!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: PSU repair: Thermaltake ToughPower PSH 750W tween brother of HiPER HPU-4M780-PE  (Read 3219 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Thermaltake ToughPower PSH 750W (Year 2005) this is another child of the successful  CWT electronic circuit also known as PSH II xy-ZZ.

HiPER HPU-4M780-PE this is a PSU shown in the market at 2008, it is also made by  CWT and it is also an PSH II xy-ZZ.

HIPER requested from CWT their ODM:
1) PCB this be branded as HIPER
2) Few capacitors at 5V Rail they are selected to have double capacitance
3) From total quantity of heatsink, one selected to be more oversized. 
This is how the 750W Max PSU this were stretched so to become 780W plus a long life one.

ToughPower 750W AP
It is obvious that Thermaltake did not request or add any pressure at  CWT, so them to deliver back anything more than the standard model.
SAMHON Large Electrolytic capacitors they are still alive, fifteen years later, but their capacity decreased by 35% at least.
Example: 2200uF capacitor this now measure close to 1600uF, ESR still not bad either.   

This is the year 2022 and I am exploring fifteen years old technology, for a very good reason, it proven it self as extremely future proof.   

Electronics status report:
a) HiPER HPU-4M780-PE: This suddenly demonstrated issues, unstable 5V VSB and it can not start-up (while it is trying unsuccessfully)

b)ToughPower 750W AP: This were saved from be recycled, totally functional, few capacitors significantly degraded, but it does power-on.

Therefore I have now two projects in my hands, my priority this is the HiPER to recover back as fully functional.
It was a great surprise for me, my personal discovery that specific HIPER and Thermaltake model they are identical.  :)   

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Just of curiosity I did test the shields of Thermaltake.  :)

Me
Can I have a copy of it Electronics schematic?

Thermaltake
Greetings,

I regret to inform you that we do not have access to that kind of information, it's not something we normally give out.
Best Regards,
Thermaltake Customer Service
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
I have just come out of the battlefield, with smoke at my face but also as a winner.   ;D

HiPER HPU-4M780-PE this is now refurbished with high quality components.
I did lost the count of how many hours needed speaking of process duration.

Speaking of electronics, the PSU it does start-up with out any load at all.
But at approximately two minutes time, they are indication of unstable voltage incident and recovery.
I did use the good advice from ToughPower PSH 750Wspesifications datasheet,  and I did add a minimum DC load at 3.3V and 12V rails.

With both rails at minimum load the PSU worked good as new for 30 minutes =  It did PASS the test run successfully.

12.12 V x 1.36 A = 16.48W
3.33 V x 1.21 A  =  4.02W
DC load sum =  20.50W

ACV consumption 36W , Power off mode = 2W 

This is actually the detail, which this generation of PSU they shown their age, and this is minimum consumption at power off.
At normal use they waste 5~7 watt more, in contrast with a PSU this complying at  ATX 2.4 instead to the older ATX 2.2

I am now going to take notes, make the parts list of all degraded and removed parts from the HiPER, so to order new for the upcoming repair of the Thermaltake ToughPower 750AP  ;)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
The next chapter of this adventure, this has to do with the measurement error of onboard motherboard voltage sensors.

All three DMM at the previews test, they are unquestionably more accurate that any low cost voltage sensor.

5V Rail =  5.133 V    /  5.1V            due MB sensor
12V Rail = 12.120 V /  12.096 V     due MB sensor
3.3V Rail = 3.329 V  /  3.363 V      due MB sensor

The test it is performed with the PC at idle state, windows power management setting = high performance
PSU watt from mains = 104.5W
Previously the CORSAIR CX750 = ATX 2.4  this as more modern it was able to limit down power consumption at 96.5W
HIPER this is older product = ATX 2.2 and as such it has a lower power efficiency, and the outcome this is 8W of higher consumption.

My PC system this were also tested at gaming mode  ;D for several hours, max recorded consumption this was 271 Watt, but the real consumption it is higher than that.
Low cost plug-in AC power meter, they are very slow, slow sampling interval does not help at all regarding accuracy.

Even with out an comparison with a much faster professional power meter,  I am aware that Min and Max consumption values these are always in significant error, along with the power factor.

INTEL speed-step this is technology helping the CPU to mostly stay cooler by lowering CPU frequency, lowest at my CPU this is 800MHz and 3700 MHz the max (all cores active).
INTEL speed-step this gets activated at windows power management setting = Balanced.
The fast switching of CPU frequencies, this is enough to increase further the measurement error of any budget plug-in AC power meter.
Especially Power Factor measurement this is now at huge error.

The conclusion, this is that a power meter for PC PSU evaluation, this must offer sampling rate of nothing less than four times per second.
Motherboard Voltage sensors measurement error, this has a lesser importance, when the PSU this has be inspected by more reliable tools.  ;)

Offline overvolt

• Industrial installer Electrician
  • Global Moderator
Just of curiosity, which one of the two do you like best?
ToughPower represents the same engine but in modular cables version.

Online Andrew-88

• job title: Electrician
Just of curiosity I did test the shields of Thermaltake.  :)

Me
Can I have a copy of it Electronics schematic?

Thermaltake
Greetings,

I regret to inform you that we do not have access to that kind of information, it's not something we normally give out.
Best Regards,
Thermaltake Customer Service

Yes, Europe at 80s ~ 90s was the last one offered Electronics schematic with TV, VCR and other products of importance.
Asia this is totally disconnected from such healthy thinking, of having their products easily repaired.

Kiriakos I am really happy  for you,  this HIPER has proven it strengths all ready, I bet that you did your best again.
Your action saved your wallet of 200 Euro expenses, and this good news !!  at this troublesome period of time.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Just of curiosity, which one of the two do you like best?
ToughPower represents the same engine but in modular cables version.

a) ToughPower DC fan, this is more audible due the basic ball bearing in use,  the HIPER appears to use Hydro bearing = noiseless
b) From ToughPower 750 AP, there is missing one of the two SATA ( Modular cables) I am now thinking to attach a permanent cable to it.
Overall the HIPER it is better, more attention to detail.   :)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Kiriakos I am really happy  for you,  this HIPER has proven it strengths all ready, I bet that you did your best again.
Your action saved your wallet of 200 Euro expenses, and this good news !!  at this troublesome period of time.

When I will refurbish and the ToughPower 750AP, then I will double the savings at 400 Euro  ;D
Thanks mate!

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
More news:
ToughPower PSH 750W modular has also a tween brother at modular series = CHIEFTEC Turbo CFT-750-14C 750 W

Original CHIEFTEC website this is dead,  but some one in Germany maintain the logo of chieftronic.
They appear capable to sale modular cables in case that you have lost any of the original set.

Regarding specifications
CFT-750-14C = 80 Plus
CFT-750-14CS  =  75% efficiency

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix