!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Hot Air Rework station Diaphragm Pump & Basic Theory of Operation  (Read 10380 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
I got interested to find out how those diaphragm pumps work, because my disordering gun an expensive DENON SC-5000 ( 20 years old) stopped working due a damaged rubber diaphragm, which is not produced any more.

By having the DENON parts at hand it become easier for me to understand the basic mechanical operation of those pumps.
The hot air rework station pump follows the same principals of operation with the single diafragm pump,
by combining the output of four diaphragm's it manages to multiply it output in air flow.

Unfortunately the combined output of high air flow it can maintained only if its one diaphragm is in excellent condition.
If one of the four fail, all the pump fails to deliver an usable air flow output.

Bellow are some sample pictures of a rework pump,  plus one schematic that I did by combining everything that I learned today about those pumps.
And finally one picture of the diafragm of my DENON SC-5000 which I am not going to repair.

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Re: Hot Air Rework station Diaphragm Pump & Basic Theory of Operation
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 08:04:03 PM »
Possibly I got confused by the shape and made an estimate that there is two diaphragms in its compartment.

I found on you-tube this video which is truly amazing,  this pump uses identical technology with those rework stations pumps.
By watching this video you will be finally aware about most details of this design.
Unfortunately I have no idea who can supply spare parts ( new diafragm discs) for those hot air rework pumps.

If some one holds this information please post it.

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

giorgos

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 08:17:30 PM »
I think that is hard to find spare parts, because they are exclusive industrial stuff.
Maybe by contact with manufacturer , if he is supplying spare parts. But in this case the parts are for specific product, so there is a small application range.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 08:38:28 PM »
Maybe by contact with manufacturer , if he is supplying spare parts.

This is a good idea, I do have an open communication window with the factory in China which is the maker of the rework station that I plan to get.
Their answer would be a great sign of their level of reliability regarding customer support services.  ;)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 02:25:54 PM »
One detail that attracted my interest so to explore too, are those single ball rota-meter ( rotameter / flowmeter )  for measuring air flow.
And so I just purchased one of those 5-25 L/minute  ( flow meter ) so to use it as one comparison point in one review that I am planing to do.

Most manufacturers describe as Max  specification for those pumps from 20L to 24L.
But most of the on-board flow meters in the rework stations comes with a very different scale from 1 to 6 but definably this measurement is not Air L/Min.

I did a small discovery that HAKKO did use a flow meter of a L/Min scale in their FR-802, and I am posting a picture of it.
One nice tip in the HAKKO FR-802 users manual is : To never use lower air flow than 5 L/Min.

My current answered question is what represents this scale of 1-6 at those air-work stations?

While I am still looking for answers I will post some pictures so to trigger your interest too. :)   

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 12:11:38 PM »
After some research I think that I came close to the most logical answer regarding the L/Min and the scale in those Airflow meters.

It very possible their scale to be in gpm = US gallon per minute.
I did play with the converter below and it looks as the most logical explanation.

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/flow_rate_volume/liter_min.html

Another interesting find is the picture below, is that the manufacturer mentions the L/Min as equivalent toKPa.

I think that I am close to solve this puzzle.  ;)   

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 12:27:58 PM »
I am very happy today, the arrival of the specialized L/Min meter is a fact.   8) 
Since today the ITTSB becomes capable to offer an reliable opinion regarding the pumps of those Hot-Air stations, at the cost of 13,37EUR
Nothing comes for free.  ;)   

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix