.  :)

Inside there is large IC GL830,  GL830 USB 2.0 to SATA Bridge Controller.
Over the years I did use this adapter with several HDD and at different PC, with out any problems at all.

I am now thinking to get the newest equivalent at USB 3.0 version, and I do wonder, does it worth this upgrade?

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Re: USB 2.0 to IDE and SATA HDD accessory (What's inside) IC GL830
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2023, 12:54:54 PM »
I am now thinking to get the newest equivalent at USB 3.0 version, and I do wonder, does it worth this upgrade?

I also have identical gadget, I also do identical thoughts about the USB 3.0, but I use it primarily as HDD tool.
Most HDD of past decade they do deliver at average 50MB/s.
Most newer and very expensive HDD they can deliver up to 200MB/s.
And latest SSD they do deliver  350~450 MB/s.

The specific USB 2.0 to SATA Bridge Controller, at my PC this can transfer 30MB/s as max due the USB 2.0 bandwidth.
My current thoughts, for as long I do not have any Terabyte in size HDD, I do not feel limited due the USB 3.0 (while my current PC this has ten of USB 3.0 ports). :) 

SATA port over IC GL830 this is capable for data rates of 1.5 Gbps and 3.0 Gbps = 375000 MB/s
At hardware dated of the year 2007 this is not considered as bottleneck.

The equivalent USB 3.0 Bridge Controller, this is priced about 11 USD at eBay, and this is a hostile pricing for my taste.   
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Online Andrew-88

• job title: Electrician
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2023, 09:28:22 PM »
I can also confirm that at my PC, this USB 2.0 Bridge Controller it does have identical transfer rate as Max.

So best advice appears to be, in case of gadget permanent damage, only then it worth getting the newer version. ;)
Thanks Mate!

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2023, 09:52:27 PM »
I can also confirm that at my PC, this USB 2.0 Bridge Controller it does have identical transfer rate as Max.

So best advice appears to be, in case of gadget permanent damage, only then it worth getting the newer version. ;)
Thanks Mate!

All true, only this scenario justify a new purchase. 
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix